DOOM Eternal

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Visually the game has some good graphics but it is clear it sacrifices a lot for hitting that 60 FPS target especially on consoles where even the XBox One X falls at times with dynamic resolution scaling kicking in hard to keep framerate up though it maintains near 2560x1440 levels due to it's stronger hardware although from what I've read even this console goes down to 1920x1080 at times using a mix of v.high/ultra settings comparably to how it'd look on PC.

Playing the game and comparing to say Wolfenstein or even DOOM 2016 this sacrifice for performance is noticeable in how most areas are clean and uncluttered much of the design coming from the walls and floors aided by vast but less complex vistas and occasional glimpses into later parts of a level which also seem to be much larger now overall which might play into scaling visual detail down a bit.

Monster detail is nice as ever though as is the few NPC you come across though the color palette is a bit in-between early DOOM 2016 and later DOOM 2016 brightening it up a bit so some enemies like the hell knights might look a bit drab by design.
    Liking the new Mancubus designs although a lot of others are close or small tweaks or even the same asset though they kept what matters and there is still ass to be kicked. :D

[​IMG]

(Even pre-release someone compared and checked apparently it was quite a important detail and it was indeed preserved.)

Well maybe not sacrifices but they go for very clean very uncluttered designs for levels even if it also favors the arena style gameplay encounters and then some of the exploratory areas and in-between bits can have some detailing to them plus the Flying Mancave that is the DOOM Fortress hub area. :p (DOOM cave?)

EDIT: Visually distinct as they are a toggle for less colorful pickups would have been neat but eh it does follow the designs in DOOM 1 and DOOM 2 as well for these classics so I can't say much.
    (Some of them transition over almost unchanged also even if a bit bigger and more glowy.)

BIG HUGE weapon models would be a nice addition to the size and scale in the options menu too but that's a video game standard and even in this game it's not the biggest most obstructive weapon models either and centering can be used to somewhat mitigate it.

EDIT: I suck at the platforming too and it seems it's not just for the hell levels thematically fitting as it would be but the swing bars and wall climbing pops up here and there throughout the game.

EDIT: Having fun though platforming hell aside, gameplay loop for collecting glory kills and chainsaw bits and using fire plus the weapon roles and various thoughts for enemies and weapon usage is a thing but it's not that bad once some familiarity kicks in for how it's supposed to go and you get into the game more. :D

Music and the fast pace really helps too ha ha.
    (And this post is a messy collection of random thoughts now.)

Solid shooter, maybe not game of the year though maybe FPS of the year we'll see and it is nice to not be waiting on patches or some GAAS routine of getting some nice improvements or standard quality of life / gaming features implemented. :)

EDIT: Runs well has excellent customization features (Several of which really should be standard.) and there's less reliance on slower cover based progression although this game does up the cinematics and cutscenes a bit even going for a third person presentation unlike 2016 and smaller cutscenes even pop up showing what should be fairly clear "Go Here." type transitions but it's common enough in other games much as I'm not fond of it.

It's an arena with two exits for which the player came into it through one of them it kinda shouldn't be possible to get lost or disoriented plus the clean layout and minimal clutter also makes it very obvious where to go, I would think at least.
    (Even combined with glow and item trails at that, maybe something a bit in-between the playtesters and actual players needs would be a better match or customizing these helpers? :D )

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  2. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080 Ti
    Doom 2016 had a console command for that which could be unlocked (hands_fovscale), hopefully modders will do the same for this game.

EDIT: actually the console has already been unlocked with cheat engine:

https://fearlessrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?t=11889

I don't have the game yet but if anyone wanna give it a try with the commands unlocked could you try this command:

g_showhud 0

And see if it disables the hitmarkers?

