AMD Confirms Ryzen 4000 ‘Zen 3’ Desktop CPU Compatibility With X570 & B550 Motherboards – No Plans T

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by jwb1, May 7, 2020.

1. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    They will probably release Zen 3 support for B450 and X470. Just like happened with previous gen. It won't be "guaranteed". Some motherboards will support it some not.

But for AMD this is could also be a win, because more people would upgrade their CPU from Zen /Zen+/Zen2 to Zen 3.

A lot of people upgrade if they just need to change 1 piece quick, without needing to buy a new motherboard, removing the old one and installing the new one.
    And the more the mods you have, the more painful this process is.

I personally don't mind changing the CPU. But to change the motherboard it's a pain in the ass. Last time I upgraded the B85M to the B450 I

That being said, anyone who has a Zen 2 and wants to upgrade to Zen 3, it's just for to have the last gen. There is no way a Zen+ or Zen 2 will become obsolete soon.
    You can even upgrade from Zen 2 to Zen 2 and have a huge difference. I have a 3700X I could jump to a 3950X in the future.

Another tip: Don't buy Zen 3 in the first 2-3 months. The process matures quickly and the binning gets better after a few months. This will also give you some time to check if your AIB released a bios for Zen 3 support in an old chipset.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  2. oxidized

oxidized Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6G
    Supporting the socket without supporting the Chipset works how exactly?

3. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    ^that is a question for the other company. The socket is remaining the same for Zen3. The big hullaballoo is about chipset support. So stick with the task at hand in my post without introducing a topic that has nothing to do with it.

4. Perjantai

Perjantai Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080
    Too bad but AMD probably have good reason for it since they would have sold much more 4000 processors with 400-100 chipset support. It would have been great for all if they managed to squeeze one more processor series to the bios before the DDR5 upgrade that requires new mobo anyway. I hope AMD keep this multiple gen chip support with AM5 socket also.

5. oxidized

oxidized Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6G
    I mean whether i buy a new motherboard because of its Chipset or socket, in the end i'm still forced to buy a new motherboard, so where's this support they were touting about?

6. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Here's how I see it. I don't mind changing the motherboard when I buy a new cpu, in fact I prefer it. Normally, I'll use a cpu for around 4 years. That's when I usually do a full PC rebuild and replace parts that usually outlast the cpu and everything else.

Next time around I'll probably be getting a new PSU as the current one is about 6-7 years old. It still works great but precautions. I'll also be changing the case.

Replacing the motherboard once every 4 years is a pro. I'd much rather have a new chipset and all the modern features than stick it all back into the old motherboard.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    Exige245 likes this.
  7. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Urgh, i was hoping for an upgrade on my x470.
    I keep finger crossed for some custom bios or similar.
    If it does not come out, it means i can either not upgrade or i m free to choose where to upgrade again.

8. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    It is all in the socket. They never once mentioned supporting pervious chipsets throughout the socket's lifespan. Zen+ did not force anyone to purchase a new mainboard. Zen2 also did not force anyone to purchase a new mainboard. There is the support. The fact the socket is remaining the same and previous chipsets introduced with Zen+ and prior not being supported...what a shock (sarcasm). Seriously, nothing new peripheral wise is being introduced with Zen3. It is all about the bios chip choosen and used by the mainboard manufacturers that is ultimately at hand. So intel is easy...new cpu, new mainboard. AMD at this point in time, appears one needs to enquire about the amount of storage the bios chip has and if that will suffice for future offerings. Socket compatibility was rendered moot.

Exige245 likes this.
  9. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
    ??? wtf.

patteSatan likes this.
  10. Imglidinhere

Imglidinhere Guest

GPU:
    12GB RX 6700XT
    I, for one, am not surprised in the slightest about this news. There were A320 boards that could be flashed to run the 3950X, even though that is a recipe for disaster, but it could be done. Besides, I fail to see how this has any kind of indication on how 'far-gone AMD is now' or how 'they're just like Intel' given that they've actually made meaningful improvements generation over generation.

Zen to Zen+ was about a 10% improvement, due to latency reduction, across the board. Chipsets needed to be flashed, but still compatible.

Zen+ to Zen 2 was a +10-12% IPC improvement, plus latency reduction and better memory support, across the board. Chipset, again, needed a flash and some previous generation processors would not be supported to make room, but compatible.

And now it's been early reported that Zen 2 to Zen 3 marks another ~15% improvement in IPC alone, not counting for any additional optimizations.

