NVIDIA CEO Hands Out Raises, No Job Cuts surrounding COVID-19

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Maddness, sykozis and Lilith like this.
  2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Guess you can't hide the wholesomeness of leather jacket man.
    Not sure if it was "leaked" or shared by 1 of the 13,775 employees, but good to see big company putting priority on workforce and not shareholders.
    Hope to see Novidia carry out the promise till the pandemic is over and afterwards.

tunejunky likes this.
  3. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Well that's good.

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    They raise salaries to keep their employers happy just so they can earn even more money and find cure for COVID-19 faster. Very sneaky from Nvidia. :eek:

5. gstanford

gstanford Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080Ti
    Little wonder nvidia can afford to not lay anyone off and give them raises instead!

Inflated Pascal and Turing graphics card prices paid for this, not Jensen's generosity!

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Surely it's both?

In this day and age of furloghed staff and begging for government handouts its strange to see a company do this.

AsiJu likes this.
  7. The1

The1 Member Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080
    Well Done Nvidia!!! :)
    ...and if layoffs were announced then there would be no end of the pissing and moaning about Nvidia making all of that money with inflated gpu prices!!
    "Why aren't they giving some back to their employee's?" :(
    Sigh...just no pleasing people...:confused::confused:

8. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    this may (and does) sound weird, but the more shelter-in-place bored people there are, the more likely they're going to game. and when not gaming those sparkly Nvidia gpus do nicely in folding-at-home fighting covid-19.
    and the more people are on their rigs, the more likely it is for someone to wish to upgrade.
    all around a smart and sound policy, especially re: morale when the avg. turnover in silicon valley is 18 mos. this is the best retention strategy i've seen during this outbreak.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    True but at the same time, people are losing their jobs and can't afford to play games, let alone buy Nvidia, which tends to be more expensive.

Redemption80 likes this.
  10. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Great move for any company in the world to do.Nothing negative about this at all.

The1 and Maddness like this.

11. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    The prices weren't inflated if they didn't have any serious competition.

12. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    What do they need 13,775 employees for?

Surely... 1 person to design RTX, 1 marketing, leather jacket man, and a few admins (everything is made in other companies). ;)

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Honestly, I don't see how this is a bad move in anybody's opinion. It comes to the employees, if this is real than it's a good thing no matter where that money came from (which is another topic). They could just have laid off people too, you know.

14. DownwithEA

DownwithEA Active Member

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    Seriously give credit where it is due. I can't help but contrast this to last year Activision Blizzard making record revenue and laying off hundreds. I've got my own stink with Nvidia but I'll sure as hell applaud this.

The1 likes this.
  15. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    What? They are supposed spend billions buying their own shares to inflate their share prices, keep $0 in reserve for downturns, then lay off people and beg for billions in handouts from government the second things take a turn for the worse. Don't they understand our form of "capitalism"?

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I don't think they really even turn a profit on geforce parts.

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Sadly I dont see prices normalising with this drive.
    I mean fair play, they are doing good business.
    But I'm not paying 2080ti prices for a top card, this needs to be fixed.

18. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Novidia doing what they can get away with. You pay extra for top tier product. It's the same in any industry.

You pay way more for luxury car than your typical sedan, even though it doesn't provide as much comfort or performance as the price would suggest.
    You pay way more for top tier headphones, even though $2000 headphones doesn't sounds 20 times better than $100 ones.
    People who want top tier product will buy it, even if they have to pay premium for it.

Not like Novidia will lower price if they didn't pay their employees or cause they feel generous. Marketing is marketing, especially in our good'old capitalistic society.
    If you want to blame something, blame AMD for not delivering competitive GPU to take down Novidia top tier product.

I am all in to bash Novidia, but this is not the case.

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    My point is the price is too high.
    I dont mind paying top tier price if it is sensible.
    I bought the 1080ti at launch and was aghast at the price of the 2080ti with its lacklustre benefits, this is why I didnt buy one and havent recommended it.
    RTX performance is terrible, it barely holds up and will become much worse once next gen is released.
    DLSS has improved since but doesnt help older games and many new ones, and the price is still way too high.
    The price needs to drop.

ps I understand the need for very high pricing on very high end audiophile products, my headphones + cable cost £3200 (Empyrean with 3m silver cable). Amp was a self build close to £1K.
    But thats my end game, I wont be buying another set of headphones for at least 20 years.
    The same cant be said for gfx cards, normally 2 years max!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  20. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Except Pascal was not even the slightest bit out of the ordinary price-wise. Here is a list of nVIdia's top cards, their launch prices, all adjusted for inflation to keep things fair. And i know it doesn't include the RTX2xxx cards which were initially way out of line in terms of price, but were brought back to a much more reasonable price range with the RTX2080 Super sitting in at just over $700. A friend just got one for $715 in fact. IMO the Ti has replaced the Titan of old in the product lineup which is why it was just over a grand, and the RTX Titan is some other kind of card for workstations since they dont even advertise it for gaming anymore.

[​IMG]