DOOM Eternal

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Nah afaik there are only the 6 you need for unmaykr (unmakyr?). I didn't find any others once I got it anyway.

I decided I needed to spread the good word so I recorded some gameplay:

*Edit and longer/crazier one if you're bored enough:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    cerebus23 and Archvile82 like this.
  2. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 4090 OC
    This is definitely a showcase title for HDR. Many say about how cartoony the game looks but due to the wider colour everything looks more natural.

I think some have the idea HDR is all about pop but it's just as much about displaying more natural colours and enhanced shadow detail in dark scenes.

3. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i can safely say this game might run flawlessly on a gtx 1050 with good framerates

cerebus23 likes this.
  4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Finished the game a moment ago. Well, even though it has it's shortcomings I'd still recommend it. But really, those Marauders feel too overpowered and should either have been toned down a bit or only appeared once as a boss. There isn't a single enemy that comes even close to being as deadly as the marauder :(

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    On lowest settings with rs on.

6. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    classic.. damn.

7. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    Game is very well optimized, could run on medium at 1080p

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It is but also very vram hungry. 2gb barely makes lowest settings playable not becouse isnt fast enough but only becouse card have not enough vram.

Thats why 580/590 can use ultra nightmare settings and 1060/1660 cant.

9. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Same story as always... nvidia cheaps out on the amount of vram.

Undying likes this.
  10. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    ah ok i see, i didn t look at it that way, you re right

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Latest beta of RTSS enables overlay by default for games presenting frames from compute without performance hit.

PSA.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/rtss-rivatuner-statistics-server-download.html

from release notes:

Added alternate asynchronous On-Screen Display renderer for Vulkan applications presenting frames from compute queue (id Tech 6 and newer engine games like Doom 2016 and Dooom Eternal). The implementation is using original AMD’s high performance concept of asynchronous offscreen overlay rendering and the principle of asynchronically combining it with framebuffer directly from compute pipeline with compute shader without stalling compute/graphics pipelines. PresentFromCompute entry in global profile template is set to 1 by default now and it enables new asynchronous implementation. The previous synchronous and more performance consuming implementation is also available and can be enabled by setting PresentFromCompute to 2. It is recommended to enable the previous synchronous implementation for performance comparisons only and for estimating difference in performance hit between new and old implementations

Duke Nil, Undying and Netherwind like this.
  12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Did they finally solve the Steam overlay FPS problem in Doom Eternal?

13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    That's up to how Valve implements monitoring into Steam so who knows. Also I'm running the game via Bethesda launcher.

But you have D:E's own extensive stats and now you can use RTSS / AB as well so really no need for Steam fps counter I think.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Of course, that's what I was using. I was just curious since the Steam FPS counter problem was a documented issue.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Steam had a fix out before Alexey did, (steam beta that is)

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Good to know, interesting also as there's no listings for that on the Steam beta changelog though some changes and internal fixes and anything security related would likely not be fully listed anyway.

17. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Finally got round to finishing the game. So final thoughts.

Day to day combat is a simple balls to the wall series of glorious and gory ultra fast paced barely controlled madness. Perhaps a little bit too much micro management of character stats and resource required for the pace of the combat but once you get the muscle memory in place it is so so good and so much fun. Bar a few specific enemies (Marauder I am looking at you mate!)

The level design is hit and miss, it still uses locked arena combat set pieces similar Doom 2016 some of them are amazing some of them are awful, specifically ones with drop offs or surrounded by lava. The transition points between these locked combat encounter though, the platforming sections as I would call them, are awful. Bordering on something pulled from old school Tomb Raider, only much faster paced. They slow the game down way to much and suffer from a very clear issue of where do I go and what do I do. In a slower paced game that was more focused then perhaps they would fit better but in this game they are nothing more than annoying. Whatever the case of the level design in terms of gameplay the actual the look of the levels and design is amazing.

The story, as daft as it sounds I actually liked the story. I know Doom is a game that needs nothing beyond the bare bones 'that's bad, go kill it' but I actually did enjoy the story and it looks like they are trying to incorporate some sort of story arc across these new Doom games and I got to say I quite like it.

The one biggest issue with the game (Apart from the Marauder) is the bosses, this game cannot do enjoyable engaging boss fights. Universally ALL the boss fights were bad. The reason being they share the same issue.

My typical gameplay style is move and keep moving, switching between weapons and attacks according to need and enemy. The bosses though dominate the combat, they require the player to focus on them specifically. If you're not focusing on them they either don't take any damage, you miss the window of opportunity to attack them or they stab you in the ass with one of their attacks. On the other hand if you DO focus on them you rapidly run out of of ammo or end up getting your ass stabbed by some of the random chod that spawns in. They require an odd switching of focuses which, at least in my gameplay style, did not feel natural, engaging and most importantly fun.

It's an amazing game with some minor flaws, the issue is that those minor flaws can become very big and very annoying obstacles to progression.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    drandiiski likes this.
  18. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Duke Nil likes this.
  19. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I wasn't expecting the hacks watching the current first place run.. I admit I know nothing about speedrunning but thought that the 30mins was actually playing through the game as quickly as possible without anything other than running the entirety of the game, but this one included glitching through 90% of the map

20. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I can respect the skill it takes to make some of the speed running goals and records.

I personally am not a fan of.
    To me, games are made to be savored... take your time, explore, take in all the details.
    I get different people enjoy different things, and to some... speed running them is the biggest appeal. Just, doesn't do anything for me. :)