Steam Shows Intel Core CPUs Gaining ground on the processor install base over AMD Ryzen

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Exactly my thoughts on this. It's not new PC builders suddenly going all out on Intel, it's simply all the people using their laptops / old hardware.

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Yeah, it's a pretty believable theory indeed.

4. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Theory: People stopped playing Cinebench, and started playing actual games again...

Margalus, paulonone and jbscotchman like this.

5. mentor07825

mentor07825 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    I have a 5700XT and I can somewhat understand the AMD GPU falling trends. The cards are okay but man the drivers leave a lot to be desired. The GPU market isn't AMD's focus right now and it shows. I'd like to believe RDNA2 based cards will make them competitive to Nvidia outside pricing segments but frankly I'd rather pay the premium for Nvidia now if it means I no longer have a black screen every time I boot up a game.

6. mannix

mannix Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 ArmorOC
    Just handed over yesterday to a friend an old Intel notebook to play Steam games :D
    Theory is indeed valid.

7. beedoo

beedoo Member Guru

GPU:
    6900XT Liquid Devil
    Your comments never fail to disappoint.

Jackalito and craycray like this.
  8. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Everyone digging out their old notebooks from storage, as you can't get a webcam for neither love nor money at this point? :)

9. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    Then you'd expect Nvidia's share to decrease as old those old Intel laptops aren't going to have fancy Nvidia gpu's in them.

10. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    The laptop theory makes way more sense than people actually choosing Intel chips right now. Either that or people are playing more games on their "rando" Intel Dell office computers.

11. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Clearly it's not only old laptops.

12. Daytona675

Daytona675 Member

GPU:
    DEVIL13 7990
    I have never in my life been asked to do a survey on AMD/ATI through Steam within the last decade when I ran the combo. Now that I run Intel/Nvidia it won't shut the hell up about surveys.

GSDragoon likes this.
  13. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    If the Linux graph has thought me anything, is to take their surveys with a grain of salt. Also my swiss cheese took a dive with the latest round of mitigations.

14. labidas

labidas Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    the dead are awakening! RUN!

Jackalito, Fox2232 and Maddness like this.
  15. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Its for sure people using their old machines to log in during the lockdown.

My fiance loaded up her old laptop to play some old games on which are also on steam which she hasn't done in probably over 3 years.

Her sister also logged in to steam so she could play on her laptop that is around 5 years old now.

Both contain Intel CPU's, one has Intel HD iGPU, and the other is I think an MX150.

I can totally see many other people doing the same thing.

16. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I've not done their survey in years. I still count as an Intel and nVidia user probably.

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Uh... online stores are still in operation. I got the impression most of AMD's sales were done online. So... what exactly is BS to you? Also, Hilbert's theory revolves around COVID-19, so, what is this "as if nothing ever happened" coming from?
    If you're going to troll, at least don't have more holes in your argument than Swiss cheese...
    As a Linux gamer, I still don't see why those surveys shouldn't be taken seriously. Are they 100% accurate? No, of course not, but they're definitely close enough to give a realistic expectation. I haven't yet encountered a compelling argument as to why they shouldn't be considered.

18. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    What would they have if not an Nvidia GPU? You couldn't play anything with an old Intel iGPU, not even Terraria, I bet, so there would need to be a GPU. Most of them were from Nvidia. Remember that this is the Steam survey. People only install and launch Steam to play games, or at least the vast majority do. My dusty old laptop has Intel+Nvidia.

19. deefop

deefop Member Guru

GPU:
    HiS 7870 + Asus 7870 CF
    I believe Hilberts theory.
    Based on the sales numbers we've been seeing, it's clear that Intel is getting slaughtered in sales at the moment.
    Gaming *is* the only workload where they still have something of an edge, but quite honestly unless you're playing an esports title and you absolutely need to have the highest FPS possible and cost means absolutely nothing, buying Intel even for gaming just doesn't make sense.
    The 3600 goes on sale into the $160 range pretty commonly anymore, and absolutely nothing Intel offers can remotely compete with that in terms of performance at that price point.

Maddness likes this.
  20. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    would be nice to see what uArchs are growing..