AMD B550 motherboards with M2 PCIe 4.0 support would launch June 16th

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 18, 2020.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Besides PCI-E 4.0 there is no other reason to upgrade over any B450 motherboard, right?

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    see to many zen2 and b450 users having stability issues to recommend it.

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Great news!

Hopefully they arn't going to be as expensive as the X570 boards and don't feature a 40MM Fan.

4. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I suppose in the general sense that's true, though there are a handful of minor benefits.
    • Better VRMs. x570 boards are designed to handle 16-core chips and tend to sport stronger VRMs overall.
    • Newer components. On account of being newer overall many x570 boards offer upgraded audio and networking components.
    • More USB 3 gen2 connectivity.
    Could be other things I'm not thinking about at the moment.

For most users I doubt any of those things would be worth it given the cost premium of x570 boards though.

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Understood, but we're talking about incoming B550 boards, right?

6. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    The vrm point should apply to b550 boards, the pcbs should also be of better quality on avg , given the signalling requirements of pcie gen4. , not really worth the upgrade unless you have a real stinker of a board.

anticupidon likes this.
  7. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    PCI 4.0 stupid/milking because graphics cards can't use the bandwidth? there are alot more devices that can use the bandwidth like SSD's, NIC cards, thunderbolt cards, USB 3.2 etc the main reason for PCI 4.0 was for the lanes to be split further on the chipset for the IO and other m.2 devices on the motherboard on the X470 your m.2 drives that use the chipset would have defaulted to PCI 2.0 4x speeds, with the newer chipset it can atleast use PCI 3.0 4x speeds. Why do you think Intels CPU's are so expensive because they need more lanes and intel reserves them for their more expensive CPU's even if the person doesn't need a 28 core CPU they are forced to buy it because they need more PCI lanes.

8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Or if you are upgrading your older rig on a budget.

9. McFly121

McFly121 Member

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 4gb
    I have Gigabyte B450M DS3H with Ryzen 3000 support and PCI-ex 4.0 with F41 Bios and it works.So upgrade anytime soon NO.

10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Thought 4.0 support was patched out from the 400 series entirely due to problematic circuitry and requirements for the bandwidth and such over 3.0 but I could see some boards getting it right and not following AMD's guidelines or perhaps being OK to keep support in for later AGESA and bios or firmware updates that would otherwise disable and remove these settings.

Guess that will be answered once there's something putting a bit of demand on the 4.0 PCI Express bandwidth availability probably the new and upcoming M2 SSD units once the 5 - 6 GB/s "up to" speeds are reached for a maximum of 7.8 GB/s or something I think it was?
    (Hype and such from the PS5 and Next X Box other than hardware improvements on the disks themselves / sticks? / well I don't think 1 - 2 GB/s will be that limiting anytime soon.)

EDIT: Not that you immediately have to slam in the latest bios update, patch notes are often vague at best unless AMD provides a shiny new AGESA and some notes on whatever this bunch of code and firmware additions do and you get "Improved memory control." or "Bugfixes." that could mean little or nothing really.
    (The latest F12 bios update from Gigabyte for example on the X500's and yep ran from December to March and numerous betas - A to E - and there's that improved memory controller support or something to that but a lot of other hidden changes entirely unlisted or referenced briefly by some Gigabyte community representative.)

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, you are quite right. But storages will find it useful over time.
    AMD has nice dedicated lanes for M.2. Even if you buy PCIe 3.0 x8 M.2 multiplexer card for extra speed and storage, those boards capable to deliver PCIe 4.0 will have same bandwidth for GPU as 3.0 x16.

It is an advantage for some. And everyone should make conscious decision based on their situation. When initial problems with PCIe 4.0 been talked about, people denied that PCIe 5.0 may have even bigger problems.
    I did link video from Linus who hooked quite a few and long PCIe 3.0 x16 extensions before GPU run into problems. 4.0 edition of that video would have rather short cable span. And while I loved idea of PCIe 5.0 for external GPUs it does not look as happy as it did look years ago. (Laptops or Small form factor PCs with external GPU box.)

I think that only problem AMD really has, is that they allowed MB manufacturers with high quality boards to disable PCIe 4.0 functionality with Ryzen 3xxx CPUs.

12. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Yeah i`d like to know why being able to run 2 Corsair MP600 nvme drives at 5000mb/s is stupid.

13. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Given that pci-e 5 was supposed to be here last year https://www.extremetech.com/computi...ns-launch-pcie-5-0-2019-4x-bandwidth-pcie-3-0

I dont think my x570 is dead yet, just because the specs for 5 have been announced doesn't mean the manufacturers are going to jump all over it, i think were good for a while yet.

rl66 likes this.
  14. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    When i was on xeon i had only PCIe 3.0 X8 (because it is the standard on pro motherboard), now that i have a PCIe 4.0 X16 i am in theory faster... just in theory...
    Despite both maker work already on the 5.0, you may still be happy with 4.0 of course