Feature request: Auto-scale OSD font size or keyboard shortcut to change font size

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by Simplex, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Simplex

Simplex Guest

GPU:
    MSI 2080Ti
    I've been using MSI Afterburner for so long that I remember when it was called RivaTuner :)
    Combined with RTSS it's an excellent and powerful tool, essential for every PC gamer.

There is one thing that always bugged me, which is the size of the OSD - as far as I know the size is not independent from the resolution, so if it is legible in 1080p, then after switching to 4K resolution it becomes very small. By same logic, if the size is fine for 4K resolution, it becomes huge after switching to 1080p.
    This forced me to alt-tab out of the game to change OSD size after changing resolution, but perhaps it would be possible to have an option for the size of OSD to auto scale with resolution - so that it's size is the same in 1080p and in 4K.
    Thanks again Unwinder for your continuing work on Afterburner, it keeps getting better and better.

Regards,
    Simplex

EDIT: Thank you for making me realize that it's possible to use HotkeyHandler plugin to configure shortcuts OSD zoom in/zoom out. You need to modify ZoomRatio property.
    I still think that optional autoscaling based on DPI would be a better solution but it's your software so you will decide whether to implement it or not. I remember you saying RTSS will not support 64bit executables and Vulkan/DX12 renderers, so I am remaining optimistic ;)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    psolord likes this.
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

There will be no auto scaling. Hotkeys for that are already available in HotkeyHandler plugin.

3. Simplex

Simplex Guest

GPU:
    MSI 2080Ti
    Thank you for the reply. How can I use HotkeyHandler plugin to configure shortcuts to increase or decrease overlay font size? Is there documentation for that?

psolord likes this.
  4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

I demonstrated it in video in dev thread, use search please.

5. Simplex

Simplex Guest

GPU:
    MSI 2080Ti
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I used search but I did not know that I am supposed to look for a video on 116th page of "RTSS 6.7.0 beta 1" thread that was started 3 years ago in "MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion" forum. It's so obvious now, how could I have not looked there?

Anyway, I found the post with the video so now I know how to do it. You need to modify the ZoomRatio property.

I will paste it here, so perhaps others will find it too (1:19):

Source: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/rtss-6-7-0-beta-1.412822/page-116#post-5757995

Perhaps you could add it to presets as it is quite useful IMO. Thanks again for amazing work on MSI Afterburner and RTSS.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    psolord and JackTheDipper like this.
  6. Tech Deals

Tech Deals Guest

GPU:
    It's a Big Pile!
    Question... is there a way to actually set the font size, as in an actual number, rather than using zoom?

I use 25 for 1080p, 34 for 1440p, and 50 for 4K, and would like to use the hotkey to just set those numbers rather than messing with zoom.

Try as I might, I can't figure out a profile property name for font size.

7. Tech Deals

Tech Deals Guest

GPU:
    It's a Big Pile!
    I spent some time messing with zoom size. Unless I've lost my mind, there is no way to do a zoom level between 1 and 2.

Setting it nicely for 1080p, there is no zoom to 1440p that makes sense. 4K is of course 2x 1080p which is fine, but there isn't a 1.4 option for 1440p.

I tried various combos of smaller fonts and larger zooms, but there is a max zoom, so that doesn't work.

It's a nice idea, but the zoom feature involves huge jumps that I can't figure out how to make smaller.