Comet Lake Desktop CPUs reportedly run hot

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 9, 2020.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Comparing with what Intel needs to cool off their chips, this is a walk in the park.
    Remember that half joke that Intel needs a full fridge to cool off those X299 chips up to 22 cores? Like Core i9-10980XE with 165W Max TDP but going way , way higher than that and generating heat like a stove?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  2. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Pulling 87 watts and even 100 watts is almost certain to fall under a 65 watt TDP.

3. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I look forward to showing these chips who's boss with my T-Rex CPU pot and 100L of Ln2 at my disposal!

cowie, jura11 and chispy like this.
  4. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    My frying pan is ready :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    jbscotchman and chispy like this.

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Those chips should be named Boiler Lake.

6. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Just imagine if we have a super hot summer too. Those temps are based on an ambient of around 20C. These will throttle i'm pretty sure with the standard cooler at least.

chispy likes this.
  7. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    sad part is if they manage to keep even 1% better fps vs zen3 they will continue to sell like crazy, along with a truckload of rebranded motherboards

Celcius likes this.
  8. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    No i'm not , with close to 20 years of experience on the competitive overclocking scene running Liquid Nitrogen , Dry Ice , 2 stage phase cascades , Single Stages Phases and water chillers i can re assure you i know exactly what i'm doing ;) , so let me know whats been your first hand experience with this cpus 9980xe ?

Keitosha, jura11, carnivore and 3 others like this.
  9. beedoo

beedoo Member Guru

GPU:
    6900XT Liquid Devil
    Hmmm. I'm wondering why yours is running so hot...

I'm running a Threadripper 2950X with 8 DIMMS populated, PBO and other aggressive settings, and with 30 minutes of Handbrake all cores at 4200 it tops out at 58 degrees with 30 degrees ambient...

I'm using a custom loop, with a fan mounted to the rear of the CPU back plate.

10. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    My office computer is a Phenom X4 965BE and the CPU fan died and my cpu temp was 197F!!! After that the cpu runs good with a new fan.

11. Francesco

Francesco Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870
    The truth is that it doen's matter how crappy these CPUs will be.

Thanks to their high brand recognition, to the long lasting partnership deals and to their die hard aficionados, INTEL will still be able to sell them like candies.

12. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Everyone saying Intel will sell these like hot cakes even if they are just 1% faster i think are wrong.

I'm pretty sure people will be put off these by heat/wattage usage and the high pricing and the lack of PCIe 4.0.

I'm 100% gonna get AMD-4000 chip and hopefully the 4700X will be a 12/24 core @65w this time around.

AMD could be upping core count again so that Intel can't keep up with their 10/20 chips.

chispy likes this.
  13. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Heh Pentium 4 anyone? However in all seriousness I am think by Intel sticking to 14nm++++++++++++++ for long as they have is finally catching up with them and it's biting them in right where it hurts.

14. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Pentium 4 Prescott

sykozis and Denial like this.
  15. omagic

omagic Member

GPU:
    GIGABYTE GTX 1080
    What did they expect with "Comet" in name...

16. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Comets are made of Ice bro so yea.

17. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Comedy Lake Desktop CPUs reportedly run hot

Fixed :p

sykozis likes this.
  18. phatbx133

phatbx133 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1050ti 4GB
    Heavy duty chiller will take care of it.

sykozis likes this.
  19. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    Yeah, it will.

Not assuming you're entirely serious, but OK, so there is that expense, along with the cost of the processor. Add in the "premium" motherboard, complete with the 6 kg. brick of monolithic sculptured, stylized® aluminum that poses as a heat-sink. In the absence of even the feeble turbulence of a conventional fan-sink, if the CPU is pegging 80°C or more, what tune are the MOSFETS screaming as they smother?

I understand that some enthusiasts want all the performance they can possibly get, but, for me, this seems like Intel is dangling a mighty dodgy, bright and shiny thing out there hoping that, at least one more time, people will give it a chance. Sure, it's wise to wait for actual reviews. Absolutely.

I would add that it might be wise to wait for Intel to get it's act together, too.

jbscotchman likes this.
  20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Everything depends on clock and voltages. If I run all 12C/24T under full load @4,5GHz, I get to those 80°C.
    But if I run them on 4GHz, It stays easily under 60°C.
    Considering ambient temperature is around 22°C, deltas are some 35°C at 4GHz and 58°C at 4,5GHz. That means reduction of clock by some 10% reduces delta to ambient by good 40%.

I wrote it before. Just because CPU can clock that high does not mean it should be clocked that way when it is far away from power efficient range.
    At 4GHz clock, intel and AMD improved power efficiency a lot over years.

When I limit TDP to 71W on my 3900X and use PBO2 it boosts yo 3,9GHz. But If I set all cores to 4GHz and set required voltage, It eats just around 65W.