HDMI audio issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Öhr, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    I have issues with my audio when using my TV (LG 65C7) via HDMI (direct connection): The audio drops out intermittenly.

The issue is worse when the computer was running for a while and less often when it has been freshly booted.

I tried multiple hdmi cables, even very short ones but the issue occurred with every single one. I am currently using a 5m unidirectional optical fiber hdmi cable (fully HDMI 2.1 compliant), tho the audio portion is still going over copper wires as far as I know.

Overall the issue seems like a buffer issue and something like that. Frequency or bit depth doesnt seem to affect the issue. The issue seems to become worse when there is a graphical load.

Does anyone else have this weird hdmi issue? Is there a solution aside from avoiding audio over hdmi altogether?

2. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
  3. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    Its already all set to pcm and i am not using arc

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  4. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X

5. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    Already disabled enhancements and the format (bitrate/frequency) doesn't seem to make a difference either. It happens on 16bit @ 48kHz as well unfortunately.

What I forgot to mention is, that its stereo, so just two audio channels total

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  6. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    What is the default Sound card you are using?

7. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    The one that came with my mainboard: Realtek ALC1220

8. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    and your CPU + RAM + GPU specification?

might be something with drivers.....or OS configs.....

try reinstalling directx......manually....

and check your cpu usage if it hits above 50% under idle after startup ()
    -----------------------------
    I have an MSI Z390 Egde Ac motherboard with the ALC 1220...

I do not use the driver provided by MSI....webpage support...

Instead,

https://realtek-download.com/download-hd/

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  9. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    The issue persists with and without cpu/gpu load.
    My profile is up to date and essentially a well specced machine:
    5700 XT
    R7 2700X
    2x 16GB DDR4-3200 CL14

No audio issues when using the onboard audio (Realtek), only when using HDMI audio, I get these issues.
    As far as I know, DirectX has nothing to do HDMI audio, but I ran the web installer anyway. It told me I was already runing the latest version and didnt install anything. Windows update is also satisfied (Windows 1909).

About Realtek:
    Its irrelevant: Your onboard soundcard does notprovide the sound for your HDMI cable: Your graphics card does that (yes, its also soundcard, notably without a DAC). Essentially, I could uninstall realtek drivers or theoretically remove the chip from the mainboard and I would still get audio over HDMI.
    One more thing about Realtek: Realtek stopped providing driver updates through its website and the most recent update that came along that way is the R2.82. This has been abandoned and is also an ancient driver, likely not even supporting the more recent mainboards/realtek chips. Realtek now uses Windows Update to deploy driver updates. You can get them manually through Microsofts Update Catalog or through windows update: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Realtek Semiconductor Corp MEDIA 2020

10. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    I just get the ones that are on the motherboards website so I know it's made for it, Instead of going directly to realtek maybe no difference most of the time but hey wouldn't suprise me sometimes.

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    When using HDMI for audio, your soundcard is not used at all.
    The soundcard is your monitor or whatever is connected on the end of the HDMI lead.

elaganza likes this.
  12. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    As i have said...

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Cool, it seemed there might be some confusion.

14. elaganza

elaganza Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 380
    you want to say you ve got rig connected via hdmi to TV for music hearing only? And where did you connect hdmi to? In videocard hdmi output or rig onboard hdmi? As said Mufflore sound(and video) comes via Videocard output. looks like you make something wrong or try to run realtek output instead of AMD output.(by the way try to disable realtek soundcard in bios.Earlier AMD hdmi based on Realtek drivers. keep in mind too)

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  15. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    Be aware that distance is a problem also. So if its to long you will need a good cable kust from experience. I have issues with my long cable also. Had to get a proper one.

16. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    Its connected to my graphicscard hdmi port and the other end to TV directly. No receiver used or ARC (audio return channel). The tv outputs via optical to my amplifier via optical, tho the issue also occurs when using its internal speakers. Only ancient graphicscards relied partially on the mainboard audio for hdmi output. This hasnt been the case for a decade or so. The realtek card is irrelevant. I use the setup for couch gaming.

Ive tried multiple cables, including short ones. Currently its a very expensive 80€ 5m unidirectional optical HDMI cable. It really cant get any better than that.

17. elaganza

elaganza Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 380
    i just can't understand. what soundcard you are using for output? do you select realtek output in windows sound panel or AMD HDMI Audio output?

Mufflore and Caesar like this.
  18. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    I select HDMI output. It's called LG HDMI or something like that as it is hooked up to my LG TV. The onboard realtek soundcard of my motherboard is irrelevant to the hdmi audio issues, aside from that realtek output not experiencing any of the issues I have when using the hdmi output (as in its not a sound issues that applies to all audio devices)

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    What's hard to understand? The OP states, quite clearly, that he's using HDMI audio. The only thing he can possibly be using is the audio codec built onto his graphics card. That's literally the only component in his system that can pass audio through HDMI.....

20. elaganza

elaganza Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 380
    hdmi audio from PC to TV and TV via optical to amplifier? it's a long road)))) i just want to understand WHAT output on rig is being used. u can put cable to onboard mb plug either to AMD HDMI Video Card plug and then try get sound from realtek audio codec from rig connected via AMD plug physically and get a lot of issues. What's hard to understand? ))