Windows: Line-Based vs. Message Signaled-Based Interrupts. MSI tool.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, May 7, 2013.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Already answered that question (I see you do not know posts in this thread by heart). :cool:

These are devices working in MSI mode without any registry values. The column "msi" shows namely registry value states.

2. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Ok, good to know.

3. Nguyen Trong Tinh

Nguyen Trong Tinh Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050 4GB
    @mbk1969 should I check MSI this ???
    upload_2020-4-4_21-45-43.png

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070

5. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Hi All, I'm hoping someone can help me out with some latency issues causing pops during audio output from my laptop. Below are the specs if it helps and I have only recently re-installed Windows 10 to try and alleviate the pops, unfortunately, it hasn't helped and they are still there.

Alienware Area 51m Laptop
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1909
    i7 9700K
    RTX 2080
    16GB RAM

These are my screenshots of latency monitor and MSI whilst a Youtube video is playing on Chrome. Should I enable MSI for all devices listed?

upload_2020-4-6_11-36-47.png

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    disable the intel wifi.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  7. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Does it look like that's playing a part in this? I can obviously re-enable as needed.

Thanks for the quick response. I disabled Intel Wifi and restarted, this is it now.

upload_2020-4-6_12-12-54.png

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    do not start applications while logging, it is meant to be run purely idle.

9. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    This is it after a restart and being left to idle for 4-5 minutes before running the latency monitor.

upload_2020-4-6_12-24-51.png

10. Gedza91

Gedza91 Member

GPU:
    Gtx 750 Ti 2GB
    Hi guys. I reinstalled the windows bcause i was infected by some virus. New 1909 version,standard drivers,only updated gpu drivers. Yea i was disabeld my network card because i read wifi and lan driver (cars) can cause spikea and latency. So i put now on msi mod everything. You can also see on photo cpu and ram info. I will give you more info about my pc: Motherboard :Msi G41M-P26, Xeon E5450 oc 3.26, 8GB Ram 1166 mhz, GTX 750 Ti, hdd Hitachi 750gb,500w poer supply (cheap model). But i found out the problem,i read about IRQ conflict. And yes,i got two same hardware or device sharing the same IRQ,whic probably causes spikes lags on youtube (1080p) & gaming. Here is the Irq info. I hope there is a way to fix this.

Attached Files:

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @Fire Tiger

You can switch MSI mode on for both High Definition Audio Controllers and for Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Processor Participant.
    Do you have Thunderbolt devices attached to laptop? If no then you can disable Thunderbolt controller (preferably in BIOS).
    Do you use Killer Ethernet Controller? If no then you can disable it too.

MSI mode decision is easy - if you see "Msi" or "MsiX" in column "supported modes" then you can try MSI mode on for that device.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I was about to say that, DPC's are accumulative so it could be anything in the system thats polling frequently causing such volatile spiking, but also being a laptop means there are often vendor specific applications with their own drivers and software that add to the total processor to interrupt rate too.

The synaptic touchpad driver has been at fault in the past, same as intel wifi, killer ethernet, intel storage and whoevers sound drivers are used.

DPTF on intel notebooks is a common cause of DPC spiking.

Fire Tiger and mbk1969 like this.
  13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You can see that SATA controller doesn`t support MSI mode, so most probably the only way to remove 19 IRQ sharing would be disabling USB controller which occupies the same 19 IRQ.
    You can try Intel`s SATA driver from here https://www.win-raid.com/t2f23-Intel-RST-RSTe-Drivers-latest-v-WHQL-v-WHQL.html - go for v11.2.0.1006 drivers in "A. "Classical" Intel RST Drivers and their RST Software:" section.

Gedza91 likes this.
  14. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    On my Asus P8Z77 Pro MB (Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller)

I am using Intels SATA 12.9 and it supports MSI mode, I believe right out of the box.

15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Why did you write that? Gedza91 has no 7 series chipset motherboard.

PS Your SATA controller works in MSI mode with default Windows 10 drivers.

PPS For 7 series motherboards v13.1 is considered as most interesting.

16. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    My comment wasn't toward him, just a general one that Intels SATA driver seems to support MSI fine. There are a lot of people reading this post.

You want me to delete it, I don't care either way?

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I don`t want you to delete it, just do not create confusion with your posts. Do you agree that Gedza91 can interpret your post as addressed directly to him?

18. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    I have enabled MSI mode to the devices mentioned by @mbk1969

Currently, there are no Thunderbolt devices connected. Unfortunately, I use the Killer Ethernet when not using Intel Wifi and vice versa.

In terms of disabling devices, if that turns out to fix it, is that the resolution? Or would you then recommend finding a new/legacy driver for that device and working with it until the spikes stop?

New screenshot below after enabling the MSI option and restarting, leaving to idle for 4-5 minutes before running the monitor.

upload_2020-4-6_13-22-59.png

19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @Fire Tiger
    Most probably your laptop uses switchable/dual graphics - i.e. NVIDIA (secondary) card is "connected" to integrated Intel one (primary). If yes then this is bad news for games. Never go after laptops with such graphics subsystem configuration.

PS In old days laptops with switchable graphics required drivers strictly from OEMs.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  20. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    The Intel GPU operates only when a display is connected to the Thunderbolt port, otherwise its apparently in a disabled/down state. Other than disabling those aforementioned devices above do you think I've exhausted my options?