445.78 hotfix gpu randomly stuck at low core clock while gaming

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by buhzy, Apr 10, 2020.

1. buhzy

buhzy Member

GPU:
    Msi rtx 2070 super
    as stated in title the core clock randomly stuck at 300 and sometimes 700 mhz while playing shadow of the tomb raider and never changes again, the game and the whole pc turn into slideshow that i have to press the physical restart button

i have the global power management to optimal power and the power management in shadow of the tomb raider is set to prefer maximum performance

this issue never happen with 442.59, only with 445.78 hotfix

i always use ddu before updating drivers

my gpu is rtx 2070 super with windows 10 build 18363

anyone else have this problem or knows a solution to it?

also how do i report this bug to nvidia?

(sorry for my english)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  2. Mustang104

Mustang104 Member Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 3080 RTX
    buhzy likes this.
  3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    what happen when you put gobal to maximum performance?, I think it better to keep globaly on max and put adaptive on per basis as needed, there no reason for anything but max performance setting to be used it you on Desktop, those other setting are really only usefull on laptops and mobile device. I dont trust optimal or adaptive setting to control GPU performance. I had instance where it thought idle speed are only thing need which resulted in poor performance. to many time. which why its always set to Max performance global. The algorithm that control this probably got better over time but still that can happen.Doing this will atlest rule out the the cause of the issue being it "thinks" the performance isnt need to run right.

And for those that will cite it save power again, why did you have desktop? in idle state even if max performance is used globally on gpu the power draw is minimal.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    Smough and buhzy like this.
  4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    What does having a desktop have to do with unnecessarily wasting power? Simply setting Prefer Max Performance in the game profile and you do not have to reboot to test it.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I don't. this is plain silly.

6. buhzy

buhzy Member

GPU:
    Msi rtx 2070 super
    Yeah i reverted to 442.59 and it's working fine but i want to update drivers for new games and fixes so nvidia should fix it

7. buhzy

buhzy Member

GPU:
    Msi rtx 2070 super
    The issue reverse, the core and mem clock stuck at maximum at idle

Thanks for suggestion but i don't t like wasting power and raise temps at idle

Also the clocks was working fine at previous driver with optimal global and setting individual games to maximum performance so nvidia should just fix this new bug

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    windows update like to keep adding process that hit on gpu causing it to run full clock. one has to generally set those process to adaptive manual, nvidia gpu activity is good way yo find those process, some time nvidia already added those process to list but for some times those process still run full clock speed, which why I add them manual. and I rather do this then have to worry about adaptive not working right.

My gpu run at idle speed just fine with global using max performance. if doing this make gpu run full clock speed at "idle" you need to use the GPU activity built into nvcp and find the process running on the gpu and make profile for them manually and set it to adaptive.

Smough and buhzy like this.
  9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    says you, that is your opinion not mine, but i know for fact from my experiences put global to max performance has less issues then it being to to optimal or adaptive which makes it own decisions on if program or game need full clocks, and find the programs that need to be set to adpative keep so system gpu goes to idle speed correctly vs having to set each my games to max performance cause I dont like adaptive or optimal setting.

cause I rather have peace of mind know my game are use max performance by default cause it used globally, then wondering why my game isnt cause adaptive dont always work right? and less pain then have to set each game to max performance? much less of pain to find the stray program running on gpu using full clock when it shouldnt be and setting it to adaptive, then doing it for my games. your also not wasting power with Max performance in global either less, have stray program running in back ground cause gpu to go to full clocks when your system is in idle.

Again my opinion my experience hence why I have my system using max performance by default.

Smough likes this.
  10. buhzy

buhzy Member

GPU:
    Msi rtx 2070 super
    Ok might try that, thanks

11. CyberSparky

CyberSparky Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 XC3
    Personally I would set it manually for that particular application and leave it. No issues there. However if you set it globally, it will not hit idle clocks to my knowledge, which then wastes energy and creates heat in doing so.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    ^
    Again using max performance in global does not mean idle speed of gpu wont happen, only time that happens is if there is program/processes running on the gpu in background that has no built in profile in nvcp in which cause it uses global setting or a broken profile might be set to adaptive but dont wont work which why I said manual set said program to adaptive after you find it with gpu activity built in to nvcp. Idle speeds on the GPU works fine on system when it idle and max performance is used, which uses the same amount power and create same amount of heat, as setting global to adaptive cause idle speed are globally the same reguardless of max/adaptive/optimal.

from my point view it better to just leave it globally max performance and not have to worry about the "drivers" saying this game not need max performance when it actual does. and setting the few and between programs/processes that run on the gpu to adaptive manually is less of hassle then have to set each game to max performance. one can choose to use adaptive for global and have to set there game to max performance manually or use max performance and not have too. but people need to stop saying using max performance keep the system gpu from going into idle speed cause it dont so long as there is no process/program running in background that dont have profile for it in first place.

It worked like this for since forever. with windows 10 there seem to be new process every "new"build which need to have profile created other wise it will keep the gpu at full clock speed before windows 10 this was almost never and issue .

my system have been set like for very long time any only time idle gpu clock dont work when global max performance is used is when there is stray program/process running in background

Example to what I mean by this is "avast" program/processes at one point starting the run parts of it gui on the GPU and if global max performance is used and there is no profile for it will keep the system from going to idle gpu speed. if you make profile for and set it to adaptive idle speed will work again.

I not saying this all fixes the OP problem but this miss info about max performance in global will keep the gpu from ever hitting idle clocks is wrong. it is missing or broke profiles. cause if this fixes the problem that means there are broke profiles some where

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The fact you have issues is the issue, stop settling for partially defective cards, you won't get "issues" then.