Win10 2004: WDDM 2.7 Support

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Feb 26, 2020.

1. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Those fail to install.
    Anyway, I won't bother. I rather wait for Win10 2004

Thank you.

2. EugeneJackKhoros

EugeneJackKhoros Active Member

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
  3. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Will 2004 actually be the win10 os that bridges us to be able to use next gen console games?

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    12_2 support I suppose but how long will that take to see implemented and all the varying supported 12_0 and 12_1 levels in existing cards plus lowest common denominator and being held back by lack of supported features in the still popular as always Windows 7 plus D3D12 itself is Win10 only so I would have expected Vulkan for low level API usage and if publishers were a bit more interested that would also allow for more Linux ports as gaming there is also growing and coming along nicely aided by non-native support through Proton and such efforts. :)

D3D11's not going anywhere and 11_1 and later I think we're finally seeing more of with features like HDR still 50/50 as usual and if it's not about implemented/not implemented the actual implementation could be any number of different ways and with varying levels of results or quality unfortunately.

Advanced features like flip model presentation and flip discard are also used less frequently (Came into effect with Windows 8 and discard with Windows 10 I believe.) though VLK and D3D12 makes the whole flip(ping) model and presentation more streamlined and these become supported/required features which I believe is also why stuff like full screen exclusive is less of a thing although Vulkan has extensions for supporting this properly now should that be desired.

What more? hardware something or the other scheduling and something on automatic memory handling might be of interest depending on how it works. Low level API's probably more so since for AMD there's a Vulkan extension for over committing but both are sensitive to memory management and it needs to be implemented well and users actually being careful about not pushing everything above what the GPU can handle ha ha. (Monster Hunter World likes to just crash when that happens in D3D12 mode but I think severe performance impacts is also a possibility same as before with less instability.)

Rest of it and 12_2 well even if the NeXtBox has it that doesn't automatically translate to PC and I think what devs like John Carmack and others stated still applies it's not the same so no 1:1 with the PC D3D12 API unless Microsoft somehow bridged the two and porting is still a process same as before plus all the differences between CPU's and GPU's in user systems and people running Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 of varying builds all the way back to the Thresholds early on before the Redstones and whatever these latest ones are called which I always forget. :p

I like the stuff like the new shader types and eventually replacing or combining the features of existing stuff but it's once again a learning process so I expect outside of direct involvement from Microsoft and NVIDIA or AMD that adaption even in the larger game engines will be slow and game development takes years so might be a while and initial support could be a bit so-so even if it won't be like the earlier D3D12 games mostly jumping through D3D11 I believe is how much of that was accomplished and less D3D12 native. (Until like what, MSI Afterburner had a profile for just that for Halo Wars 1 I think it was?)

EDIT: As to the driver situation I expect NVIDIA to be pretty ready whenever a public 450.xx driver pops up again and the full branch jump and WHQL release, AMD well so far there's only the one older driver from the insider branch and Windows unless anything has changed there.

OS itself well 2004 / 20H1 and 19041 and everything else still has it's bugs so I would hope Microsoft adds in one more cumulative or two in April before pushing it out but anything goes I guess although there should be less critical problems as thanks to the lengthier testing since like early December at least and no new main builds instead going with more cumulative updating and patching issues as reported.
    (Only one I have encountered so far is the disk defragmenter reporting that it always needs to be optimizing or deffing the drives - SSD/HDD - but it's visual only and means little compared to other problems and install issues that could exist.)

Eastcoasthandle likes this.

5. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Both the PS4 and Xbox One will probably still be supported for at least two years, and probably GCN 1 and Maxwell (Kepler is already falling quickly) on PC as a result of that, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see feature level 12_2 being the minimum for games already in three years. It's just a question of when the current consoles are dropped.
    The new consoles will eventually be the new reference hardware to target and anything not equal will not be able to remain relevant. RDNA2 in consoles will be superior to all of AMD's current GPUs in both horsepower and feature sets. Nvidia Turing might technically be "safe" in terms of feature sets, but the rest are also in danger.

