Folding@home: Put your CPU and GPU in use against the Corona COVID-19 virus

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 15, 2020.

1. erazerswe

erazerswe Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3060
    I just joined the team even though i only have an amd fx 6350 and a gtx960, but its for a good cause so why the heck not?

jura11 and BetA like this.
  2. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    The points are a reflection of the relative contribution to the project that you provide. If you want to contribute as much as possible, save the energy costs of CPU folding and buy a cheap GPU that can probably still fold faster and earn more units (meaning it is more valuable) too.

I fully expect CPU Folding to enter legacy status if there are no projects that are complex enough to fit in GPU memory. The worst I've seen FAH use is like 200MB VRAM, so this isn't happening any time soon - it seems that the algorithms are very compute heavy, not memory intensive (either size or bandwidth).

3. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    Have been knocking these out as they come up.

I have both my and my mom's computers in the basement, wired up into the living room, both to make it silent up here but donate the heat downstairs (where there's no HVAC). It's a cold winter here at the moment, but my mom is quilting in the basement in comfort.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I would gladly let my gpu do the folding when my system is idle, IF the client had way to limit gpu usage, yes I aware I can use MSI AB to limit the power limit But i dont want to do that,

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Why would you want to limit GPU usage? And why wouldn't you just put a power limit? You do know that GPU usage is basically how frequently the GPU is being used and not how heavily the GPU is being utilized, right? Making something use < 100% GPU usage means that it works, stops, works, stops. And there's no point to that. GPU compute schedulers handle distributing the workload themselves, so you can't easily / properly control resource allocation. Just put a power limit.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    so as the gpu fan dont go into overdrive cause it pushing 70c and so the card isnt pulling full wattage obviously And i dont want to have do threw MSI AB power limit cause then I have to keep swaping profiles, which i dont want to do. I dont run MSI AB or RTSS always, only when I need to check something.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  7. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    What's wrong with the GPU fan spinning up? I've been folding for 10 years, and most of that time on air cooling.

8. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Haven't been on this for awhile, Can confirm, 2 cpu's and 4 Gpu's, are infact working, Don't know about all day being turned on, I never leave my 4-way at full power like this for to long of a time, I always closely monitor it, although temps are very good, but have to be careful while your at it, thanks again.

9. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    So how is youre team doing it?
    Love from Hardware.no team :)
    [​IMG]

jura11 likes this.
  10. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I agree that cancer is the bigger threat - in no way should we be diverting computing power from cancer for Coronavirus. However, it wouldn't hurt to have those who are currently not running any distributed computing apps to donate some cycles towards a vaccine. Also, this might encourage more people to get into distributed computing in general, which would be a good thing overall.

HandR, A M D BugBear and Loophole35 like this.

11. LordSoth

LordSoth Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 8gig
    OK, got this on both my PC's at home. My main is good and should help, second PC is not that hot but will run folding on it anyway. How will i know if my PC is being used in anyway ?.

web control seems to be having a wobbly right now, just flicking and not showing details at all ?, is that normal.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  12. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Guys, after a few days of getting no WUs, I found my computer humming working at both CPU+GPU Wus...
    Only not Covid-19. Why I can't choose anymore for this project?

13. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Adding roughly 440k PPD when PC is on (the 14 hours I'm not sleeping)

14. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    So far doing pretty good over here, I am almost up to 1m points since I started just very recently, over 1.2m PPD, not to bad.

Although it could been more higher as I am also doing Boinc(Rosetta@home), mostly using cpu on that part, looking very good, Everything from temps,etc, Something I wouldn't be running 24/7, but, during resting time or taking a break in-between my 4-Way Sli project that I am doing/Eating,etc, then I will go on it.

Thanks Again.

15. LordSoth

LordSoth Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 8gig
    Not getting any more points either from this got to 15,901 days ago and now it has stopped.

16. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Currently closing in at 1.5m points, looking very good.

17. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    bumping this thread for those who sort by new.

Keep folding guys!

18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well I folded and it doesn't report my GPU packet as done... although I saw both 100% and now searching for a new packet... is this normal? Doesn't show on my scores either...

edit: is it maybe that it's messed up now that I wanted to fold on two machines (gaming PC and HTPC which is crap though)?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  19. empleat

empleat Member

GPU:
    geforce 780
    I downloaded app, but it is either 99% gpu usage on medium/high, or 0% on light. I heard there is no way to limit gpu usage. Still weird, why it isn't possible to give gpu work more slowly ? Is there anything to limit gpu usage ? What about cuda index, or open cl. Is it possible to remove some gpu processors, but i don't know how and didn't find which index corresponds to what...