So we're not talking about going from Skylake to Kaby Lake here with literally zero improvement, requiring a new mobo, but the same socket, for a pre-overclocked CPU from the previous generation. No, this is a serious improvement in just three years. It's a multiplicative increase because it's not comparing Zen to Zen 2 and Zen vs Zen 3, it's pitting the current generation against the new one.

olymind1 and patteSatan like this.

11. oxidized

oxidized Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6G

Again, the fact it's the same socket but different chipset won't keep me from needing to buy another motherboard this time, in the end it all comes to that.

12. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
    MSI pretty much set the precedent for UEFI capacity being an issue with their first boards only having 16MB. Features had to be removed to fit additional microcode for new CPUS. Then they released newer boards with 32MB. X570 boards dropped support for 1st Gen CPUs, which allows for them to have more space for a future final release. You don't have to be a fanboy to acknowledge this as possibly not being a dick move. Though the alternative exists I suppose to just have a final UEFI completely remove 1st gen support from older boards, but you know some number of people will blindly upgrade without reading the fine print. Especially as some UEFI let you do an internet upgrade from within the UEFI with little details provided.

13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Came here for the news, found a Intel ego- flexing guy trolling hard.
    Guess I went back in time on Tom's forums in the Athlon64 Vs Pentium 4 debates.
    Better bring some popcorn next time.
    We all know that the best approach is to ignore and don't feed the troll kids.
    Will just completely bored out of its mind if everyone is ignore him and his wise-ass replies and will just go away.
    The sheer audacity to challenge the Boss himself!
    That guy won a ignore for a life time from me after he posted some stuff on Guru3D contests threads. Never ever saw such impertinence.
    Guess we have to move along and ignore him to oblivion.
    We all have better things to do with our time.
    And for sure, mods and Hilbert's efforts to keep this running - we will never know what they are dealing with.

carnivore and Truder like this.
  14. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    No one is arguing that point. Assumptions were made by the consumer and some Youtubers that AMD did nothing to set the record straight. That is on them. Going strictly by what was printed and said, all that was ever going to remain the same was the socket. Now that they have come out and publicly stated that the socket is remaining the same but no official support for prior X5xx series chipsets is a nothing event. No surprises here. So like I said stick with what I originally asked. Introducing this little but...but...but...I am forced to purchase a new mainboard has nothing to do it and will not be entertained by me anymore.

15. oxidized

oxidized Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6G
    So well what's the point in stating that AM4 will be supported until 2021 if i'm forced to buy a motherboard anyway at some point?

16. phatbx133

phatbx133 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1050ti 4GB
    I blame to some motherboard maker put a stupid tiny 16mb ROM in first place. Why not increase to 48mb or 64mb ROM to allow all old Zen 1 to 4 with same board no problem.

This is 2020; please 16mb ROM is dead!

I have MSI x470; this is last buy from them.

17. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    yayyy i just moved to back to amd with a x570 last month

18. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    In hindsight now, people who bought AMD in 2017 really should have just got an 8700k, and wait for Zen 3 or Z490..... or like some have said wait for Zen 4 or Rocket Lake.

I know there are AMD people that upgrade from Zen 1 to Zen 2. A lot of AMD users upgrade more because of the flexibility of AM4, so actually in the long run they don't save that much and if they had just stuck with say an 8700k for longer, would have been the better move, IMHO.

19. Ricardo

Ricardo Member Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti 4GB
    @Clouseau has a fair point here: when/where did AMD ever stated that all mobos would be forward compatible with future CPUs? I always found this rumor of Zen 3 on pre-500 boards strange, since I've never seen anything being said or confirmed about that in any publication - only speculation.

I feel like people are overreacting over this confirmation - we knew ever since before Zen 2 that chipsets from different versions wouldn't necessarily be able to handle future (or even past) CPUs, hence many boards not being able to run Zen 1 and AMD stating 300 series wouldn't handle Zen 2 even though many do.

So, again, what's the surprise here? Wishful thinking was debunked, and that's pretty much it.

20. Exige245

Exige245 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT
    The point is that AMD doesn't manufacture the motherboards and hasn't changed the motherboard socket required, so take your rage and point it towards MSI, ASUS, ASRock, Gigabyte, Biostar, etc...you know, the motherboard manufacturers who cheaped out on 16MB ROM chips that are out of capacity to now support 4 generations of AMD CPUs simultaneously.