PlayStation 5 would have a GPU of 11 TFLOPs: 3328 Stream Processors at 1743MHz

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 12, 2020.

1. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    To my understanding from past news, their backward compatibility should apply for all the previous platforms - 1,2,3,4. Is it not? Why skip 3? That won't make any sense.

Modern games are trash, so for me the ability to play older ones at higher frame rates or better picture quality + what ever enhancements they may throw into the mix is a massive selling point.

2. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Emulating the PS3 is still tricky, even for them. While the hardware could do it, i m not sure they would do it.

Ps1 and ps2 are currently working on ps4, so no problem on that.

And for ps1 and ps2 we are surely talking about ps store emulation, not old disc working out of the box.

3. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    "PlayStation 5 would have a GPU with 3328 Stream Processors at 1743MHz..."

Does that mean it won't?

Since AMD got their CPUs into consoles, games across platforms run much better. I only expect for them to be running more on par with PC hardware.
    Of course that will depend on how much time developers will put into optimizing the game and giving us options to play with on the settings menu.
    I'm optimistic as now they push for 4K@60FPS so we will have generally good optimized games.

4. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well 1 and 2 can be easier software emulated. Due to the insane power of the PS5, this shouldnt be an issue, even the ps4 could do this.

3 was a different beast, the cell processor is insanely hard to emulate for, and they can run the games hardware wise as they would need to basically remake the game using different code (and unlikely for them to do this). So either they put in a mini CPU to run it, or they have found a good way to emulate it on their end. Like i really hope you're right, but it was such odd tech that its been hard to emulate.

We will just have to see, i'd love if they can do it. I'm just not holding my breath, Part of me is hoping they do what Microsoft are doing and allowing for old titles to make use of the extra power, with increased resolution or increased framerates.

EDIT: Also i'm not sure what the stance is right now with Discs, PS1 and PS2 they might just allow the use of discs cause theyre so old. but chances are we might have to rebuy them again on the store. As for ps3 should be easier to run from a disc, just issues above

cryohellinc likes this.

5. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Good point regarding the PS3 architecture - it indeed infamous for how hard it is to program for it. But then again the only real party here that can come up with a proper solution for it is, gasp, Sony.

For me if PS1 / 2 /3 / 4 games would be available, even for a small price, that would be a fantastic sale. 60 Euro worth of 1 modern trash game, or, for example, 12 games worth 5 eur each from past gens. The choice would be ovious.

But oh well, let's see. My hopes are that the design that floats around the web right now will not be the actual PS5 (I find it hideous).

6. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    Why not lmao? 4K60FPS would be easly possible with RDNA 2 because it's gaming focused. And 8K30 is really possible too.

7. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Think you might be being a little too hopeful, as i dont think the Discs will work... so chances are you're going to be paying 5-15euros per a game to get the digital version of it again. Similar to the price of the JAX games, of course on sale could be less than that. Which i'm okay with this for the most part as some i dont own anymore. But the big issue is for games such as Simpsons Hit and Run, this wont be available again, and its owned by multiple companies who wont re-release it, and who knows how many games are im limbo like this. So hopefully discs work, problem is was how easy piracy was on them, ps1 didn't even have protection on the data inside! So this might turn sony away

You are right though Sony are the best people to get the ps5 to run ps3 games, and honestly if they can do that, and let them run native 4k that would be perfect or even run perfect 30/60fps depending on the lock they had

Personally I've love modern games, such as God of war and Spiderman and even Horizon zero dawn. But as always games are a matter of taste and mine might be different from yours. Not all games are made equal but looking at past generations it is easy to see all the good games and great games and ignore the bad ones.

8. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I do not think the bluray hd player can read DVD too.
    CDs are not compatible with PS4 either, so disc compatibility is out fo questions for PS1, i do not think we can put a DVD in the drive too, so that rule out the PS2 also in that case.
    Also DISC won't be allowed because the old hardware protections are not in place in the new console and so no way they are going to just read a disc with something on it.

9. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Never tried a CD disc so unsure there, but i know it can play DVD as i've watched DVD's from my ps4 before ( far as i know ps2 used the same if not very similar discs). The protect, unsure. PS2 protection could be added to the ps5, PS1 there isnt a way to do the wobble... though i guess in theory this could be added as well? just depends on the level of detail they want to go down.

I think its likely they will just be emulated from downloads from the store... Sadly if it goes down this route many games wont be playable due to license issues with many titles.

10. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    as far for protection in PS1/PS2 era... bypass chip "modchip" was common things back then

those protection system basically just in the "header", there rest is not straight-forward / non-encrypted
    so if sony allow the drive can read CD/DVD, it shouldnt be a problem

But again nowdays, only game collector that still owning bunch of CD/DVD games want backward compability
    most/casual player would just buy off from PSstore
    people really dont want spend any money on those classic games, well there is a "way"
    http://wololo.net/2018/01/23/running-ps2-isos-ps4-4-05/

11. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    People donĀ“t remenber that Render resolution can vary from displayed resolution, consoles can process 1280x720 or 1600x900 and display 1920x1080p, some PC games can do same

greetings!

SamuelL421 likes this.
  12. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    It is exactly the same situation as previous gen consoles. On announcement, they are current PC gen high end. When they are finally released, they are one PC gen behind. And of course from that point PCs go their own way. Anyway, buying a console (XBox) beside my PC is a no-brainer, especially how interoperable those are these days.

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    As usual people seem to forget that games made for consoles can run on inferior hardware because they're optimized for just one or two platforms. The specs of PS5 are very good.

14. riot83

riot83 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Well I'm quite sure that only in-house exclusive production will get good optimization, rest not so much, as we've seen even with current consoles. Especially next gen developers have the older gen consoles(for the first few years), new gen consoles, PC, Stadia(and other streaming platforms coming) and Switch(to a lesser degree, since ports seem to come out later) to worry about. They won't spend time optimizing(no money in it), most likely they'll just get the games running decently and move on, like now.

From reports, no developers are doing only next gen games, so a lot of platforms to optimize for.

15. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Funny how many still dont seem to know the difference between video output and rendering res.
    Any console and its limits for power/thermals, will NEVER render the game at the same res the tvs do.
    From the beginning, 4K was done with upscaling, same as it will be for 8K.
    And that the xb will be more powerful is irrelevant when you dont have any exclusive titles for 2y.
    There is a reason why ps outsells xb by 1:2-5,
    nothing the bit more powernon the xb will change.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Loophole35 likes this.
  17. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    They will still target 30 or simply leave it unlocked and use VRR with HDMI2.1 to pick up the slack without needing to bother. 8k is useless, we don't need more pixels, we need better quality pixels and better displays.
    This cycle of shoving out new display resolutions, and then spending an entire generation without console hardware to be able to actually render at that true native resolution is getting annoying. A problem that never existed with CRTs.

All that power and it will still probably squandered and they will continue to offer little choice to the user in how to play the game. (Resolution/frame rate options)
    A 2080 is a FP32 10 TFLOP GPU and there is a so much flexibility in the choices you have.
    It can run tons of current and existing games at 60+FPS at 4k. (The ones it can't, you can generally reduce settings to hit 60 or if it's unoptimized you can hit 30 easily. In some cases just dropping to 1800p or 1944p will be enough to hit 60FPS with max settings) Or you can easily hit 120+FPS at lower resolutions, with older games you can hit 4k120 no problem. Or you can target 1080p60 and get near CG like image quality with high quality Anti Aliasing.
    I doubt we will see anything of the sort here.

Backwards compatibility will probably not take advantage of the extra power beyond making less stable games more stable maybe. Or be forced to buy a new edition or update to take advantage of the hardware.(For the small minority of companies that will bother to even do it if possible) If we are lucky, we finally might even see 16xAF across all current games even! /shock awe. If it's anything like Microsoft, only a select number of games will be BC. And if there's enhancements and even smaller select few would get that. I'll be shocked if there is even PS1/PS2 compatibility.

