Microsoft prepares to remove the Classic Control Panel in Windows 10

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    ZXRaziel likes this.
  2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Well that's a bunch of bullshit.

Neo Cyrus, Dragam1337, 386SX and 10 others like this.
  3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    "The next feature update for the 2004 version of Windows 10 will be released this fall".

I had no idea W10 was this old. :p

jbscotchman likes this.
  4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    FFS, stop removing features that we been using since freaking forever.
    Remove your bloatware plz. ty.

5. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    I believe it was 2015

6. EJocys

EJocys Guest

GPU:
    nVidia 1070
    Microsoft had the chance to have two sizes for the same Control Panel i.e. one for touch screen and one for desktop users. Unfortunately, we have 3 different views now: Windows 10 CP, Category, Large/Small icons. Usually, stuff like this happens when someone new comes to the team with little clue about existing features of the product, then immediately starts to duplicate functionality instead of improving it. Now, as a result, they have to remove feature, which is liked by many. Microsoft management made a lot of stupid decisions with Windows 8 and these are consequences.

Duke Nil likes this.
  7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Well, more third party software to enable it or make it as main feature.
    Many will complain, many will just accept it and the world has more important things to worry about.
    As for admins, for sure they will be pissed off, but nothing that a powershell or command line wouldn't solve.
    As for common user, how often they opened it? And if they did, they will find a way to configure their settings.

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I use the control panel... like.. a lot.. so.. wtf.

386SX, lmimmfn, Duke Nil and 7 others like this.
  9. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    i dont use it at all

10. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    I use legacy control panel all the time. Programs and Features just works better than 'apps and features'. Same goes for devices and printers legacy. And why do i have this feeling that by removing control panel, its going to break a lot of older drivers which are designed to use that interface? Aren't administrative tools all considered part of Control Panel? There doesn't seem to be an updated UI version of most of those programs. Or is the plan to restrict as much as they can kinda like how Apple does things.

Whoever came up with this idea needs a swift kick in the nuts.

sof006, olymind1, user1 and 8 others like this.

11. Every Windows user still uses the Control Panel. Everyone plays video games. Sometimes people begrudgingly mention they play games; around peers or hot women, we still play though. We still use that ole' rust bucket of a Control Panel. We love it' There's nothing wrong with it MS, take a clue from Nvidia, their Control Panel has worked great for years as well too...

@Stormyandcold
    #pronvidiacomments

Prince Valiant and jbscotchman like this.
  12. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    As long as all the setting options are migrated in to Settings, fine!

13. P.O.N.

P.O.N. Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 4080
    Oh, no!

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Many CP functions were already integrated into the windows settings, so it was already becoming superfluous. I presume all the remaining functions will be integrated by the time they discontinue it. Plus you have some functions in the start menu as well.

15. loracle

loracle Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    I find the classic control panel more clear and useful than the new one, and i agree with the one who said that they better remove blotwares, and also suggest to stop adding useless features.

olymind1, fantaskarsef and Order_66 like this.

16. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    meh, surprised people still use it when everything is accessible from pressing the windows key and typing in the first couple of letters.

Carfax likes this.
  17. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Well,its M$$$,its Windows 10 after all. :D
    (could be a joke,1st april joke.)
    Who is in charge there,give them some regards.

They have nothing to do these days,so "hey,lets do something stupid and outrageous."

Order_66 likes this.
  18. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    This is really bad.
    The Settings interface is such a mess, that's almost impossible to find what you are looking for.
    Control Panel wasn't perfect, but at least we got used to it and know were things are.

19. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    The new control panel replacement in windows 10 never caught on because it was an attempt to radically depart from something that was already really good.

One of the first things I do when I install windows is to pin the classic control panel to the task bar in large icons mode.

The new way MS wants you to use the same functionality is one function at a time. You want to check for updates in one window and then adjust something else in another? Sorry buddy, you get one window and it shows you the last thing you were doing.

Seriously, go to settings and then check for updates. Now right click the desktop and select display properties. Who the was the genius that decided "don't let that be 2 different windows, force those 2 functions to use the same window." 64 core/128 thread CPUs are available but lets keep multitasking to a minimum.

20. C-Power

C-Power Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 White
    Yip, same here - new CP is cumbersome IMHO, and you need to go through whatever weird routes to get to the deeper stuff.

Not sure why they are removing it, just leave the old CP where it is for those who've been using it forever (usually the more tech savvy amongst us :D)

Order_66 and Prince Valiant like this.