Download: Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.4.1 drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    sounds like a game error, memory is handled by the game developer in dx12

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    nvidia is at 7nm for ampere.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  3. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    I could replicate it on any game but i just did an install of windows so see how it goes

4. UkOldGit

UkOldGit Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    It only happens with this game. If I start it in full screen borderless it's ok and I can change to full screen in game ok but if I tab to the desktop and return to the game it corrupts, also it will corrupt the screen if I start the game with full screen set. A friend of mine has the same problem but now uses HDMI which seems to work ok instead of display port.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
    8nm Samsung

JonasBeckman likes this.
  6. bjoswald

bjoswald Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD 630
    Not sure if the driver is causing this, but I had a BSoD playing DayZ last night. Never happened with any other set.

KERNEL-CHECK-SECURITY-FAILURE

Something like that, anyway.

7. Akakiy

Akakiy Member

GPU:
    MSI RX 5700 MECH OC
  8. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    @UkOldGit : thanks for the information, forwarded to our team.

Jackalito likes this.
  9. UkOldGit

UkOldGit Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Thank you.

10. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Does it really says "VRAM" or something else with "heap" or "commit" or "upload"?

11. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    it said vram and showed the total vram plus free vram

something like swapchain

anyway it seems to be fixed now

12. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    Reporting a new problem which has not existed in 20.3.1 before.

On my VEGA64 I now cannot play The Division 2 in DX12 & Freesync 2 HDR mode anymore - it starts normally, then more and more corruption occurs and after 15-20 seconds it is unplayable. It is enough to stay in the menu for this.
    SDR mode works properly without any issues.
    Reverting back to 20.3.1 fixes the problem.

13. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    HDR works in doom nice!

Not sure about crashes when watching hardware accelerated videos (youtube/twitch), I've noticed they occur more usually when i close the browser, aka when the GPU (5700XT) leaves video mode

14. Hypernaut

Hypernaut Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    This cannot possibly be a driver issue any longer. There must be a fundamental hardware fault across these cards that is causing the black screens. Samsung monitors like mine seem to suffer from it regularly. Perhaps compatibility? Who knows?

I have never before experienced such bugs and issues since upgrading to the 5700 XT. I had an RX 570 before and that ran perfectly for two years. The moment I upgrade to Navi I experience fault after fault. It has to be a design or manufacturing error.

15. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Video decoding is buggy on ATI/AMD GPUs since 10.000 BC. That's the main cause of black screen on any Radeon GPU. But since they are unable to reproduce and catch the bug, they do not care.

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I know it's a bit slower and there's reports that quality isn't the greatest plus even after switching from the prior decoder (VCE?) to this new one (VCN?) for some of the embedded Vega GPU models and Navi there's still some shortcomings and unsupported formats though perhaps Video Core Next 2.0 will see some improvements if that's going to be used on the newer cards. Not sure if it's that bad though but it is another area that is in need of improving for what the driver and software situation can do to improve things at least.

Other issue is the ongoing hardware acceleration issues and how it keeps going back and forth for Chrome/Chromium and Edge and Firefox and so on while video playback such as Youtube (And Google changing who knows what.) is a big factor just image decoding or website browsing in general can cause anything from a tab crash to a browser crash and full GPU driver crash plus whatever actually is behind the Navi black screen almost a shutdown to full shutdown GPU crash.

Which I suppose amounts to a variety of rumors and suggestions together with what can be seen in for example the Linux open source drivers and kernel submissions from AMD themselves and all sorts of fiddling and workarounds including temporarily even forcibly disabling hardware acceleration from what I'm reading but if it's back in 19.4.1 here then that override might have been removed again but the problem itself certainly seems to persist still.

EDIT: For now though I keep HW accelerated browsing disabled because well there are drawbacks but it keeps things stable and AMD seems to be incapable of keeping it fixed for very long.
    (It can work pretty well but every so often there's a influx of posts or bug reports and it's broken again whatever caused it this time.)

I'm on Firefox myself but it also affects Chrome and CEF so it's not just from Mozilla fiddling around with the 3D acceleration and framework for that even if that's seen extensive changes and playing catchup to Google and their stuff with for example Youtube as well.

EDIT: And with stuff like the forcibly disabling HW acceleration having been a thing somethings going on with AMD's driver implementation with these newer drivers.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/flv415/if_you_updated_radeon_drivers_to_2031_hardware/

What else? Well the AMD Chipset Drivers should see a update on Tuesday the 7th probably just fixing the install process, bit unrelated to the GPU situation but that's good to see fixed.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ft0a0n/an_update_on_the_chipset_driver/

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  17. FR4GGL3

FR4GGL3 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I could be wrong on this, but could anyone please measure if there is a difference at the Hotspot Temperatures whether "GPU Scaling" is active or not?
    If my figures are right, there is a difference of 5-7° C PLUS as soon as I enable GPU Scaling (Hotspot, measured in 3D Mark and Battlefield V).

If that is true, this explaines the higher Hotspot Figures on my Vega since the 2020 edition Adrenalines. I simply switched on GPU Scaling in order to use the Integer Scaling.

I still have the Scaling Bug like on 20.3.1. Other than that 20.4.1 is stable so far. I have a little less distortion by using HDR on Battlefield V. The Freesync Flickering at the BF V Movies still exists, but the Glitches on the Movies are no longer there.

18. justdoge

justdoge Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX580 Gaming X
    just reinstalled 20.4.1 with ddu as usual and factory reset in driver installer to be sure, and its the same. wwz VK crashes on start and getting 2s black screen / driver restarts in FF and on desktop. looks like im going back to 20.3.1

19. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Reinstall windows as some recent update messed up dx12

cant remember which update but a new install plus update to latest cumulative seems to have fixed the problems

20. Lipici

Lipici Member

GPU:
    I can confirm the flickering in movies with freesync activated.
    Video profile settings still missing and not working.
    Gpu scalling and scalling mode needs tutorial mode. Never working.