JonasBeckman likes this.
  3. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    iv finished it this morning.. it was a long night. its been a long time since i couldn't leave a game
    and wanted to burn my eyes all night on it. i thought Black Mesa was nostalgic.. well.. Eternal was even more.

im going to replay it next weekend i guess on hardest difficulty. quick mini-review ( no spoilers ):

-difficulty is top notch. reminds me Unreal Tournament ( 1999 ) on the hardest difficulties.
    -frames\graphics\sound\music - everything was so solid and stable ( 1070GTX \ 1080P ).
    -bosses were a treat.
    -loved the level design.
    -game is not short, it's +- same length as Black Mesa that i played like few weeks ago.
    -atmosphere is FAR better than DOOM 2016. by miles.

clean 9.5\10 for me. nothing else to add here.
    worth full price, time, replaying it. turn up your speakers and enjoy.

Carfax, XenthorX, Archvile82 and 2 others like this.
  4. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I've been using hands_show and r_skipgui for UI elements and the hand models, but there is a lot of cvars and I have only sifted through some of it. :)
    Taking screenshots with 33% being a large weapon model would be a little bit cumbersome so thankfully that command still existed.
    (skipgui or skipguis does also remove other UI effects and screen elements in the game itself but there might be more r_ or g_ or p_ cvars for more fine tuned customization.)

And that's just for the hands_ related ones though I can see the fov one is a scale command already defaulting to 0 but perhaps it can be of use. :)
    hands_fovScale "0"

This one was a fun little discovery too probably useless but still there.

The game has a photo mode but it won't work during cutscenes timescale also slows down the very engine (Including the framerate.) and you have to finish the level once first plus it's hard bound to Right Alt though if I can find the command I might be able to use a bind to change that.

Console unlocker Cheat Engine table also removed restrictions on bind cvars to some degree so exec test.cfg with test.cfg containing Bind F2 Toggle Hands_Show and Bind F3 Toggle R_SkipGUI works. :)
    Only poked around a bit for now, clearing the maps and if I find something I take a few snaps but the photo mode itself I've only used a bit although combined with noclip you can move around the camera restrictions although imperfectly.

EDIT:

g_setting_photomode
    g_allowphotomode

Maybe forcing it would work without the mission replay criteria. :D

EDIT: Ah and it's PM_ for specific settings, neat!

pm_photoModeMaxDist
    the max distance we can deviate from the initial place in photo mode {{ units = m }}

For one of them, default value appears to be 95.25
    (Though this is also used by the Player Model cvars.)

Susahamat likes this.

5. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080 Ti
    In DOOM 2016 the default value is 0, from 0.7 and above it extends the model further out.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  6. Arabaldo

Arabaldo Active Member

GPU:
    1070Ti
    Anyone else have this problem? "insufficient disk space available. Please free 0kb and try again" resulting in no saves. I have the Bethesda version.

7. dezo

dezo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    On the positive note, the game runs smooth as silk at 2560x1440 144Hz, controls are quick and responsive and graphics are nice. At least on my GPU anyway. No textures pop-in, glitches, bugs or crashes so far. Audio is clear and crisp.

On the negative - the person who tought the platforming, swinging and wall climbing is a good idea should be shot. Along with that twat who came with ammo limits. Seriously, is this some sort of Super Mario / Prince of Persia / Dying Light simulator? Who needed this BS in a Doom game? It just breaks the flow and leads only to frustration from missed jumps. I don't mind the harder difficulty while fighting, but the levels just started to suck for me. And they are designed to punish you even more for bad jumping so you have to go around over and over again. Because - you know - checkpoints and because you cannot squeeze yourself in 5 meters wide gap due to invisible wall.

I am now at the platforms lowering itself to hot lava the moment you jump on them. I don't know if it gets better later, but I am getting tired of this crap. Never had these problems in Doom 2016 - levels in that game have in fact some sort of coherency and atmosphere (which I don't see here) and platforming was effortless - just to get you to places, not to test your patience. So stupid platforms everywhere, invisible walls to stop you from places where should be clear access and constant low ammo/health messages beaming in your face. UI is cluttered as f..k, constant popups on every occasion, cutscenes about "your people" I don't care about, colored confetti from sawed demons like for 10 years old retard. Maybe I am getting old for "modern" gaming in general.

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  9. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Coupled with whenever the new ReShade 4.6 version releases that should make for some interesting enhancements for how McFly has improved and added to the GI effect by now, interesting to see what the devs themselves will add later on but we shall see in the coming months I suppose. :)

10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Having played a bit more, the game is punishing to point of frustration.