It's probably going to be similar to how DX10 GPUs were phased out shortly after the PS4/Xbone were released, and DX9 GPUs with SM2.0 died fast when PS3/360 were out.

Both consoles are going to use seven Zen 2 cores above 3 Ghz with SMT for gaming. If a game is CPU limited on that with low level access API, there's no way CPUs on PC will be able to bruteforce their way through it using DX11 anymore. Vulkan or DX12 are simply going to be required.

Both DX12 and Vulkan on Windows 7 are supposed to be less performant than on Win10 but I've never found any comparisons.

6. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    [​IMG]
    This is in 2004.
    As far as I know this is suppose to help with video, etc. Anyone with 2004 have this enabled with AMD drivers have any issues with this?

7. MyEinsamkeit

MyEinsamkeit Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Pro VII 16GB
    Dumb question, but are there official drivers out yet that has WDDM 2.7?
    I'm using a workstation GPU, Radeon Pro WX 4100 and i only have wddm 2.6.

8. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    MyEinsamkeit likes this.
  9. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    WDDM 2.7 support is a part of Windows 10 2004 (20H1) update which may be released at the end of April. AMD driver with WDDM 2.7 support will be released WITH or AFTER that Win 10 update release.

MyEinsamkeit likes this.
  10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    There's the Windows insider driver from AMD on the previous page but last I compared it seemed like a early February driver I think it was so you do lose a number of improvements found in 20.2.1, 20.2.2 and the current 20.3.1 driver in return for a early WDDM 2.7 compatible test driver.

I'd just stick with 20.3.1 until something newer comes out as other than hardware scheduling to enabled having some possible benefits there's not much yet using or requiring these other features and the regular drivers work just fine for 2004/20H1 albeit with WDDM 2.6 compatibility. :)

11. jeff69dini

jeff69dini Member

GPU:
    evga 2gb gtx 750ti
    hardware scheduling does NOT work for amd drivers, even with the insider driver you mentioned, there is a lot of talk about using a registry setting but that does not work either afaik

JonasBeckman likes this.
  12. Now that is interesting...

13. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Crap, I thought I had the link for that. Had to do some searching...I have the raw links...can't find the original links.

These are almost certainly improvements we're going to see in RDNA in the future.
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2019/0179798.html
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2019/0164328.html

On Die Memory:
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2019/0138234.html

3d-stacked memory
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2019/0122704.html

I wish I had those original links...

14. ektoradsj

ektoradsj Member

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB XFX
    I got 27.20.1000.17016 driver now. I uninstalled my old AMD driver, then just Search for updates online in the Device Manager and let Windows install it.

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 19041) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
    Card name: AMD Radeon (TM) RX580 series
    Driver File Version: 27.20.1000.17016 (English)
    Driver Version: 27.20.1000.17016
    DDI Version: 12
    Feature Levels: 12_0,11_1,11_0,10_1,10_0,9_3,9_2,9_1
    Driver Model: WDDM 2.7
    Hardware Scheduling: Supported:False Enabled:False

I dont have hardware sheduling switch in settings.
    Also it installs the new radeon settings from the 20.x.x version series automatically from store
    with custom game profiles.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  15. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    If hardware scheduling isn't support in AMD's 2.7 drivers, I will be very upset.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I did test with older 27.20.1000.8009, no switch option in settings either.

17. jeff69dini

jeff69dini Member

GPU:
    evga 2gb gtx 750ti
    I already posted about no hardware scheduling for 2.7 drivers on Monday fyi, lol

18. narukun

narukun Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 1561/7700
    Do you guys think this is going to improve Shader cache stutter?

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you don't really need to have the OS set scheduling if your hardware and its driver already do it that way.

20. justdoge

justdoge Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX580 Gaming X
    imo very unlikely. stutter occurs in game because shaders are compiled on the fly when you run game app for the 1st time. hunt showdown is particullary bad with this because you basically need to travel whole map and look into every nook and cranny to have a next match going smoothly. also probably amd driver is just sloppy and slow with this as it does not have such impact on nvidia cards. it also depends on game, some titles like r6 siege, WWZ and GR Wildlands iirc compile them before actual gameplay which is realy nice