HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. 0458315753

0458315753 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070S
    Is there a flag for Halo: Master Chief Collection? The game has very low amount of anti-aliasing, resembles 4x MSAA. In Combat Evolved aliasing is easier to see due to simpler geometry.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    use DSR then.

3. 0458315753

0458315753 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070S
    I'm aware of the option, but I prefer staying in borderless fullscreen since I don't play competitively.

4. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    They use DX11 I believe and the only AA they offer as far as I can tell is some kind of PPAA (or in the case of reach bad TAA).
    MSAA would've been very nice. However even the Gearbox Halo 1 port was incompatible with AA of any kind as well and you could not force it.

If you don't play competitively you can still use DSR and play borderless windowed. Your resolution will just be higher then. But you really have no other option than DSR.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Halo 1 renders to offscreen surfaces, which at the time (DX9) no hardware could apply MSAA.

https://halo.bungie.org/misc/halopcperformancefaq.html

People also forget that Bungie intentionally made gearbox do the shader ports themselves, Xbox shaders are not directly translatable to PC.

6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    @0458315753 This is also not the AA flag thread. This is for HBAO.
    The only reason to shy away from DSR is because it's very demanding. It needs higher than native resolutions, so if your native res is 4k, DSR becomes exponentially hard to use.
    That being said, Halo CE even in the MCC is super easy to run, and DSR works great on my end. Certainly worth a shot.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Quite a few users with lower end 10 series have framerate issues because it doesn't load the gpu well enough, i haven't found them to occur on 1080 and 1080ti though, only the GDDR5 cards.

as for hbao, 343 had the opportunity to do something special with the shadows in these "remasters" instead we get broken checkerboard shadows XD

8. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    DSR might actually help those people, push the card a little more. I'm personally happy with the result for $10. But yeah, better ssao should have been an easy upgrade.

9. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Makes sense, I remember reading about it years ago. But it's been ages heh.
    Surely though a modern port of it could support MSAA somehow.
    HBAO+ would've been nice too.

10. 0458315753

0458315753 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070S
    Sorry about confusing the threads. MCC has some ambient occlusion when the "enhanced" graphical setting has been enabled, but there has been some critique in the community. Reshade's MXAO didn't have any effect as far as I could see.

11. 0458315753

0458315753 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070S
    It doesn't seem that this has been asked recently — is there currently any way to toggle the effect without restarting the game? Nvidia HBAO is more subtle, likely more realistic, than say Reshade's MXAO and isn't necessarily evident in games with baked lightning and shadows.

12. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    No, the game has to be started in order for HBAO+ to work.
    It's a shame it isn't use more officially. As it is by far the best SSAO solution out there. (When it isn't implemented badly. Like Far Cry 4)

Looking at screens of Halo CEA. Man that is some terrible looking AO. It's like they forgot to turn on the filtering pass that normally cleans up a noisy AO input like this.

It's honestly pretty astounding how bad a lot of SSAO is these days. And in some cases they behave just outright bizarrely. (Bayonetta, Vanquish)

13. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    To be fair, it mostly looks bad because it's CEA, which is by this point already an old game. In fact, CEA came out 10 years after the original CE (2001 - 2011), and it's almost been 10 years since THAT version.
    But that starts to feel like an excuse, that "Enhanced" option should have been an opportunity to do a lot more than what they did.

14. ZabaZuu

ZabaZuu Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10 GB
    Reach's bad TAA was replaced with FXAA for the MCC.

Btw, I posted an HBAO+ compatibility flag a while back for Xenoverse 2 and I noticed it wasn't added to the spreadsheet.

15. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Ah I must have missed that sorry. I'll add it. I have not checked this thread as often. As not many people seem to be willing to do the trial and error work to figure this stuff out. So I had forgotten.

I'll add it. And it's interesting they didn't try to just simply improve Reach's TAA (With the power of modern GPUs they could have had a ton of headroom to really go for high quality) and leave that as an option .
    But i'd still rather just have FXAA. As the TAA in the original Reach was really bad.

16. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    I have been editing the Half-Life 2 driver entry in Inspector trying to get HBAO or AA options to work in Half Life 2 Update(with MMOD) and it just isn't working. No HBAO+ nor any kind of AA is getting applied for some reason.

I can do it just fine on Black Mesa so it's not some Source Engine update problem I think. Any ideas why this is happening?

On an unrelated note @MrBonk can you please edit the OP and make the part with the link bigger? The link on the AA thread for example is more easily accessible/readable.

"2017: It is no longer possible to directly embed the list. Here's a link to view it instead."

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  17. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I actually can't. The post was made before the forum was updated and even back then I had to get the admin to extend the character limit to allow the post as it was.
    So I cannot edit the post at all anymore. Not unless I delete about 19,000 characters. (Currently sits at about 39k. Forum limit is 20k)

18. S3r1ous

S3r1ous Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700
    MXAO has an effect on weapons, but its really subtle, turn it up, ehh better than nothing i suppose

19. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Flags that were made with the old HBAO(non +)/SSAO methods are no longer relevant.

20. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Hey there, there's nothing to show in screenshots because no change is being applied. I can understand if you think the shadowing might have been hard to notice if it's too soft AO but neither that nor AA worked, jaggied lines all over.

I applied both HBAO+ and SGSSAA 2/4/8x and nothing happened neither any shadowing nor any antialiasing applied. Turning it all off and just using 2x MSAA ingame worked fine. I tried using Override/Enhance and every other usable setting for AA as well to no avail.

I'm really puzzled why it's not working, at this point I'm suspecting it might have some exe recognition issue with HL2 Update and MMOD which makes little sense.