Idle BSODs on 3700x

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by ReD-EyeD, Mar 30, 2020.

1. ReD-EyeD

ReD-EyeD Guest

GPU:
    I'm in dire need of a solution or direction to what to do with my problem. Sorry if it's a long post, but I'm trying to do my best providing as much info as possible.

I'm getting random BSODs during idle or low load stuff like watching youtube or fast scrolling pages. It can happen randomly from a few times a day to once per three day.
    The system is: Ryzen 3700x, Asus tuf x470-plus gaming, RAM Kingston HyperX HX432C18FB2K2/16 32gb (https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX432C18FB2K2_16.pdf), Thermaltake Smart 750w 85+ gold, gtx 1070

Bsods range a lot, but most of them are IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE or DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER specifying ntoskrnl.exe, ntkrnlmp.exe or amdppm

What I already did:
    • Reinstalled Windows twice (one bsod happened during one of the installs)
    • Temps are never higher than 80 for cpu and 75 for gpu
    • Using the latest bios
    • Using the latest chipset drivers (tried both versions from AMD and from Asus sites)
    • Reinstalled and tried multiple versions of GPU drivers, used DDU
    • Played with ram voltages a bit
    • Calculated Ryzen RAM timings and tried them, instant bsod
    • Tried XMP off and on
    • Tried different RAM speeds
    • Updated and reinstalled different versions of network and sound cards
    • Ran chkdsk, sfc scan, driver verifier and other windows tools
    • Ran memtest86+ a few times overnight. 2 times no errors in 10 hours (at least 4 passes) and 1 time a small amount of errors on the 5th pass
    Here is the latest minidump: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RJZE2Y7-H3Daa6G1TnSFGke_VfJHTEZP

Feel-craft:
    Almost never crashes on load or during heavier games. Goes through Cinebench, RealBench and other lighter benchmarks.
    Prime95 shows error 5 seconds into the test saying this: FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4 Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file. and 2-3 threads stops doing the test. Don't know if it's connected or not.
    I may be wrong here, but somehow it felt more stable on 2133 ram than on the default, but still did bsod on idle on the next day. Default ram voltage is 1.2, but I tried going to 1.35 and it also felt more stable, but once again I'm not sure if it's true as bsods are very random in nature.

I don't know what to do now. I need a tech Dr. House to solve this. Please, ask questions if I missed something important to mention.

2. Jawnys

Jawnys Master Guru

GPU:
    asus tuf oc 3090
    You re ram isnt stable most likely if you bsod on idle, what die is this ram?

Maddness likes this.
  3. ReD-EyeD

ReD-EyeD Guest

GPU:
    According to thaiphoon burner it's this
    Manufacturer
    Micron Technology
    Die Density / Count
    8 Gb E-die (Z11B / 19 nm) / 1 die

Screenshot
    https://i.imgur.com/OJRjTLa.png

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  4. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    How do you set your ram timings? Only set the main timings leaving the rest for the bios to set? All the settings have a value that was input? If setting all, one suggestion is to follow the DRAM calculator suggestion for Micron E-Die but leave these two tertiary timings on auto: Trdwr and Twrrd. You should notice that those two timings when left on auto will set channels A and B with a different timing value. The Division 2 with DX12 and HDR running was the only game that would randomly crash. Playing with some voltages appeared to help. It was not till I returned to setting those two timings back at Auto did it finally stop crashing. Hopefully this will work for you as well.

5. ReD-EyeD

ReD-EyeD Guest

GPU:
    @Clouseau I think I did all the timings as it was in DRAM calculator for e-die, including the suggested voltages. It instantly bsoded for me on windows startup and corrupted the restore point so I didn't try to tweak it more as I'm fairly scared already. Right now I'm on everything default, but base ram speed is on 2133 (from 3200).

6. Jawnys

Jawnys Master Guru

GPU:
    asus tuf oc 3090
    Try leaving the procodt the cad bus on default, i have no experience with micron memory, i did stabalise hynix a and m die samsung d and b die but no micron

7. ReD-EyeD

ReD-EyeD Guest

GPU:
    Is there a safer way to test if it's not a memory problem or stabilize it with less steps? At this point I don't care about the performance this much so I rather have it on minimum safest possible option. I'm scared of tinkering the timings more as I'm far from being knowleadgable enough.

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Reset your BIOS to default settings, reboot then set the XMP value to 3200.
    Boot into OS and test those settings.
    From there, where exactly you want to go what speed want to achieve?

9. ReD-EyeD

ReD-EyeD Guest

GPU:
    XMP 3200 bsods, I tested it many times
    It's not about the speeds, I just want a stable system. Currently I'm even on 2133 manually with auto everything else and it also bsods tho I feel it's rarer.

10. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    have you tried a running with a single stick of RAM?

11. ReD-EyeD

ReD-EyeD Guest

GPU:
    I'm currently on one for a few hours. Testing how it goes. Too early to tell.

12. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    yeah, give it some time as it seems to be random. I'd say give it till Friday, maybe till end of the week.

13. ReD-EyeD

ReD-EyeD Guest

GPU:
    Should I run memtest86 too on separate planks or just using it normally for a few days?

14. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    won't hurt to memtest. If you're stable on one stick of ram for a few days, try the other stick on it's own. It could be as simple as a dodgy stick or ram or (worse) a dodgy ram slot on the motherboard.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Get memory qualified by your mainboard manufacturer, and if that crashes at the specs rated on their QVL tests, rma the cpu.

G13Homi likes this.

16. ReD-EyeD

ReD-EyeD Guest

GPU:
    So first stick bsoded 2 times with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION and SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION blaming ntoskrnl.exe and amdppm.sys

Trying out the second one

17. Jawnys

Jawnys Master Guru

GPU:
    asus tuf oc 3090
    it might sound stupid, but did you try just to re seat the cpu...

18. G13Homi

G13Homi Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    and update mobo bios.

Maddness likes this.
  19. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    OP stated from the beginning that the motherboard was updated to latest BIOS to date.

20. ReD-EyeD

ReD-EyeD Guest

GPU:
    No I haven't. Should I? It does seem like it won't help I agree.

Yeah, it's the latest one.

Did the memtest86+ overnight and 8 full passes showed no errors on this single stick.
    Then I loaded Windows and afk'ed for 10 minutes just to return to pc bsod showing IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blaming ntoskrnl.exe and ntfs.sys

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020