Half-Life: Alyx (VR)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by RzrTrek, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah.
    There's not enough wide spread interest in it to make it a solid, "must have" feature going forward. Which makes it a risky business for a lot of studios.

Valve have actually upset a lot of HL fans by basically trying to force their new VR tech on players with their "You want the next Half-Life installment? Better buy a VR" tactic.
    And, while there are a LOT of people who rushed out and bought one, there were also a lot of people that pretty much said "Guess I don't need HL then"

And, the recent gameplay clips have been just as divisive.
    Some think it looks great, others... sluggish, clunky and boring. It doesn't help that they demoed it using teleport movement which is a big turn off for a lot of people.
    Also, the problem with watching someone else's VR footage is that it looks jittery and unnatural.

Also, the new voice actress for Alyx sounds like crap. Sorry... but, do not like her at all.

2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Link for this please, would like to try

3. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    Yeah just finished trying them out, the City 17 one is alright, but the standout is easilly the lab environment because of all the little details. I never really thought about the scale of the Citadel before, it's huuuuuuge. The detail is better than anything else I've seen in VR and it's only a home environment! They also seem to run great at 144Hz, I can only hope the game runs as well!

As a side note, I think they improved the finger tracking since I last used home (usually just boot to the lightweight empty space), it's basically flawless now. Really impressed, it's all made me even more excited to play on March 23rd!

XP-200 likes this.
  4. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400

SSJBillClinton and scatman839 like this.

5. SSJBillClinton

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    Dang, just found out the scenes in-game are gonna be even higher fidelity than the SteamVR home environments. Sort of half expected it, but nice to have confirmation. I just know the attention to detail is going to be incredible.

Also found some "3Dxp" branded gpus in containers in the lab.

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  6. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^Yeah Valve stated these preview rooms were not the final product and that it would have even higher visual fidelity. :)

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  7. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Game now available for preload

It's 48gb preload and a 67gb install.

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  8. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Not sure if you guys saw this a couple days ago, Gabe speaks!

XP-200 and SSJBillClinton like this.
  9. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^^I hope this make so much money that they add VR support to HL2 at some point as that would be amazing, so glad they are embracing VR as it is such a unique gaming experience, but it's just a shame there is nothing to compare VR with to sell it, that is VRs one weakness, unless someone actually puts on VR HMD they will never understand what makes VR a game changer.

eGGroLLiO and scatman839 like this.
  10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I wonder if Half-Life: Alyx will have speed runs?

People jumping on their desk to do gravity glitches xD

11. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    You mean, speed teleports? All you do ingame is zip about via button press. :p

12. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Crashing for me with purple checkerboard textures.

13. SSJBillClinton

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    Damn, this game is really cool. Opening 2-ish hours are horrory-slow, and then you start fighting combine and it gets more actiony. If anyone wants to see how it looks I streamed the first couple hours here.

Will let you know how it goes, but so far very impressed with all the attention to detail.

14. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Yeah its a really good game so far, liking it a lot.

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  15. The Sleeper

The Sleeper Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 FE
    This game makes me real happy about my Valve Index purchase :) ... now i finally can see why VR is the future of gaming ... Wow ... just Wow :D

SSJBillClinton and eGGroLLiO like this.

16. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Just watched a bit ... are you really supposed to carry a dead rat around? :D

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  17. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    @1:40 took me three attempts how to figure out how to get past there lol

solution sparked my mind when i saw you blow yourself up just like id done twice

18. Chess

Chess Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    I've been watching the launch on Tyler McVickers channel on Twitch.
    Looks very nice, can't wait. Will be some months till I can play it at least, though.
    I think this game will launch VR for real.

Also, Tyler is rediculous twitch host. Man, what a child. It's annoying since he's such a walking encyclopedia in Valve related info.
    The YT video's are fine and informative, but the streams are full of giggles, childish repeating of low-level humor in hope repeating will make the joke better, bitching about the chat and messing around in game instead of just getting to the point.
    You'd think you want to show people the game instead of spending a few minutes of smashing plates, beerbottles and mugs like it's HL2 launch all over again.
    Hearing him calling every ugly enemy 'dad' in stream because he has dad issues ( seriously ) is getting old as well. So unprofessional.

/rant.

19. SSJBillClinton

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    I thought that's why Alyx was a fan favourite? Just trying to be lore friendly!

It's this kind of thing that makes me know I'm in for a treat - being given environmental puzzles just like the old games. Lovely.

20. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    The gravity gloves in this game for remote pick ups is really good and intuitive.

Shooting is a bit messed up for lefties cause it just flips your controls, cant move and shoot with the left controller, when you move to left gun right controller is move

eGGroLLiO likes this.