Scanline sync

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by CalinTM, Sep 18, 2018.

1. XenonS

XenonS Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1660 6GB
    So here is an update of what I did in the meantime: Following your suggestion I get a displayed FPS in the game of 225 average (MSI-A display during game and statistic graph after quitting game). I would like to have 30 average with Vsynch technically ON (also if disabled in the game). Maybe this is not possible because I don't understand well the technology, but if your recommendation is right I should see 30 in the MSI statistics for FPS with a 60Hz monitor, or not?

My exact settings are:
    LCD Monitor plugged to gaming laptop with HDMI, Nvidia Panel says at native resolution 1920x1080 @ 60Hz (seems to be max. Hz, I cannot set any higher Hz resolution).
    In-game Resolution: 1920x1080 @60Hz
    In-game: Vsynch=OFF
    RivaTuner Framerate Limit=0
    RivaTuner Scanline sync x/2=0

What's wrong?

Thanks,
    XS

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    @XenonS
    Use -50 for scanline sync. If there's tearing, try -80, -100, etc. This will control the tear line.

0 disables scanline sync.

3. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    For whatever reason, it works much better with DXVK than with native D3D11 in Witcher 3 and HotS. I can't get it to be stable with D3D11 without FastSync, but that increases lag. With DXVK (and prerender limit 1 set up in its config), it remains completely stable until frame time > refresh rate (but then instantly syncs perfectly again for the next frame times < refresh rate).

4. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    Does this work for openGL?
    I trying to set this up, but nothing works;

Game secenario:
    QLQuake with reshade rtgi
    5120x2880@ 60hz (mst, multi stream, essentialy two screens)
    Framerate is 45 fps, 99% GPU load. with vsync on, it plummets to 30, with off I get tearing.

I have set a fps cap globally at 59.9 and tried -10, -20, or 2900 etc, but I keep getting tearllines.
    Whill read this topic again to get it, butI am lost here...Doesn't it work when framerate is below refreshrate?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022

5. vlad[54rus]

vlad[54rus] Member

GPU:
    GTX 660 2Gb
    It doesn't, you need framerate higher than your refresh rate to get controllable tearline (or switch to Scanline Sync 2/x where you'll get half of your refresh rate - 30 fps).

Skinner likes this.
  6. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    ^ Thanks, gonna check this out.

7. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    Yep working now :)