I'll use Dead Rising as an example of a current game in it's PS4 iteration (Since it's a port of a last gen game)and comparable PC hardware of the time. It came out around the time of the PS4Pro, which they tout as having a 4+Tflop GPU. On a GTX 980, with 25% higher FP32 performance 5.2ish or whatever the number is.
    The PS4 version isn't pro enabled so you are stuck with the bog standard set up . 1920x1080 60FPS with 2xMSAA and what looks to be 4xAF, adaptive Vsync (with performance drops). And this is a port of a last gen game so you'd think there'd be all this extra headroom for better quality.
    A GTX 980 +1st generation i7 from 2008 can run the same game at 3456x1944 60FPS with 16xAF, 2xMSAA ,MFAA, 2xSGSSAA and only drop the framerate in one very specific section of the game. The PS4 Pro at the very least should've been capable of running at least 3200x1800 + 16xAF and 2xMSAA without drops with all that extra optimization they can supposedly get with only with consoles.

Dead Rising 2 runs even worse on PS4, similar set up. Poor texture filtering, only post process AA.No PS4 Pro support. No Xbox One X support.
    Same PC set up above can run at 1080p with 16xAF and 8xSGSSAA at 60FPS. (Probably near 4k60 with only PPAA)

We are entirely at the mercy of the developers to even bother putting any effort in to take advantage of the power they have available. Something that became incredibly apparent this generation. There is no user choice to be able to make any changes like on PC to try and get more out of the hardware. And if there is they are half baked. I'm sure we'll see more of this.

The value proposition when you consider stuff like this and backwards compatibility and user choice as a whole. Consoles are very low. The barrier of entry is low. But you will be stuck having to re buy a game to take advantage of any hardware improvements if it's deemed worthy enough to invest the time for a publisher in a re-release.
    Meanwhile on PC of comparable hardware, all you need is new hardware and a game that was ported correctly (There are a lot that aren't) to start with and the doors are wide open to improve things or play the way you want and not be stuck at a low framerate.

18. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Denial
    again, just cause it has 4K output doesnt mean the game is rendered at actual 4k (vs upscaled).
    some 30fps titles maybe, but not any of the latest titles, when my 2080S@2ghz can just do cod ww2 @4k, and cant even crank up settings

@MrBonk yeah, lets spend +500$ so i can play 20y old titles, lol.
    and regarding ps3/4: how many ppl do you know have games but not the console to play it?
    i want them to make use of all that the hw can deliver, and not cripple it so, just so some can play old stuff again.
    at some point "you" have to drop backwards compatibility,.and i rather see them doing it now.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    SamuelL421 likes this.
  19. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    Agreed, this keeps getting lost in translation somewhere. Take a look at any of the current consoles from the Switch to PS4 Pro / Xbox One X - they are all upscaling in many cases to meet the output resolution they are supposedly designed for.

Backwards compatibility is good as a value-added proposition. There are a lot of people with stacks of old games and a broken console or controllers broken/missing etc.

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080

This sentence has pretty specific meaning - especially when you capitalize never.

In that list, I know Witcher 3, Tomb Raider, The F1 series, Forza, all run native 4K. I'm sure a bunch others do as well.

If you want to move the goalposts to "4K@60fps, titles that come out this year" then fine but that's not stated at all in the post I quoted.

There was plenty of games when XB1X came out (2017) that were modern and running 4K native. A 11/12Tflop GPU will easily manage that in far more games without upscaling and probably manage it at 60fps as well. Now whether developers will choose to add high quality assets/shaders and forgo 4K and use upscaling is a different thing all together.

Even now there are plenty of games I can hit 4K 60fps on with my 1080Ti that I'd rather play then most modern titles where I can't. Games like Ori, Abzu, etc all look beautiful at 4K and i'm sure 8K and having the ability for the Xbox/PS5 to natively handle that res will be a great option for those developers.

Aura89 likes this.