But can it run Crysis Remastered? (incl trailer)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Roxim5

Roxim5 Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 NITRO+
    I am right there with you....

2. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    There already is a Crysis for the 360 and PS3, and the Switch should at least be better than that.

Still, the main reason the original Crysis still has performance issues to this date is because the engine stems from the times when CPU clock speeds were expected to just increase, and would have scaled perfectly to single core 10+ Ghz processors, but instead CPU tech went dual core and quad core and clock speeds remained at 3-4 Ghz.

3. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    The rumours of Crysis trilogy coming to the Switch has been going for a while, I'm actually more surprised it's a remaster that's on the table.

Also, I'm going to call it right here (due to a recent Nintendo survey probing for interest...) Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Red Dead Redemption 2 are also coming to the Switch.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  4. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Not to sure about this venture. I guess they will make plenty of coin at it, but CBA.
    But then, I do like the look of photogrammetric chickens and with some ray tracing on them it may be worth a look. :)
    Yankieshanky.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Easy 240p.

6. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    Switch was rated the worst console ever, first batch had soo many failures, the nvidia chip in it is actually very bad and hot (afaik they even released switch "2" under the exact same console?)

also, is it for PS4/XBOXO or PS4Pro and XBSeX ?

7. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    wish the game was good as it looked I for one think it really was nothing special game play wise
    cry2 was a little better
    do not mean to get anyone's panties in a bunch over this comment

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Downgraded very heavily.

Undying likes this.
  9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Sure, same thing happened with Crysis 1 back in the day. But we all remember the " But can it run Crysis? " jokes all over the intenret. And that's what they want again - for people to talk about them.

ITGuru likes this.
  10. TalentX

TalentX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX4090 AIO
    When Crysis 1 launched back in 2007 it wasn't really a hardware-killer. It ran bad on all PCs because the game was very poorly optimized and it still is, as it still runs horrible with newest hardware. So what really was the reason in my opinion was that Crytek and EA hid the problems the game had by telling the folks that it's massively performance-hungry.

However, generally speaking CryEngine 5.6 already runs pretty smooth and most of the problems the engine had back in the past are quite fixed today.
    That said what I wonder more is not whether if we will be able to run Crysis Remastered or not, instead I wonder whether it will be DRM-Free or not, and how much they're going to charge for the game. Remember, this is a remaster so most of its contents already exists which will be copy-paste.

What I would also like to know if they're going to make a proper PC-Version of the game not just performance-optimization-wise but also in terms of screen-real estate, controls and accessibility. There is a high chance that the PC-Version will be a simple port from Console-Version copying everything from it without changing anything but graphics capabilities.
    But hey, that's just my opinion.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Crysis ran pretty good if you had a good pc and you could lower the settings to get running on a less powerful PC, my brother had a GTX 8800 Ultra Leviathan at the time and I was amazed by how well it ran on that.

Crysis 3 on the other hand, ran like crap on good pc's and even lowering every single setting as low as it could go and it would still run like crap on less powerful pc's.

If Crysis runs like Crysis 3, I'm out... I'm not going to bother.

12. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Since they are using the new engine and all i'll not be surprised if it'l run good. Definitely a day 1 buy for me, just for the memories of me playing it on a hd3870 at 27fps avg. The second game after FarCry were i really cared less about the fps.

13. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Other than this game was the last one that made my jaw drop down the floor at the time and if i am not mistaken this is the last time that happen , i was really interested to it's gameplay i i w bored in 30 minutes. From what i see people either don't care or love it i guess

14. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Everyone keeps going on about performance, and how is it going to run it. Somethings to keep in mind,

-Crysis for its time was horribly optimized.
    -The DX9 and DX10 API's used for Crysis were not equip to handle what Crytek set out to do. Huge overhead.
    -Modern API's now are made to take advantage of multiple cores, different architectures, and scale very well. Games have scaled very well on the Switch for example Doom, Witcher 3, Wolfenstein, Overwatch just to name a few.
    -I can only hope and assume this new Cryengine will scale very well to different levels of hardware in mind.

user1 likes this.
  15. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    I'm willing to bet when all settings are maxed out, you'll see something very similar to this:

I wouldn't call 15% of all GPU's and growing rapidly, in the steam hardware survey "a tiny niche". It's not like they're restricting the use of the game to only people with raytracing cards. If you don't have raytracing, you dont get raytracing. This way everyone regardless of having the latest GPU can enjoy the game.
    You've been around long enough to understand the simple concept that by pushing graphics software beyond the limits of the hardware, they are driving innovation since once you create a market for a product that nobody fulfills, someone will come along fulfill that demand. This is why profit motive is so important in all commerce. And why i just shake my head when i hear people whining about something being too expensive when a solid raytracing card can be had for $299, the RTX2060.

If you adjust for inflation, the current prices of cards like 2080 super and 2080ti are not far off from where some cards have been priced in the past. 8800 ultra cost $1100 in todays dollars back in 2008 for example.

16. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Don't you guys remember Crytek's Neon Noir Ray-Tracing demo? They can get similar visuals to real time ray tracing without dedicated RT cores, I thought it pretty impressive.

17. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I would pay for a remastered Edition of part 1, why the hell not!? A good series like this deserves a Remake in my opinion. Part 2 was the best I think.

18. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    This game will probably be re-released for the PS5 and Series X as well when they launch, so they certainly can be more ambitious with the tech.

I wouldn't be surprised if DXR does become a requirement for PC games sooner rather than later. It mostly comes down to when games stop being released for the PS4 too and instead go next-gen only. RDNA2 kinda leaves all older AMD's architectures in the dust, as well as anything but Turing for Nvidia.

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yeah c1 had bad single threaded gfx pipeline, dx10 somewhat mild it but not enough.

New hunt showdown uses latest cryengine and I have to say they fixed cpu issues a lot. By beta(early access) it ran a bit so so, but now after numerous fixes its at least 10-15fps faster at same settings.

Still a gpu whoe though, it looks great 2.25x dsr'd from 1080p but I would need at least 1080(ti) for that and stay above 70-90fps.

20. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    I remember blasting through this back in 2007 and desperately tweaking my rig to be able to play it at as high settings as possible. I must have played the opening few levels a gazillion times... the last few... not so much! Will definitely be getting this though!