Nvidia High Definition Audio 27.21.14.5509 with Dolby Home Theatre V4 enabled

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by WhiteLightning, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    maybe its working for you anyway XD

can you post the original?

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Aha, got it!

I didn't see your edit about the dotnet_appx till just now, installed that then removed the driver (without delete driver files set) then redetected hardware.
    now have the Dolby Digital selection and working graph.

@PhazDelta you will get that error if you try to set a multichannel speaker mode while the format is DD or in reverse, setting DD while in a multichannel speaker config.

3. PhazDelta

PhazDelta Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6900XT Strix LC
    what is multichannel speaker mode ?

edit : i have 2 channel mode because i have connected my headphone to green jack in my monitor

[​IMG]

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    @Astyanax Ok i redid the mod. Somehow i could not find the driver i used before. Windows update is useless, they only list very old drivers.

first the original: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lCDDvKEFTWL8KwsgGYLUzBbdy49dmlgd/view?usp=sharing

and here the modded with dolby: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fK4zYfTQbFBPd32riwTmW_HZaEpumqMf/view?usp=sharing

I also have uploaded the current drivers (from driver pack) modded by someone else. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1697kSH0zCA9Xm1-OMftwtOjAG4RVGIA_/view?usp=sharing

Would be nice if one would work for you guys!

vanhosting and tiliarou like this.

5. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    ahh, so i guess that is mandatory for the driver install then. I will add that to the first post.

6. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Ok ive changed instructions in the first post a bit. with the new/old 455.09 drivers. hope this works for people.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    new one is also 1.3.38.28, though has the display driver style versioning in the inf.

How odd!

;) Something tells me Ampere will carry 455 versioning

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    WhiteLightning likes this.
  8. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Why is this useful though (in all seriousness)? If you use this you're lossy compressing the output as opposed to native 24 bit 48/96Khz, and you can install any number of free EQs if that's what you need.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it doesn't alter content that is already multichannel

10. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    The point is having a choice, you might not be for that, but i am.

Dolby digital has better sound quality then 24bit 48/96hz , the only thing that has better quality is DTS , but that is almost non existant on PC. (unless viewing movies).
    So for games this really is awesome!
    Sure you can use any other equalizer or other audio enhancer , they all have different results. you wont be able to reproduce the same sound.
    I have tried Hesuvi, and the real deal sounds much better then their presets in the program or their forum. Try Dolby Atmos (free trial in microsoft store) against their interpretation of Dolby Atmos for instane. (easiest test without installing any drivers).
    If the sound is crossmixed to multi channel also while it is alreacy multichannel it will mess it up totally. like Astynax has mentioned above.

tiliarou likes this.

11. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    What's the point of encoding lossless PCM into lossy DolbyDigital for HDMI transport? HDMI 1.3 can carry uncompressed 8-channel LPCM 24bit 192kHz audio. Do you intend to pass it through from the TV to an AVR or soundbar via optical SPDIF? If you use the internal TV speakers then it's entirely irrelevant though (you get neither >2 channels, nor decent quality anyways).

12. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Sorry, WHAT ???
    How could the lossy DD have better quality than the lossless PCM it was compressed from?
    By the way, DTS Connect exists, although rarely supported. It has higher bitrate compared to DD but PCM is the original uncompressed format, so PCM is superior to both of these lossy compressed formats.

13. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Well whatever, I didnt post this driver to convince everyone. It is up to you to see if you like it or not. For me, i have much better sound in games then the default settings.

14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Yeah choice is good.

What's your audio setup?

15. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    The nvidia HDMI is hooked up to my Tv.

I do have spdif hooked up to my onkyo but that doesnt matter for this driver.

16. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    I meant an optical cable between the TV and the AVR. TVs can often pass through DD/DTS from HDMI to SPDIF. In that case, DD/DTS can offer you 6-channel through compression compared to 2-channel PCM.
    That's the whole point of these real-time DD/DTS encoders. It was used before HDMI 1.3 to open up >2 channel audio over SPDIF because PCM multi-channel wouldn't fit into the SPDIF bandwidth.
    The DD/DTS is compressed from PCM like FLAC vs. MP3. Do you seriously claim MP3 sounds better than the FLAC it was converted from? How could the compressed format sound better than the original it was made form? Just how...?
    Besides, you will never hear the difference through internal speakers (between compressed and uncompressed, be that DD vs. PCM or FLAC vs. MP3). that would require >$10k setup (high-end AVR and speakers in special listening environment).
    My guess is your TV applies different processing to DD and PCM.

17. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    No this is incorrect. Janos kind of covered it but just to be clear -- DD is 16-bit 48Khz lossy compression. It has worse sound quality than 24-bit 48/96Khz PCM and even worse sound quality than lossy compression of 24-bit 48/96Khz sources.

One of DD's main advantages was transporting 5.1 channel sound over SPDIF by lossy compression. Without this, SPDIF only has the bandwidth to transport 2 channels uncompressed. HDMI can can transport 8 channels uncompressed at 24-bit 96Khz, this is one of the key reasons HDMI was developed. There's no need to use DD over HDMI -- you're literally going backwards and throwing away sound data that you don't have to.

Even when you're using 16-bit 48Khz sources -- which most games are, you're still generating worse sound by lossy compressing it instead of transporting it uncompressed over HDMI. Let alone playing movies or music files that are 24-bit 48/96Khz, where you are throwing away even more information.

If it 'sounds' better, it's not the DD encoding -- it's the other filters you're applying, like the EQ or any 'enhancements'. But if you do these enhancements through another program (and there are many out there) you can apply these on the uncompressed PCM source and it will sound even better than these same enhancements on a compressed source like you have now.

I think people see 'Dolby' and go 'Awesome! This will improve my sound!'. No, it won't. DD was a trade-off for channels vs quality. Now Dolby Atmos etc, these are a different kettle of fish (I've purchased the Dolby Atmos plugin for my system) but the DD encoder in these drivers is taking a step backwards for your sound quality over just using raw PCM output over HDMI.

tiliarou likes this.
  18. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Guys im confused now. I thought DD enhances the audio , because it creates Multichannel sound , while otherwise on the 48hz setting it will just be pcm stereo. (unless the game has surround sound).
    @Martigen I have tried both settings, and there is no directional surround sound with PCM.

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it does improve sound in some cases, since it seems to do a good job of sampling DPLII audio in emulated games, as well as upmixing 2ch content in a way that usually doesn't work on pcm receivers.

but its an approximation of surround, does a fairly good job at it and the audiophile who can discern an actual difference between lossy DD and pcm is mentally ill.

20. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    DD does not create anything. It compresses what it gets.
    Indeed, it opens up 6-channel from 2-channel, however, for that you need multi-channel PCM from the game / Window audio mixer (easy) and multiple speakers. In that case (>2 physical speakers), yes, do use DD if multi-channel PCM is not available (that needs HDMI 1.3+). Otherwise, use 2-channel PCM for 2 speakers and multi-channel PCM for HDMI 1.3+ (with the exception when you pass the audio through the TV between a PC with HDMI and an AVR with SPDIF only --- but only for >2 speakers).
    I am not sure if Dolby has any technology for emulating extra physical speakers. There are such technologies (virtual surround, 360° spatial effects from a stereo speaker set) but it's a tricky thingy (you need nice, correctly positioned floor standing speakers with good room acoustics to work properly).