I don't mind a learning curve but getting hammered down a few times with every new encounter breaks the flow.

I get the right-tool-for-the-right-job approach but it seems as there's really not much freedom of choice, play the game as intended or face the consequences.

Already dropped to Hurt Me Plenty and only at Cultist Base. And still got beaten down a lot...

Not a fan of the really limited ammo pool. Yes chainsaw for ammo but would the game really suffer if you had 2x ammo to begin with?

Still liking the game a lot though but I can't escape the feeling part of the difficulty is artificial.

I semi-rage quit when Whiplashers insta-killed me for the umpteenth time.
    If these instakill mofos were alone it wouldn't be that bad but you're constantly hammered by other enemies.

Have been snagged by level geometry more than once as well. Also found some of those invisible walls that make no sense.

coc likes this.

11. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    while i get what ur saying here.. the game is harder than the average old school stuff, its very individual.

i was having the time of my life last night ( not with the wife, i mean with DOOM ) and the harder it was.. works better for me.

might wanna approach it a bit differently and don't try to "force" your way.. might go easier as you progress with the levels.

AsiJu likes this.
  12. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    So have given this game a try which I guess that entitles me to an opinion ;)

Yes I agree with many folk in the statement that this is very much different to Doom 2016 in terms of gameplay. Doom 2016 was pretty much a serious of balls to the wall arena set pieces connected by slightly slower pace wandering around getting from arena set piece to arena set piece. This game somehow takes the slower parts of Doom 2016 and makes them even slower while taking the balls to the wall combat of Doom 2016 and literally stable gunning them to the wall, and then smashing them with a hammer just for good measure.

Now I have no issue with the fast pace of the gameplay where it falls down a little is in a number of ways.

1). The limited ammo pool combined with the fact that almost every encounter requires the use of all the tools the game provides to get through is again fine in theory but in what should be a pretty straight forward go here kill that FPS why do I have five different attacks all requiring different buttons to work and all resulting in different outcomes. I have a chain saw attack, that drops ammo. A flame attack that drops amour, a glory kill that drops health, a grenade launcher which now has a freeze mode and yes all fine and well if the game was just a tad slower. I find almost every encounter comes down less to tactics and just randomly switching between all my different attacks and hoping that they are either cooled down or have ammo. (The chainsaw not having fuel is just as annoying here as it was in Doom 2016 only doubly so because at least in that game you had a slight chance of escaping, in Eternal by the time you've found it you're usually toast.

2). Level design and enemy spawn. The slower stuff is annoying why do I need to push a button to grab on why not just do that automatically? The balls to wall level design is really annoying, especially with the spawn of enemies. You have a fun enough time managing your weapons and attacks now throw in enemies who spawn in behind you, chase and attack from behind and level design that either backs you in to a corner or forces you to walk off ledges in to something that kills you. Again if the pace was just a tad slower it would be fine but combined with everything else it gets frustrating quickly.

In many respects I could see the faster pace and enemy spawn working very well in Doom 2016 and it's clear arena based level design but in Eternal... not totally sold yet. I will however place a caveat on this statement and that is I am still quite early in to the game, as I unlock new weapons, mods and get more used to the gameplay style and pace as well as locking muscle memory for attacks commands it may all fall in to place and just work. Then again it may not.

As for the look and feel. Yeah I like the look it is suitably different from 2016. I am no graphics junky but I am happy with the way things look. Everything maxed including sharpness and it's barely pushing my 3700x / 2070super combo. Last round I played it didn't even result in the GPUs fans spinning up and it plays butter smooth. No complaints at all in the thematic or graphical style of the game. Only thing is the Fortress of Doom does awfully remind me of those bad guys from the second Riddick movie. Goth-tech, is that a word?

Like the unlocks and progression although it does again fall slightly in to the same realm as the combat, in that their seems to be an awful lot of unlock types for a game that really should be a little simpler but again as I get used to the game that opinion may change.

