EVGA RTX 2070 Super Stuttering Issues when using Optimal Power Mode

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by mr1hm, Apr 12, 2020.

1. loracle

loracle Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    Overvolt + overheat = degradation, the severity of which depend on how much and how long. If you keep it cool enough, most processors will readily handle increased voltage.
    However, provided he keeps his system cool and doesn't exceed common known maximum voltages for the cpu cores for 24/7 usage, he'll be okay with it for quite a while. Often it's the motherboard going up in smoke at the VRM area before killing the cpu.
    An intel i7 is not generally recommended at this time, for any budget-conscious buyer. If it's a more-money-than-sense built, then feel free to get an i9 9900k/kf/ks. It's very close to a new generation release for intel so best wait if upgrading the processor soon.

But why, doing that, the gain don't worth it, and why seaching troubles, and always testing if its stable or not, it's stupid, just buy a good I7 maybe not the last génération, but its a way the best choice, for me i would buy the next I5 génération if it has Hyper Threading, and for sure the K one like 10 600K to be sure to have the best performance and a cpu that will last for a longer time, and i'm also pretty sure it will handle all the games for maybe the next 10 years. (in case we still here gg), take care.

2. TiePhiter

TiePhiter Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 LC
    Nobody is running anything differently than you are.

Nobody is also running games "fine" without using "Prefer Maximum Performance". If they say they are, they're lying or it's an old game. Period.

They also could possibly be incapable of actually noticing any differences, which is the most common case.

IMO, your mistake here is taking advice from others who haven't proven themselves knowledgeable to you. The majority of people on this forum, and most other forums, actually don't know what they are talking about at all. I'd say, legitimately, the top 2-3% do on any given forum. Sans OCN, out of every forum, they definitely have the most power users who know their stuff. Still low in percentage though.

Trust me, spend the time to figure out who you can listen to and who you cannot. You'll thank yourself for spending the time doing so later on.

3. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Generally speaking, older games benefit the most from using Prefer Max Performance to eliminate stuttering or odd performance issues. Apparently you believe you're in the top 1% given you believe you are qualified to judge the top 2 or 3%.
    When did you prove yourself to be among the elite 1%? I don' t see it. I mean, Dunning-Kruger seems more apt.
    [​IMG]

EVGA is the top AIB for Nvidia. Your posts are shitty and pretty much illiterate.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

5. mr1hm

mr1hm Active Member

GPU:
    2070 Super XC Ultra
    Thank you for all the replies guys. I actually ended up returning the old one since I started suspecting a modded BIOS (I did pick up the GPU open box after all). I tested so many different ways and the built-in GPU Boost would never kick in, core clock always stayed solid @ 1605.

With that being said, I returned the card and swapped it for another open box EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra for an extra $30. Fired up Metro Exodus and core clocks kicked up to a maximum of 1950 and fluctuated when the power wasn't necessary. I did see the Power Consumption hit 101% though... that was a little interesting, but I'll have to keep using it and see what happens.

Power Management Mode was set to "Optimal" and I haven't noticed any hiccups yet. I'll have to keep using throughout the day tomorrow though to make sure it's alright.

Noisiv and Cave Waverider like this.
  6. loracle

loracle Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    Happy for you, but don't forget to thanks girls also gg, take care.

mr1hm likes this.
  7. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    I am not implying he fits into that group but some persons have a skill for that sort of thing: youtube.com/watch?v=mBTozfQawKQ&feature=youtu.be&t=1648
    I recall some of their high range Pascal cards had a few genuinely bad custom PCB and/or cooler designs (they even had to hand out extra thermal pads or something like that). May be that news got stuck in his memories.
    But I personally never find EVGA products attractive from a perf/price viewpoint. They are either averagely good or excellent but very very pricey.

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Good thinking dog. There is a reason why Default settings are default :)

mr1hm likes this.
  9. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    EVGA's pricing is similar. Where they shine generally, is in their warranty service. As with every other AIB, they've had bad models. Note, I did not say they were the best. I said they were their top AIB. Opinions are opinions.

10. mr1hm

mr1hm Active Member

GPU:
    2070 Super XC Ultra
    I have one final question here. Is core clock fluctuating often a normal thing with Turing chips (RTX 20 series)? I remember with my GTX 970 that this never occurred when I set Power Management Mode to Prefer Maximum Performance. When I'm playing less demanding games such as Overwatch, it tends to fluctuate wildly, especially when there are full team fights, and sometimes can not maintain a constant 144fps @ 1080p.

I just want to make sure that it's the new GPU Boost doing its thing and not caused by something else.

EDIT: I had Power Limit and Temp Limit increased to max (Power Limit: 111% - Temp Limit: 88C) in MSI Afterburner just to see if the clocks would boost any higher while I was playing Overwatch

11. Erick

Erick Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB
    Yeah, I had to disassemble my GTX 1060 and redo the thermal paste. It looked like they used too much, so it spread at the edges and dried out the middle, though there were no issues.

