Microsoft prepares to remove the Classic Control Panel in Windows 10

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 30, 2020.

1. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    While we're on the topic, who's brilliant idea was it to make Media Player not able to play DVD's? That was a big winner!

anticupidon, fantaskarsef and Turanis like this.
  2. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    i think they will make it more "lite" because of the redondancy of some fonction with the "setup" menu and hide it...
    as they always do, because there is some legacy setting that are VERY usefull in entreprise.

3. c0rrupt

c0rrupt Guest

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 480
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  4. patteSatan

patteSatan Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 6700xt
    I use the old cp, and (.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}), only use the new settings for updates.

5. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    BetA likes this.
  6. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    It's just being hidden, nothing fancy. Sheesh.

7. anub1s18

anub1s18 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX2070S /WC
    yep MPC or VLC think i gave windows media player a shot on windows XP, it failed.
    accidental opened it in vista and was annoyed every step of the way.

playing dvd was a neat trick back in the day but other then that i've always found it an abomination preferring mpc/vlc and winamp (now spotify).

do hope they allow for a re-enabling of the old CP so i don't need to pay...probably stardock to restore it >.<
    the new settings menu is oke but certain things i just cannot find in there for the life of me, where in the old CP i'm where i need to be within 5 seconds >.<

8. Vtech

Vtech Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    Just try joining a domain network with the "Settings" thing, or configure newer versions of Outlook without the control panel, maybe its doable but a lot easier and faster in Control Panel.

9. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    We all know who is the fault: mobile-like XML interfaces! Death to mobile-first developers!

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  10. TieSKey

TieSKey Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    Just changing screen settings is a pain in the ass.... U have to pick the clone/extend options from a damn drop down.... and chances are u can't see the screen drawing after scrolling to reach that combo so u have to guess which screen was 1, 2 o 3.....

Don't get me wrong, the classic CP has it's problems too as it was designed for 720p and a lot of windows are not even resizeable, but heck, still better than the win 8/10 crap.

11. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Oh damn, hope it doesn't lead to less control over the system.

12. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Actually, this is old news...Microsoft has been deprecating CTRL PNL features for years in Win10--one feature at a time. Very slowly. I've still go my cp because I've kept it around deliberately, but all of the features in the cp will be emulated or bettered in Win10 Settings--I use a bunch of things in settings and rarely use cp anymore at all. Perhaps Microsoft is getting close to having deprecated them all by that build. I'm on v1909 18363.752 atm.

nick0323 likes this.
  13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  14. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
  15. butjer1010

butjer1010 Active Member

GPU:
    RX6900XT Toxic EE
    I just hope someone from MS is watching this forum.....Please don't do that!!!!!! P L E A S E! In every new version of windows they remove something that was good.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    The people at Microsoft probably don't even know what those letters mean.

17. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    This, but I doubt that'll be the case.

BLEH! likes this.
  18. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    The best thing about the modern one is you can use Windows search to find whatever setting you want. The bad is that you cannot have more than one window of the settings app open at a time! Also if you have the icon in taskbar, you cannot pin settings to it and access them by right clicking the icon. Whaaaat?! Otherwise I find it actually little easier to find settings in the modern design, although I sometimes try to find them with the old logic which doesn't apply anymore. Get used to it!

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The Settings BS is about the least user-friendly "feature" of Windows......

It's my firm belief that MS is trying to take as much control away from home users as they believe they can get away with.

MS wants you to buy the DVD player app from the Windows store for $14.99.....

MS had to pay for a license to play DVDs....so to increase their profits, they let that license go. With the DVD player app, they only pay per app sale and not per Windows sale.

That's a matter of opinion....

DLD likes this.
  20. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Precisely. People, when will you finally realize that m$'s "developers" spend, like, 99.99% of their working hours pondering over ONE thing: how to take away as much control from users as it is possible.
    Their policy is, was and will be but one: WE (m$) are in charge here, WE control; you (users/customers) are going to use it the way WE want it to be used. Try to realize that m$ is the part of a highly militarized establishment that uses the software as yet another tool for over-watching/scrutinizing and controlling the citizens.

Biały Wilk likes this.