2K also withdraws their games from NVIDIA GeForce Now streaming service - EPIC is in

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    insp1re2600 likes this.
  2. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    How do these steaming service contracts work for the publisher?
    Do they get a royalty for each user who plays a game, or for each instance of a game run? Is it a flat rate for the IP overall?

3. foxX

foxX Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6800XT MERC
    Geforce Now and Shadow are offering the same service an internet cafe is offering. Interesting how publishers are not now coming and expressing how they don't want their titles to run in specific internet cafes.

For that matter Blizzard has been doing exactly that for around a decade in Korea, just reversed: specific internet cafe chains gaining unusual benefits in Blizzard games.

Wishing all these publishers good luck in the next decade in the burger flipping business.

4. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Maybe it´s better to simply cancel Geforce Now...

Order_66 likes this.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    GeForce Now and Shadow are not offering the same service as internet cafes.... They neither provide internet access, or direct physical access to a PC...as an internet cafe does.

Steam actually offers a special licensing to internet cafes.... https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3303-QWRC-3436

Fox2232 likes this.
  6. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    So what's the gamble here?

Do the studios believe that there is tangibly more $ to be made forcing people to use only certain devices to play their games than there is selling games to people that will only buy them if they can play then on just about any platform?

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ofcourse epic is in, its like nv epic are *SPAM* it goes waay back to ue1, can't break a relationship like that. lol xD

Fox2232, JAMVA and fantaskarsef like this.
  8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    think that is pasted *SPAM*, more like living together but not will too become one yet :rolleyes:

fantaskarsef and -Tj- like this.
  9. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I still say this is somewhat of a coup by google to destroy Geforce Now. Developers have no reason for doing this because it doesn't cut into their sales in any way. If anything it would actually help sales because people with lower end PC's would now be able to buy and play more games.

DocStr4ngelove and Maddness like this.
  10. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I dont think google is involved, otherwise Ubisoft for instance would be out as well.

11. cpy2

cpy2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Ti 4600
    This publisher greed is really pissing me off. Playing your game over some remote desktop VM? There should be LAW that I can play my damn games wherever I want.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    In Google's case it seems to be upfront reward + per stream but you need to specifically develop the game for their platform. Nvidia is merely providing a VM and an enhanced conduit to play the game through.

In the case of Blizzard, they updated their ToS in 2018 to restrict cloud play of their games on outside services -- so they probably have some legal case to argue not to be on the platform. I don't know about 2K games. The Long Dark though has no such thing - their EULA (which is steam's 3rd party agreement most indie games use) states nothing about it. I think Nvidia will pull requested games because they don't want ill will towards publishers but as far as I'm concerned I should get a refund for The Long Dark if they are changing their ToS after I purchased the game to such a degree.

I don't support these companies pulling their games at all.. and honestly even in the cases of Blizzard I don't support game companies that are refusing to let me play games I purchase over other platforms because they want to double dip.

At this point any company that pulls it's games off the platform I'm simply not going to buy games from anymore - which so far isn't hard because I don't feel like any of these companies have made a good game since SC2/Civ 5.

Stormyandcold and Yogi like this.
  13. Dymblos

Dymblos Guest

GPU:
    GTX570
    I remember many of the games of those company was pushed by amd.. gift when u buy and amd graphic card..
    maybe amd is behind that.. hmm..

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    That change could probably be struck out of the tos by a court if anyone challenged it.

15. fellix

fellix Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    I think Nvidia is also partly to blame for this situation, by explicitly designing the GFN client app to look and behave like a game distribution service and as soon it was out of beta, with a price-tag stuck on, it triggered the whole industry.
    Instead, they should've marketed it as a remote game rendering service first and foremost, to avoid antagonizing publishers.

kakiharaFRS likes this.

16. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I'd say it's exactly the other way around. The publishers were fine with stadia, because it forced it's users to buy the games again. But with Geforce now they don't and the publishers sees nothing from the service, so they would naturally have preferred if stadia was the dominant streaming service.

It's just greed in the end and it seems to me that the only reason why nvidia is even removing titles is because of their goodwill. They are basically just a VM provider who shouldn't care what SW is run by users on their servers.

17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    It's more like, they are the couple at the workplace pretending not to be, but everybody knows :D

On a more serious note, now that Sweeny's on board with it, out of principle, I'd have to disagree with GeforceNow, since I'm opposed to Sweeney... right? :D

-Tj- likes this.
  18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Developus interruptus ?

19. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    Nvidia especially in their crushingly dominant position should not have backed up.
    My answer in their place :
    1) we are only renting hardware to customers who have decided to not invest themselves
    2) those are not your games, they are owned by the customers who bought them and who are free to decide where they want to play them
    3) you do not have the legal right to impose customers a specific PC computer to play on and that is all geforce now provides (note: if not they should only do that)

they have zero rights to impose what they want, geforce now is not a shop it doesn't sell games not rent them it provides hardware time
    sue all of them for billions

jbscotchman likes this.
  20. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Like that is going to help anything at all