The other thing was that those 3rd and 4th Gen chipsets (Sandy Bridge in particular) had problems of their own. Through NVIDIA's testing, they discovered that the Generation 3 PCIe slots were not fully compliant with their Keplar GPU's, so they disabled GEN3 on the PCIe x16 slots in Windows 10 by default. The Keplar GPU's operated at GEN2 (even if its enabled in UEFI/BIOS). You had to use a patch, which is still available by NVIDIA, to enable the GEN3. Even with 32GB of RAM, playing Mortal Kombat 11 was a pure struggle. I would recommend to upgrade from those Sandy Bridge CPU/motherboards as PCIe 3.0 was in it's infancy during that time.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Just enough is too little, and too much is just enough.

you cannot use too much paste on a gpu.

13. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Microstuttering in games is often a symptom of being CPU limited — Digital Foundry has talked about this in their 2080 S review and so has liksphilip in one of his recent Teardown videos (and yes, you can be CPU limited despite windows reporting your CPU usage is beneath 100% -- this is because many games put the majority of the load on a main thread as I understand it and then other threads "help out" where they can. This is much better on Vulkan/DX12 titles usually, but more work is still disproportionately put onto 1 thread and we typically don't see notable gains at this time moving from something like 3700X to 3900X in games because there's just usually not much for those extra threads to do. This isn't true for all games though and perhaps multithreading will continue to get better once 16 thread next gen consoles come out. Still, many games are primarily CPU bound by single threaded performance even today).

I googled around for testing that was done with the various power modes and in the vast majority of cases Optimal power should deliver identical results to prefer Max performance going off the tests I saw online (I’m on mobile atm or I’d go dig them up and link them directly, sadly I don’t recall the site name, apologies). EDIT: https://www.thefpsreview.com/2019/12/04/nvidia-geforce-driver-power-mode-settings-compared/ -- though some very slight differences were measured, it's margin of error territory and gaming perf was virtually identical.

If in your case setting prefer Max perf resolves the issue than awesome, do it then on the per game profile. But if you test back to back and find you’re still experiencing the issue than it’s something else. The only way to resolve a CPU bottleneck is either increasing GPU load/capping FPS or upgrading the CPU.

From I recall, adaptive and optimal are identical except optimal won’t refresh the screen unless it’s needed. Still, my information could be out of date or I may be missing some info so hopefully others will correct me if I got anything wrong. Though not always perhaps, the default settings are often what they are for a reason (such as why Ultra low latency isn’t on by default for example though ofc that’s a separate setting).

If you are indeed CPU limited than I’d ask if your forcing any changes to the default render queue — CPU prerendering actually helps the CPU keep the GPU fed with stuff to do if it gets a little behind (or, at least that’s what it’s supposed to do from what I’ve read — see CaptaPraelium’s Future Frame Rendering explanation on the BFV subreddit).

Some games "become" super stuttery and only really seem to correctly on a specific older driver -- so, occasionally a windows update or driver update does seem to "bork" certain titles in my experience (Prey 2017 for example -- Digital Foundry experienced the same driver related issue in one of their videos).

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  14. felicityc

felicityc Member

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW3
    The thing is with setting global max performance is that there are several predefined profiles within the NVCP that keeps you from actually achieving global max performance settings.

Things like explorer.exe and dwm.exe stay at adaptive. They are set to adaptive to begin with, and as separate profiles, do not get changed. You can change them manually, but changing dwm.exe to max perf means your GPU will just run at higher clocks nonstop. I found the fan speed annoying.

Many games utilize both of these- in particular dwm.exe. If you run not on fullscreen, explorer then also has to be rendered.

Imo default settings are not there because they are the best settings. They are there because they are the best settings for the uninformed. There is absolutely no way max perf is anywhere similar to optimal power. The very first step in every single performance guide regarding nvidia cards, games, and programs, is to set it to max performance. It just doesn't perform to peak otherwise, because it will lock itself back.

Note SSD, RAM, and CPU improper overclocking (not just bottleneck, that can even be overcome via correct OC)- GPU as well- background processes, etc- can all contribute to microstuttering. There is no 'this is the problem' to pin down. I would need to sit down at their PC and spend a few hours figuring out where the good stuff is. To think it is 'just' the GPU or 'just' one mode is focusing on an incorrect assumption that the graphics card is the only thing contributing to graphics problems.

This thread was necro'd anyway so idk.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    what, huh, thats news to me.

how the hell can optimal even work if explorer overrides it with adaptive....

16. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I don't have explorer as a profile by default.
    I do see startmenuexperiencehost and MS shell experience host, that one is adaptive.

I generally just set global to adaptive and then any gave I think needs performance mode.

17. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    @Astyanax From what I recall, Optimal and Adaptive should be identical except for that Optimal won't redraw the screen if nothing needs to be updated.

*looked it up: "However, Optimal Power adds another feature — it’ll stop the GPU rendering a new frame if nothing has changed on screen and instead reuse what’s already in the framebuffer."

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2018/...perseded the previous,them when demand is low.

I posted a link further up in another comment to some tests, but "usually" Optimal VS Prefer max perf shouldn't result in any difference.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its listed as Windows Explorer and might be a hidden profile in the NVCP

19. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    You are right, it is hidden in NVCP but in NVinspector it is there and set to adaptive.