Folding@home Passes 1.5 ExaFLOPS in compute performance

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 30, 2020.

1. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I guess that's fair. I'm not sure what I was expecting to read since I don't know the med field very well. Of course it wouldn't be like "F@H discovered the miracle cure for covid19!", I just don't really see f@h mentioned much outside the techy community.

Luc likes this.
  2. Luc

Luc Active Member

GPU:
    RX 480 | Gt 710
    It only is a tool.

Most of scientist can only use really old supercomputers as much or to dream about using them.

F@H is another tool, and it looks powerful enough to speed up their pandemic related investigations.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  3. CyberSparky

CyberSparky Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 XC3
    10.4 Million and counting. Let's keep it going!

Luc likes this.
  4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    F@H is part of Pande Labs. You don't see them mentioned because neither the F@H Project nor Pande Labs is connected to a pharmaceutical company. Instead, they are a medical research division of Stanford University Medical School. They do strictly research. They don't develop medications or treatments or cures. They simply look for links in puzzles. The first step in developing a treatment or cure, is first understanding how and why a disease, virus, bacteria, etc came to exist. This is what Pande Labs and the F@H Project try to do. Once F@H returns a viable result, Pande Labs starts working to verify the result. Once they verify a result, they publish a paper. From there, medical researchers and pharmaceutical companies begin working on treatments or cures.

The HPV vaccine that the pharmaceutical companies have been peddling for the last few years....started with F@H.... There's an HIV vaccine (in development) and several newer treatments that started with a similar project from a university in Washington state....(that was actually presented as a game, of all things) There are newer cancer treatments that started with F@H. Those are just what I can recall without spending time on Google. Actually read about the HPV vaccine and the cancer treatments in medical publications a few years ago while waiting to see my Oncologist.....

Every disease, bacteria and virus is believed to come from a protein that "folded" differently from other proteins. The goal of protein folding simulations is to figure out how and at what point, without wasting time and resources.

Stanford University and Pande Labs aren't in it for the "glory".... They're in it for the results...

Computers don't find cures..... That would require a computer to know more about the atomic and biological structure of every protein in existence than humans do. Since computers are programmed by humans, that's impossible.

There is no direct correlation between points and floating point operations. The points are essentially arbitrary numbers assigned to a project and adjusted based on completion time for the sole purpose of creating a "competition" among participants or groups of participants in the F@H project.

Project 11756 is one of the COVID-19 work units.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020

5. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Up to 2.6m+ after I started, looking very good, under guru3d team of course.

Lots of Covid-19 projects that's for sure.

Luc likes this.
  6. Luc

Luc Active Member

GPU:
    RX 480 | Gt 710
    Thanks!

I really appreciate all the info :)

7. Borys

Borys Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Gaming X
    I am very glad to help with this nice thing! I am folding at full power with my R5 3600 @4.2Ghz and with my GTX 1660 @2000Mhz

8. Michal Turlik 21

Michal Turlik 21 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080Ti
    ARE YOU REALLY SURE THAT ALL THOSE PETAFLOPS, HEXAFLOPS AND SO ON ARE REALLY ADDRESSING THE ANTI VIRUS PROGRAM? TRY TO BE SMART GUYS...IT IS CLEAR LIKE THE SUN (THE ONE USED AS MY AVATAR PICTURE) THAT THE RECENT SCENARIO IS BEING USED TO DESTROY THE MIDDLE CLASS POPULATION AND KILL THE MOST VULNERABLES. THE RICH IS GOING TO BE RICHER AND THE POOR POORER.

9. Ridiric

Ridiric Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti @2100Mhz
    MAYBE IF I POST IN ALL CAPS PEOPLE WILL TAKE MY PARANOID RAMBLING SERIOUSLY AND NOT THINK I'M DELUSIONAL!

10. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    wtf is even wrong with you?

11. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    but, can it run crysis?......in a cloud.

12. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    After starting F@H back up I got a grand total of 4 work units in two weeks this was a complete waste of my PC's time and power sitting waiting waiting waiting ad infinitum seeing as I've had no WU's for a week now I'm shutting it down

13. Luc

Luc Active Member

GPU:
    RX 480 | Gt 710
    My R5 1600 received 3 working units today and I paused it until tomorrow after 8 hours working.

RX 480 sits idle most of the time.

Gt 710 works always, but it needs 3 days to complete only a WU o_O

Edited: Radeon started now its first round of the day.

14. yadro

yadro Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280x
    My pc is not that fast but i gladly joined the guru3d team.

15. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I have found after a restart the program is more likely to find a work unit for you.

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    well all good will combined is about as good as the cost of a supercomputer of that computing power... and there's a lot of supercomputers out there... good spirits are outnumbered ;)