General VR game thread

Discussion in '3D Stereo and VR Gaming Section' started by SSJBillClinton, Jan 24, 2020.

1. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    As there's not currently enough "big hitter" VR games out there, thought a thread here for whatever people have been playing/small indie releases would be a good idea.

Anyone play the new Walking Dead game? Feels like BONEWORKS, Walking Dead, and then Alyx (hopefully, although I can't see Valve doing worse than either of these other companies :p) are the true next gen of VR games. IT'S HAPPENINNNNNGGGG.

Walking Dead is fantastic so far, full finger tracking, looks gorgeous, runs great on Index on ultra settings at 120Hz with minimal reprojection, and everything feels satisfying to do because of the physics collisions with the environment/characters. Very spooky, but full of cool little effects. I went into a hallway and was talking to my partner about how nice it looked, then noticed my voice echoing in the hallway ingame! Such a cool little touch that improves immersion so much. I put a cigarette in my mouth, lit it and tried blowing to see if smoke would come out but no luck though.

Otherwise, can't wait to go back and play more! Haven't felt like this since BONEWORKS!

E: Stream of my first session with Walking Dead after the intro, audio a bit quiet but if you want to see what it looks like, here it is!

Sorry if this should go in the regular games section!​

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    Undying likes this.
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Seen a few Acer windows mixed reality headsets for 200$, anyone have any experience with those? Heard cheap plastic, lcd screen, non replacable joysticks, non usb chargable battery, narrow fov isnt going in its favor...

3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Is you can get a WMR headset cheap then grab one, i still have my Dell VR visor, and it does what it says on the tin, vr controllers take 4 batteries but i bought a pack of 8 rechargeable and while i used 4, the other 4 were on recharge.......the acer one you mentioned have a fov of 95, but some like the Dell go up to 110, so if you were ever going to grab a wmr hmd i would check the 110 degrees versions.

Pros for me at the time...
    Plug and play with W10, it is that easy.
    They work great with steamvr stuff.
    No external sensors assuming you don't want them.
    1440x1440 per eye res( valve index has 1440x1600)
    No god rays.
    Will run on a slightly lower spec pc, gtx1050ti.

Cons for me....
    Lcd panels...(but saying that if you have never used a oled vr hmd then you probably won't be aware of any difference).
    No built in headphones(but you can use your own, bit i prefer built in ones)
    No manual ipd.
    Controllers could be a bit more sturdy.

Undying likes this.
  4. SSJBillClinton

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    Played some more Walking Dead, still enjoying it! After a bit, the bell rings and the environment gets filled with zombies, makes getting back to safety pretty tense when you run out of stamina with 5 zombies shamble-running after you, they're pretty gruesome up close too which makes it worse.

The AI is a bit dumb, I went into a house with friendly NPCs and while looting dropped some stuff on the floor, EVERY NPC in the house was going "WHO'S THERE HUH WHAT'S THAT" and would be drawn to me, but none of them actually cared it was me lol. Also stabbed a human enemy in the face and shot 3 in the head, obviously their friends who were about 25ft away in clear view didn't care even though the guns are loud.

Game is great and I'm loving it either way though!

XP-200 and mike2299 like this.

5. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Yeah when a VR game is done right it really does hit al the right buttons, I recently bought Borderlands 2 VR on the PS4 pro and i just can't stop playing it, being inside the game really does make a complete difference, no doubt about it VR can completly change any game via VR, amazing.

This one is on my list for some point, i just need to get through the ones i have at present. lol

6. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    So i preordered the Valve Index yesterday. It says due to high demand it will be more than 8 weeks before arrival.

Can't wait! :)

eGGroLLiO and XP-200 like this.
  7. SSJBillClinton

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    Get hype! Have you got a headset already or is this a new one for you?

8. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I got an Index HMD yesterday just when it went up, says "processing" so who knows what the ETA for me is as it's already taken the money.

Be a good upgrade from the vive I have now. Higher resolution, move fov, built in audio and built in deluxe headstrap (just have the default elastic on vive).

Got the 24th off to play alyx regardless of what headset i'll be using.

eGGroLLiO and DocStr4ngelove like this.
  9. SSJBillClinton

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    Did you already have Index controllers or are those coming too?

10. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    No interest in them at the moment until the issues with the analogue stick drifting is fixed, waiting on seeing if the latest batch has that corrected. Maybe next year i'll get them.

As cool as finger tracking and all that is, no games actually need it, unlike the actually useful upgrades to vive headset.

11. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Complete new one.

12. SSJBillClinton

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    Oh! I did actually have to RMA my first controllers recently and made a post on Reddit about it, they're definitely much much better now and I've listed all the improvements I've noticed.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/feo4il/rmad_controllers_vs_first_wave_controllers/

Exciting to jump into premium VR with a (most likely) kick ass game to play right off the bat, hope you enjoy it and let us know how you get on.

DocStr4ngelove likes this.
  13. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Oh i was able to test the Vive for about 2 afternoons before my brother got back from holidays and i had to hand it all over lol. :D

I loved the 3D effect and sometimes caught myself reacting to something as if it was real. Kinda weird. One time right at the beginning i said out loud 'ok this is not real calm down'. xD

SSJBillClinton likes this.
  14. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Ah yeah, I saw that earlier, add it to the list of posts i've seen detailing why not to get one yet.

I'll wait and see if all these RMA'd controllers start doing the same.

SSJBillClinton likes this.
  15. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Valve index is night and day compared to vive. Pixel pitch and screen door effect is so much better, regardless of resolution you're running.

Built in off ear audio, proper headstrap, it's pretty good.

Also, Half Life Alyx is up for pre load on friday.

https://twitter.com/valvesoftware/status/1240053356745244674

SSJBillClinton and eGGroLLiO like this.

16. mike2299

mike2299 Member

GPU:
    nVidia
    Post your impressions of Alyx, if you manage to play it. I will get it in few weeks, too much work right now at my hospital.

17. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I got sick of waiting for the Valve knuckles to come back into stock, so i actually grabbed a 64 gig Oculus Quest this week to replace my aging Cv1, which came into limited stock out of the blue and on sale for £340 via Currys here in the UK, they lasted 20 mins before all stock was gone, so now just waiting for delivery which could be sometime next week if i am lucky........so i have put off playing all VR until it arrives and with the PC link cable i am hoping this will become my goto PC steam vr hmd, so fingers crossed.

18. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Stick your CV1 on eBay mate, mine sold yesterday for £360 (2 controllers and 2 sensors). That's more than what I paid for it more than 2 years ago.

XP-200 likes this.
  19. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^I will have to keep it as the Quest never came as Currys cancelled the order due to selling stock they never had, and it took them over 2 week to inform me, and i only got a refund 5 days ago......so i will keep it and the Vive for 2020 and wait and see what happens next year.

But nice return on that CV1.

20. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Yeah, people are paying crazy money for gear these days. I'm happy with my Rift S right now and am looking forward to see what the "next gen" brings.

Anyone tried GTA V in VR btw? The latest VR mod is pretty good, apparently. I'm thinking it would be pretty good fun just to drive around and fly around the city.