I can see this going one of two ways

1). I'll play it get used to the combat, unlocks etc complete it and then clean up and love the game.
    2). I'll hit an area that frustrates me to the point of rage quit and that'll be it for the game.

13. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Once you get the super shotgun, it will be a game changer. Level it up as quickly as you can is my suggestion. Also, level up the grenades (not the ice bombs) as quickly as possible as they become very powerful later on. I don't know what runes you are using, but to me the best runes are the ones that give you a speed boost after glory killing, the one that drops health after blood punch, and air control.

It's also very important to set your key bindings properly so that they are easily accessible. Having a good gaming mouse with at least two extra buttons is critical so you can map dash and blood bunch.

Trust me it's going to get easier. The Doom Slayer is going to increase in power and some of the weapons you'll be getting are ridiculously powerful as well.

This is me now on level 6 mission on ultra violence:

[​IMG]

Duke Nil and dan gegner like this.
  14. Lurk

Lurk Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4080 VertoOC
    anybody knows where screenshots taken in photo-mode are saved?

15. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Already in hell now on my first playthrough on ultra violence, it is a very hard game but its just so damn fun. It feels like you skating/dancing around ripping apart demons. Its beautiful.

Runs like a dream, has a good length to it, lots of variety in the environments, tons of hidden secrets, challenges, and it actually has a sense of humour too which gives it more character.

Now all I want is to know what happened between Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal... maybe it will tell me as I progress further or they will release DLC for it as I know there are two extra missions or campaigns planned so fingers crossed.

This game is easily the best shooter out there, only the Metro series has impressed me as much.

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah I'm guessing level 3 is the "threshold" after which your arsenal and skills start to "level up".

I've tried targeting weak spots first and switching weapons and the works. I'm not always sure if you should focus on the biggest threat(s) first or rather kill the pestering herds.

Incidentally I just got the SSG.

I have that rune as well, speed boost after glory kills (a game changer for sure) and one that makes glory kills faster. Haven't unlocked more yet.

17. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    I still like this game and I'm having fun, but there's a lot of questionable design choices.
    Why is the game telling me how to defeat every monster via a game pausing tutorial before I even face them? It doesn't really feel like I'm ever in any real danger (ultra violence) because you're pretty much always around the fodder enemies, go abuse invincibility frames while treading on a much more dangerous enemy's toes until health/armour/ammo is back up, resume combat until you need to do that again. Also, is the lives system really necessary in a game like this?
    Again, back to glory kills/the not shooting part, hard to explain, but it feels like there's too many buttons that all do too little, one to get health off enemies, one to get ammo, one that makes enemies crap out armour. Feels really casualised.

Super shotty is real nice feeling though, platforming hasn't bothered me but I do wish it had some combat with it to spice things up a lil bit. Speed up glory kills + speed boost + air control is da bess.

18. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    Hurt Me Plenty... figured I'd pick an 'easy' one so I could get the gist of the combat down comfortably first.

19. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    The best tip for surviving encounters is always keep moving, and use the environment to your advantage, ie portals, exploding barrels etcetera. Be opportunistic, you don't have to engage the strongest demons at first sight. I've completed 4 Slayer Gates so far on ultra violence, and while the first two were somewhat difficult, the last two I've done have been easy because I'm playing with instinct now that I'm accustomed to the game and the super shotgun is so badass! :D

20. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I'm having a tough time getting through parts of 3rd mission in Ultraviolence. Some enemies definitely seem like they should be tough, and even though the game throws a lot at you, you still feel like after a couple attempts you can get through it, but god damn some of the enemies feel like they need adjustment, particularly the shield guys. They can practically 3 shot you, and when you add that to every other enemy shooting you, it feels a bit much.

Also, nothing more aggravating than running out of ammo in some situations as well, and I find lots of times I'd like to use chainsaw but its pretty much always empty for me when I need it most. Feels like some battles you just need to get lucky more than anything else, which is a bit disappointing. I suppose sure, i could lower the difficulty a notch, but I never like it in games where you can do the rest of the game and still progress decently enough and then just get stonewalled in one section.. never feels good.