Download: AMD Chipset driver v2.04.04.111

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    A couple of weeks ago AMD released a new chipset driver, in our forums we already noticed an unusual number of people having issues with actually installing these, as the installation halted. ...

Download: AMD Chipset driver v2.04.04.111

JonasBeckman likes this.
  2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Oh nice these even have release notes now. Good to see more details on what's actually changed instead of just a general overview of what the device drivers are and install instructions. :)
    (It was possible to compare and see updated device drivers but this is a really nice addition.)

3. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Let me know guys if you still have an issue when installing it.

4. LM2014

LM2014 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800XT
    Install but GPIO driver still doesn’t update to 2.2.0.126.

Known Issues stated as: Installer may not install a sub-package to the latest version.

rafaelluik likes this.

5. Drazen

Drazen Member

GPU:
    GTX 2060
    I do not remember of any issues I ever had with normal installers, eg once provided by Microsoft - InstallShield.
    AMD installer (and a lot of others) has fancy graphics, transparencies but main purpose is crap. That's like having TV looking fancy but picture quality is poor.
    For example AMD previous installer launches separate process just to show progress bar and real installer is in background invisible. Not to mention unzipped files stored in c:\AMD and as well as in %AppData%/AMD folders with registry entries pointing to both. Taking GB of HDD for nothing.

And AMD support is special story! Useless!

If someone from AMD reads this, please installer runs just once to update software and that's it. We do not need fancy graphics just to work correctly and to clear everything behind.

6. FlyBy

FlyBy Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 1080ti wc
    Had that 0% Progress bar error with this newest driver on a freshly build PC, 10Pro, Gigabyte Aorus Elite X570, 3600X, 5500XT8GB, 1TB 970 Evo and 16GB-3200CL16_"made for AMD"...well, that didn't help , LoL.

Installed the previous driver w/o any issues after I deinstalled all of AMD first.

Maybe the next one :)

7. undorich

undorich Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce Palit 1080
    well first download is always 17mb, second is 50mb then. to install it, i dont wanna try. happy with my board (asus) driver update service. is there any need for this broken package ?
    most drivers incl. here are the same anyway ?

8. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    They removed the progress counter.

9. Aztec2Step

Aztec2Step Active Member

GPU:
    Pulse RX 6800
    I installed it without issue. Heh. *shrugs*

10. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Installed fine here.

11. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @FlyBy most likely not the driver.
    Running 10 on x570 ultra and no probs.

12. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Ditto--have to manually install it, just like I did in March. Everything but the GPIO driver installed then, too--had to manually install it in March. The installer thinks it has installed the GPIO driver, but after reboot, it hasn't'. Left a note about this in another forum for AMD. I wonder if it's a Secure Boot issue with respect to that one driver.

rafaelluik likes this.
  13. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I had some problems , apparently i had 2 driver sets installed , and both were listed in programs and features.

when the first install froze, i rebooted to safe mode, but apparently you cant uninstall the driver from there.

So i rebooted into normal windows, and could uninstall both driver sets, and install this new set. AMD drivers, gotta love em!

14. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Well they probably use QT5 so it's hardware accelerated and might not work with the OS in a minimal state like safe-mode although that should be corrected I would expect so even if not all components are unloaded it can still do a more thorough cleanup instead of failing.

Not sure why the GPIO(V2) driver is acting up either, even from a existing install it took to 2.2.0.126 here instead of remaining at 2.2.0.124 but there's plenty of posts about it indicating anything from path placement for the file to other install issues but this version seem to have primarily been geared on fixing the installer itself so hopefully the next update can resolve the various component installation issues since it's already there under known issues. :)

Hmm no idea what's going on with the bios either but it might be a while for the next major AGESA update and in the meantime it looks like it's mostly beta bios updates with various vague changes.
    Gigabyte F12 from December to March going through six revisions since F11 with the only note being "Improved memory compatibility." though comparisons show it changed more than just that.
    (Looks like Asrock and Asus has new versions out too from a quick glance for whatever they've been working on.)

But a main AGESA 1.0.0.5 or whatever would also be for the X400 and earlier motherboards, or 1.0.0.0 again if the version number resets for every revision and the next one pops up around the time the Zen 3's and Ryzen 4000's are released. :D

EDIT: Come to think of it the uninstall process would only really need to call the Microsoft Install process so going with some fancy GUI needing this or that yeah it probably could be improved.
    (Since it's multiple components and other key bits going via the device manager isn't optimal either nor is removing the wrong bit and whoops unbootable.)

15. LM2014

LM2014 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800XT
    I already did it manually :)

16. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    Sorry if this seems ignorant, because I simply am on this subject. I'm not that familiar with chipset drivers, outside of just going on the website, getting the right one for my chipset and installing that. Now I'm reading that there's issues with the "GPIO" driver not installing the latest version. So I'm having to ask the following questions:

1) How does one find out which version of the GPIO driver is actually installed? (What do I search for about this in my Windows?)
    2) How would I go about installing the right version manually?

Thanks.

17. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The device manager.

Either from the control panel and system and there's a device manager link there or from the start menu and devmgmt.msc

Expand system devices and AMD GPIO Controller and double click on it and the driver version should read 2.2.0.126 under the driver tab. :)
    2.2.0.124 from the prior version of the chipset driver.

Since these extract to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\AMD\Chipset_Driver_Installer\AMD_Chipset_Drivers

And then a string like {FAB158F6-587B-4443-B56D-4D8E537C035C}
    (Previous version)

You can also browse into that and update the 2.2.0.124 manually to 2.2.0.126 :)

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\AMD\Chipset_Driver_Installer\AMD_Chipset_Drivers\{FAB158F6-587B-4443-B56D-4D8E537C035C}\IODriver\GPIO2\GPIO2 Driver\WT\x64

And then it should find amdgpio2.inf and install.
    (But again the FAB string is from the prior version, this one would use a slightly different one but overall the path is the same so that's how it can be done.)

EDIT: Which is done from the "Update driver" button in the device manager for the GPIO controller and it's driver version select the old have disk (Even if we no longer use floppy disks.) and just browse and select that folder and it'll pick up and install the INF if it matches and will then update to the newest version.

rafaelluik and Zenoth like this.
  18. Hypernaut

Hypernaut Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    What is it with AMD and drivers?

19. gdmaclew

gdmaclew Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX-580 4GB
    I usually have the same reservations but I usually trust AMD drivers.
    Installed this new set on my X570 ASUS TUF Gaming/2700x system and everything works perfectly.

20. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I had all sort of problems with their gpu drivers on my 5700XT but never had one single problem with the chipset drivers with my 1800x (did not buy it on launch i think i bought it 6 months after launch or so).