NVAPI_Setting_Not_Found error while using Nvidia Profile Inspector

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Phil Tuncap, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Phil Tuncap

Phil Tuncap Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 4096mb
    I've never seen this issue before, until just now, with a clean install of win10 and the latest geforce driver

[​IMG]

Anyone familiar with this or DRS or whatnot?

Edit: googled and found out DRS is Driver Settings, and then I saw a link:

https://developer.nvidia.com/nvapi

Do I need to download that? I don't remmeber if I did before or not, but it's been quite a while since I've started from a clean install of windows.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no, but it looks like your DRS folder is missing

3. Phil Tuncap

GPU:
    GTX 970 4096mb
    err hmm odd.

Well, I did find this just now:
    [​IMG]
    I guess I can try reinstalling the drivers and whatnot?

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    delete the folder, open nvcpl and click restore defaults on the profiles list.

5. Phil Tuncap

GPU:
    GTX 970 4096mb
    Hmm, access denied

6. Phil Tuncap

GPU:
    GTX 970 4096mb
    Oh jeez, the control panel is now considered a Windows App? I hate being restricted when i'm the user/admin

7. Phil Tuncap

GPU:
    GTX 970 4096mb
    Having issues trying to gain control, I had problems with ownership before I formatted/reinstalled windows, but I had fixed it somehow, forcing ownership of my whole drive, I'd have to look in my history to see what I did. I tried going to the Security tab of the WindowsApps folder and changing ownership from TrustedInstaller to me, and ran into the same thing I remember running into last time, a lot of things "failed" to enumerate

8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    If you're already fudging around with permission issues, I'd do clean install. Also, if you do not want the DCH driver which uses the Windows Store to download the the NVCPL, use the Standard driver which you can download here. https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us It contains the NVCP.

9. Phil Tuncap

GPU:
    GTX 970 4096mb
    I just did a clean install lol that's what I don't understand. and it can download from the window store it's fine, I've just never had an issue where I couldn't change settings in Profile Inspector, or restore default settings in the nvcpl

10. Phil Tuncap

GPU:
    GTX 970 4096mb
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020

11. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    What modifications did you make from a default install?

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Can you list the security tab for the drs folder properties?

I've never known it to be anything other than Everyone.

13. Phil Tuncap

GPU:
    GTX 970 4096mb
    Once I was able to get the setup image to boot from my phone, nothing, just regular windows 10 64bit Pro. I wasn't able to activate it during install because of no internet, don't think that would have anything to do with it tho, it's activated now..

I would if it was there lol, it hasn't been replaced since I deleted it when you mentioned earlier to

14. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    "Having issues trying to gain control, I had problems with ownership before I formatted/reinstalled windows, but I had fixed it somehow, forcing ownership of my whole drive, I'd have to look in my history to see what I did. I tried going to the Security tab of the WindowsApps folder and changing ownership from TrustedInstaller to me, and ran into the same thing I remember running into last time, a lot of things "failed" to enumerate"

If you did not format your drive prior, there's pretty much only one way to end up with the same permission issues on a new OS install you had on the old one: you did an in place install over an existing installation.

15. Phil Tuncap

GPU:
    GTX 970 4096mb
    The same permission issues but not involving the nvcpl, and that issue was taken care of a while back. And if I did an install over an existing one, i wouldn't have a need to boot the win install from my phone ;p I did it on a seperate drive from where the other windows was, then I formatted that drive after the new windows was installed. Then because it was still showing up when I boot, I went into bcdedit and deleted the identifier for the windows that wasn't there anymore

16. Phil Tuncap

GPU:
    GTX 970 4096mb
    I just tried a 'takeown /f c:\ /r /d y' after rebooting to command prompt, rebooted windows, and tried restoring nvcpl to default settings, still access denied.

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    hmm, the drs folder is definitely the location the dch cpl uses for game and most global settings.

18. Phil Tuncap

GPU:
    GTX 970 4096mb
    Ok so not sure why I, and in my defense yall didn't mention it either, didn't think of just uninstalling the control panel and reinstalling it from the store lol...that fixed whatever permission issue was going on. Unfortunately I didn't do that until I did a system restore which took me back 2 days ago to see if that did anything, it didn't. But now I'm getting little errors here and there with video drivers, directx, some things not working right, so I'm just going to wipe and reinstall here in a bit. I do have 1 question that I've posted in a couple places, just waiting on an answer so I can start formatting/installing..i'll just copy/paste it:

I'm creating a partition so I can have the windows 10 install on-demand when I need it, not sure why I didn't think of this before. The question of the allocation unit size popped up in my head when I was getting ready to create the partition. Since the number and size of files on it will always the same, if I take the size on disk (4,285,284,352‬ bytes), divide that by the number of files (944), would that be the optimal allocation unit size? (4,539,496 bytes, but the max option is 2M)

19. Kiuti

Kiuti Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia
    This probably has been solved by now, but I decided to create an account because I was having this same problem and couldn't find a solution anywhere on the internet.
    For me, I was getting this exact message with my FPS when I tried changing it. Turns out I had to get an updated version of Nivida Profile Inspector.

This is the one I installed that worked for me: https://github.com/Orbmu2k/nvidiaProfileInspector/releases/tag/2.3.0.13