Game stuttering in HP Laptop

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MDThomas, Mar 26, 2020.

1. MDThomas

MDThomas Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 Ti / 11.9
    I recently purchased an new HP "gaming" laptop and while playing Milestone's "Supercross 3" game, I noticed a pretty severe stutter while playing - very annoying. I am using a cooling pad so it doesn't seem to be getting more than warm while playing. I'm really new to all this so can anyone assist me with dealing with the stutter?

The video card I'm using is INVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti. Task Manager says it has 11.9 GB memory. If any other info is needed please let me know.

Thanks so much!
    Mike

2. Rapyer

Rapyer Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    how much ram does your laptop have?

when you check taskbar memory tab, does it say 12gb in use ? how much is cached?

3. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    The recommended GPU for that game, minimum, is a GTX 760. That GPU is only slightly slower than a 1050 Ti.
    Also, seeing that your using a laptop variant, it's pretty likely you're cutting it very close for that game.
    Try lowering all graphics settings as low as they can go. Try setting your resolution to 720p.

4. MDThomas

MDThomas Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 Ti / 11.9
    My reply…….

Ram is 16GB.

While the game is running (not in-game playing), task manager shows:

Intel graphics utilization = 39-41 percent; Shared GPU memory = 0.4/7.9 GB; GPU memory = 0.7/11.9 GB

GTX 1050 Ti utilization = 46-52 percent; Dedicated ram = 0.6/4.0 GB; GPU memory = 0.7/11.9 GB; Shared GPU memory = 0.0/7.9 GB

Hope that helps. :)

5. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080S SHUNT MOD
    Try using throttlestop and:
    Undervolt your laptop, increase Power limits for cpu
    Use speedshift at 0 instead of using speedstep
    Set iccmax to highest value in all option that are avalible.
    Maybe igpu is holding you as it is throttling for sure. If you have Optimus even If you are using Nvidia everything goes through igpu
    HP Laptops are throttled bitches in so many ways that you cant if think of

6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I would start with deleting what ever bloat you may be running in the background. Go through the installed programs and delete all of those you are not using.

Krzyslaw likes this.
  7. MDThomas

MDThomas Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 Ti / 11.9

I downloaded throttlestop and when launching it, it displayed the message "CPU is not supported" and wouldn't open. Anything else I can try to deal with throttling?

Thanks again!
    mike

8. unclewebb

unclewebb Guest

GPU:
    VAPOR-X HD5770 1GB
  9. MDThomas

MDThomas Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 Ti / 11.9
    unclewebb - Must have been just the download. Tried it again and it works now. I'll get back and let you know how things go. Thanks again!

10. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Within the game, go to the Video Options menu.
    Change the In Window option to Yes.
    Choose the Refresh Rate to be at 60 frames.
    Otherwise, let it be Dynamic in which case it will depend on your monitor.
    Turn Vsync ON.
    -------------------------------------
    also may be there's (NON -ESSENTIAL) apps running in the background such as......

pc optimizing tools, hdd/ssd defrag tools

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020

11. MDThomas

MDThomas Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 Ti / 11.9
    Krzyslaw: Where do I find iccmax? Also, do I make any changes to igpu, and if so, are they effected by changes I made to CPU, CPU Cache and GPU? Thanks!

12. unclewebb

unclewebb Guest

GPU:
    VAPOR-X HD5770 1GB
    Press the ThrottleStop FIVR button and look in the middle column towards the bottom for the IccMax adjuster.

When troubleshooting, I would turn on the Log File option in ThrottleStop and then go play a game. When you are done, exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log file. It will be stored in your ThrottleStop / Logs directory with today's date in the file name. If you would like some suggestions, attach your log file and some screenshots of how you have ThrottleStop setup to your next post.

The stutter might be GPU related but it is a good idea to make sure your CPU is running at its rated speed. Some gaming laptops have some major throttling issues. If that checks out OK, then you can try logging your GPU speed with something like GPU-Z.

13. MDThomas

MDThomas Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 Ti / 11.9

--------------------------------------

unclewebb: I have logged Throttlestop while in game for about an 30 minutes or so. I attached screen shots of my settings. Please let me know what else I can do to drop the temps. This is also while I'm running a cooling pad under the laptop. The log file shows some peaks as high as 95C.

How do I upload the log file? Keeps saying the extension is not supported and it's just a text file (txt).

Thanks so much for your help - Mike

Attached Files:

14. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080S SHUNT MOD
    Click instal near disable and lock turbo power limits and then check it

In FIVR
    Also apply the same amount of UV for igpu unslice as without that your IGPU UV will be ignored.
    Move ALL ICCMAX values to highest values.

Uncheck Speedstep (You are using speedshift) and Uncheck BDPROCHOT in main window.

Run 1024MB Throttlestop test bench and show us limit reason tab

BTW. Repast your lap with some decent paste like kryonaut or phobye nanogrease extreme and repad it with for example GELID Gp extreme

This temps are way to high.

15. MDThomas

MDThomas Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 Ti / 11.9
    -----------------------------------

NOTE: All my settings are ONLY under the Game profile.

In the FIVR page...
    - When I clicked Install it said to install the 'RwDrv.sys' file in the Throttlestop folder (which I did) and then to check the box for 'disable and lock turbo power limits' (which I also did). Let me know if I wasn't supposed to check that box.
    - Offset Voltage: CPU Core =-80.1 (Same for CPU Cache, Intel GPU and iGPU Unslice
    - IccMax is set to highest value (255.75) for CPU Core, CPU Cache and Intel GPU . iGPU Unslice (grayed out)
    Main Page:
    - Unchecked Speedstep and BDPROCHOT

Note sure how to do this: Repast your lap with some decent paste like kryonaut or phobye nanogrease extreme and repad it with for example GELID Gp extreme

Attached are the results from the bench test

Thanks so much for helping!
    mike

Attached Files:

16. MDThomas

MDThomas Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 Ti / 11.9

Adding update...

I did play in game for about 15 minutes. The log still shows spikes of 95-96C.

17. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080S SHUNT MOD
    Ok

High temp is probably due to bad factory paste and pad job. YOU need to do The job with decent paste and pads.

But your limit reason tab Light like christmas tree.
    Under TPL increase Power limits and Time windows for cpu. Also please disable software guard SGX in bios.
    I was dealing with friend HP lap with i7 8265u and after disabling sgx Throttlestop did its Magic.
    Despite The temps are being high we need to deal with throttling reasons.
    Until you do a reapste you can lower your turbo to lets say 3.6 on all cores to keep temps lower.
    Also play with voltage curve in msi afterburner and cap it for example at 0.9V-0.95v it will lower your temps on gpu with still good performance. Bdprochot is might be a signal that your gpu have to high temp and is samsung sięgnął to limit cpu. Of course you can still oc your gpu core and memory but cap it at lower voltage ( flat line after 0.9V in curve editor in afterburner)

18. MDThomas

MDThomas Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 Ti / 11.9
    ----------------------

Can't tell you how grateful I am that you're helping me. However, since I'm really new to all this, can you possible walk me through these steps...

1. Under TPL increase Power limits and Time windows for cpu.
    2. Also please disable software guard SGX in bios. (I realize I might find something on this in Youtube)
    3. Lower your turbo to lets say 3.6 on all cores to keep temps lower
    4. Also play with voltage curve in msi afterburner and cap it for example at 0.9V-0.95v

I saw a video on replacing the thermal paste and they suggested "Thermal Grizzly". Would this be your suggestion or something else? Also, I haven't seen anything on "repading" only repasting. Do I do both or just either/or?

Thanks again SO much!
    mike

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020