AMD Confirms Ryzen 4000 ‘Zen 3’ Desktop CPU Compatibility With X570 & B550 Motherboards – No Plans T

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by jwb1, May 7, 2020.

1. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    The prices of mainstream processors are not higher but, go ahead, provide proof, it you want. Also, show me evidence that AMD has higher HEDT prices but hey, you cannot and therefore, do not even bother, unless you want to.

2. Exige245

Exige245 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT
    Yep it was definitely AMD who made the Product design decisions for those mobo manufacturers to use 16MB rom chips specifically on 3xx and 4xx chipsets, along with the UEFI bios designs, the phase power designs, the RGB LED patterns, etc...

No, I believe that AMD likely sets strategic goals for the motherboards from a Product standpoint- something to the tune of..."The 5xx chipset should support the latest PCIE 4.0 standard"

The strategic product goal for BIOS chipset support is likely something along the lines of..."The 3xx chipset should support multiple generations of AMD CPUs"

However, the size of the ROM chips used by the manufacturers is a tactical tech-spec to support this strategic product goal. This is the "how" that is driven by design engineering teams of the mobo manufacturers to meet AMD's product goals in the most efficient/profitable way possible for their company.

3. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Not really, amd has always been lax , probably too lax tbh (am3 vrm fiasco for instance)

The only strongarming amd has done in the recent past was the 4.0pcie thing, but that was done via microcode alone, and wasnt blocked until after it was apparent that it was causing problems.

It you want proof that current amd is too lax, you can buy a320 boards that support the 3950x, despite the obvious problems with putting a 16core on such a board, and it being officially unsupported

4. oxidized

oxidized Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6G
    They could've told the mobo makers to build their boards around the fact they promised a long support, and mobo makers would've acted consequently, besides this whole ROM size sounds like BS, so what adding a dozen of extra CPUs support which comes with the microcode is going to be too much? Cmon it's not like they use 15 out of 16MB of that ROM

That's another thing tho, it's the other way around, they wouldn't want to force incompatibility for that, unless they were sure it would cause nasty problems, so they didn't, so we might actually see several older mobos supporting series 4000, it'll be unlikely mobo makers will do that out of generosity, unless as i said they're ordered to.

5. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    There are plenty of X470 boards with ROM sizes equal to X570 boards.

6. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I dunno its pretty sketchy putting a 3950x in a board with a 3 phase vrm, ive looked at the biostar manual for one of them , it supports custom pstates, so it might even support overclocking to an extent . both of which are very very unofficial and potentially hazardous, nothing would prevent amd from blocking a specific chipset revision from booting an unsafe tdp. I remain skeptical that amd will purposely block any oems from doing it . they just wont help them with it, as in the past with am2-am3+ chipsets and to an extent x370/b350/a320

7. oxidized

oxidized Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6G
    Yeah i agree with that, but maybe it was sure enough, maybe not to overlock, but the CPU could run fine without it, no idea, still it's the opposite thing here.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    b550 and x570 are the only boards that amd can qualify as being within spec for the behaviors of the cpu, data and power wise.

subvendors embedding amd chipsets can of course test the behaviors and implement support where the grade is met.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  9. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    What the hell is this thread? @jwb1 's circlejerk to force his opinions on other users? :D

So much for discussion and calling out other people opinions. Very mature of you.

anticupidon, Undying, Mesab67 and 2 others like this.
  10. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I can see why they are doing this. MSI's BIOS update to support the 3xxx series completely changed the UEFI interface and wiped all my settings. It's more cumbersome to use now.

11. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Let's see witch mb vendors will do the best support on 4xx and 3xx boards , the winner will be my next mboard brand , although i am on b450 with a 1600 ....and for the things i do i do not need something faster might as well wait 2 -3 years and get a dirt cheap used 3700 or 3800 on it !
    If i get 4xxx support i will drop in.most likely a 4600.

Also i do not like at all that they also try to sell more chipsets this way ... Especially the 16mb rom chips fiasco to save 5 cents at best was such a cheapscate move from some ventors. Now what's the point of keeping the am4 socket so long ...well one reason i can think comes from personal experience in 2012 i brought my 3770k with z77 gb board the board broke in 2015 no z77 boards new available or for my socket as a.matter of fact i had to dive in the used market and get for new price a used z77 mb , in 2017 the mb broke again and i had 2 options to dive in the used market again and pay an unreasonable amount for another used mb .....instead i sold my 3770k and my 16gb ddr 3 ram and got my self the 1600 the b450 board and 16gb ddr4 ram the total thing costed me 50 euros extra! With am4 still around ab b550 boards supporting every ryzen in existence i know no matter what if my mb breaks now i will run at the closest computer store buy a board and i will be up and running in less than 1 hour again till 2022 for sure ! That after my last experience has immense value to me.

sverek likes this.
  12. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    If it works on 570X it also works on 470X, the issue is whether mobo suppliers decide to give out bios updates to the 4xx series or not.

13. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    *nevermind

14. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Well, it doesn't matter to me as I have an X570 mobo, so IF Zen3 proves to have much improved single/multi core performance over Zen2, I'd probably spring for an equivalent or more core count Zen3 CPU upgrade. My present CPU would prolly go to a new build on an mATX platform.

15. apoklyps3

apoklyps3 Guest

GPU:
    STRIX-GTX1070-8G-GA
    on the other hand B320 shouldn't support Ryzen 3000 series, but many do.
    so I guess it's up to mobo makers to implement 4000 series support or not.

intel fanboys should mind their stockholm syndrome. don't know if it's treatable :D

16. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    AMD doesn't want to lie, so they pick safest approach and just cut other chipsets from presentation slides. What actually will be supported and how will be known with time.

Right now is just speculations and pointing fingers at slides that were created by marketing team.

17. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    I didn't even have a spec of hope that i could keep my current mobo,they barely stuffed support for the 3000 series in the bios,not even DOS UI will make room for it.

Curious about the MAX edition boards from MSI if they'll support it. Would suck for those who bought them if not.

18. apoklyps3

apoklyps3 Guest

GPU:
    STRIX-GTX1070-8G-GA
    how intel fanboys feel when they pay 500+ more $ for 10 extra fps in random junk like fortinte :D

[​IMG]

Undying likes this.
  19. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    There's really no need for comments like this...

Silva likes this.
  20. apoklyps3

apoklyps3 Guest

GPU:
    STRIX-GTX1070-8G-GA
    why not?
    it's funny and also true