DOOM Eternal

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Did anybody else not get any of the pre-order boni (including Doom 64)?

2. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Bethesda version had an /original/ dir with a 66mb game exe which is denuvo free. They released a patch shortly after to remove the directory from the release version. Well, too late. It only needs one to spread it in the internet..

Turanis, cerebus23 and BetA like this.
  3. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz

[​IMG]

Maybe just some good trolling? (from Bethesda) :cool:

4. OpenSystem

OpenSystem Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Game is meh.

Glory kills are boring and annoying (becoming invincible during the animation sequence).

Maybe I'm having a meh day.

So far its not leaving an impression on me.

5. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    @BetA

Nope, the poster is the troll.

6. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Just bought the Deluxe Edition of this game; it's only 37.4GB in size, which is surprising. Normally I wouldn't buy a game where the Season pass content isn't at least described, but Doom 2016 was one of my favorite FPS games of all time, so I have no problem giving the developer advanced funding :D

7. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
  8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  9. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Well one things for sure, this game is MUCH more challenging than Doom 2016 was; and in a good way. The increased difficulty seems to be due to improvements in the A.I of the demons, and also the fact that there's much more of them on screen.

I'll take that any day rather than just beefed up enemies with more hit points. Playing on ultra violence, which I think is the best and most balanced difficulty level.

Graphics and performance wise, it's a huge improvement as well. I'm almost always at triple digit framerates, even though the game looks much nicer than Doom 2016 and Wolfenstein TNC. Loving it so far, and highly recommended!

AsiJu likes this.
  10. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    I can't get HDR working in this game, it says monitor or display not compatible or something like that. That is weird because every other game on xbox and PC works just fine on this tv. WTF.

Seen someone else with a Vega card having the same problem, also seen someone says game is using dx11 calls for HDR? Maybe that doesn't work in AMD driver right now. Ugh.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    And now those people are complaining RTSS doesn't work in Doom Eternal...

12. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
  13. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Only played about 30-45 minutes of this game so far but, initial impressions, are that this is a great game and extremely well-optimised. I'm playing at 4K on a 165 Hz G-SYNC display with all settings cranked to Ultra Nightmare (or whatever the highest setting is called) and dynamic resolution off. My framerate is always well above 60 fps, usually 75-90 fps, even in the middle of hectic combat with lots of enemies and effects. Considering I'm running this from a 7,200rpm hard drive with an i7-4770K and GTX 1080 Ti, that is far, far better than I was expecting. Dropping the resolution down to 2560x1440, the native one for my monitor, results in framerates hitting 165 fps at times. It's very impressive and there's no hitching; it's all buttery-smooth.

Apart from the initial wait for the game to start up (thanks Denuvo!!!), the loading times are impressively brief, under 5 seconds to load into a level and about a second to restart after death. There seems to be no point running this from an SSD on my system... there's isn't much I can do during a 5 second load time!

Looking forward to playing this more over the weekend (along with Animal Crossing on Switch!). It feels so good to have something positive to look forward to amidst all the doom (ha!) and gloom going around in the world right now.

eGGroLLiO, AsiJu and JonasBeckman like this.
  14. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  15. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I have the Bethesda.net version of DOOM Eternal as I bought it from CDKeys for £29.99 (it's £49.99 on Steam) and only then found out it was for the Bethesda.net launcher. And, yes, I should perhaps have read the small print better when I bought it! The startup time of the game is around 20-30 seconds before anything appears on screen and that doesn't include signing into the Bethesda.net launcher as I have it set to start up with Windows and the icon shows in the system tray so I know it is running.

HARDRESET likes this.

16. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    I don't get that delay with the Steam version.

17. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah they are still using Steam but any third party likely has to be for the Bethesda version and launcher now, you still need a Bethesda .Net account for the Steam version however same as Rage 2 and Wolfenstein Youngblood as Bethesda circumvents the DLC and add a few bonuses this way so it's not like it matters too much overall. :D

They fixed that little issue as well with the earlier exe being unprotected but not quite fast enough so it got spread all over the net as expected plus it is compatible with the Steam version too though comparison wise I do not expect anything to change other than no longer having to wait on the game to boot up looking at a splash screen for a while but with this also making the Denuvo investment entirely pointless (Again.) I would hope to see it patched out of the game itself once the first patch comes out and then whatever else they might fix.

EDIT: Well it's not strictly required but I assume the game puts players in a offline mode or holds rewards like the pre-order content and DLC access until linking with a Bethesda account has been performed.

18. Rafnagud

Rafnagud Master Guru

GPU:
    INNO3D RTX 4080
    Having a lot of fun with this game. Indeed much more challenging than the 2016 game. Playing this game in a 3440x1440 resolution and it's very smooth.

I wished the texture quality was a little bit better though. I hope the release of the new Playstation and Xbox will bring better textures to pc games next year.

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    now we just laugh at them

20. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    66MB vs 434MB(Denuvo edition),that's a lot of junkie software in exec file.

The Doom Eternal reminds me of Blizzard's D3 & Reaper of Souls.
    Vulkan & idTech=Love for gamers.