AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 20.2.2 driver download

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Ok, enjoy your power trip also, Mr wisdom.

All I did was make a suggestion. I was attacked. Like in real life, I have the right to defend myself - in this case my words.

No problem not coming back here since insanity is upheld by psychos like yourself and that admin that bashes his keyboard before throwing warnings over nothing.

2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Your attitude speaks for yourself. You will not be missed. Bye.

3. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    As does yours. Psychos in power is what's wrong in this world.

Nice try hurting me. Aww no one will miss me..... Toxic bunch. Keep protecting that princess who is never wrong in your eyes.

4. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Go on, ban me. Feel that power rushing through your veins! Haha so pathetic...

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Can you please stop derailing the thread, just have a break from Guru3D for a bit and then come back when you feel the need to share some feedback on drivers or have a question about something.

Don't be silly, just be nice.

HandR likes this.
  6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I dont understand why that attitude. Just let it go.

7. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    The black screen is more than likely 100% drivers related. The other day i had the problem but i was able to alt-tab do discord and when discord became the focused app the card started to output the game again with discord over it. No more blackscreen I could see other people move in the game so the game was working perfectly and displaying perfectly under Discord. Then i switched back to the game and bam black screen again. Had to close the game and reboot.

Also more often than not when there is a black screen if i'm able to blindly reach a part of the game where it will load with a 2d image displayed the black screen will disappear and the loading screen will be displayed and for a short amount of time the 3d game will show after the loading screen and go back to a black screen again until i kill the game.

Lately i've been able to avoid a cold reboot most of the time. I just kill the game with alt-f4 and the desktop is displayed and then i restart the computer and don't have the problem again for 3 to 5 days.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If it's 100% driver related, explain why so many of us don't have these issues? We're all running the same driver sets.

Some things can be fixed in the driver, that aren't actually driver related.....according to NVidia.

This will be the 3rd time I've asked this question. Let's see if it's the third time I get attacked for it....

Richard Nutman likes this.
  9. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Are you implying that a hardware problem is preventing my card from displaying the game when it's the focused app but then when discord is the focused app over the game then the game is displayed perfectly under the discord window (see previous post). As a computer engineer i really don't see how a hardware problem could lead to that but i'm old and frankly terribly outdated so maybe i'm missing something here.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I give up.....

When someone running an AMD graphics card has an issue, it's always the driver. It's deemed impossible for any other problem to exist outside of a driver issue.

When someone with an NVidia graphics card has an issue, it's always the user or system configuration because NVidia's drivers are effing perfect.

I've spent the last 25 years of my life diagnosing problems. Whether it be computers, cars, mechanical equipment,electrical problems, etc. If you want to solve an issue, you can't be narrow minded. I've literally had a black screen issue with 1 game. The solution was quite simple. Set CPU affinity to limit that game to 3 CPU cores. Black screen issue completely resolved. It hasn't presented itself since I started limiting the number of cores the game can use. The GPU and it's driver are NOT the only things that can cause black screens. Once you figure that out, it becomes a lot easier to start trying to fix them. Instead, everyone just wants to blame the driver, while waiting for the next GPU release from AMD just so they can continue to complain about driver issues.....

There are some on this forum that claim to have had all of the exact same issues, from every driver AMD has released and with every GPU release *SPAM* back to the 7000 series. At that point, the issue isn't the driver. It's the user. But, can't blame an issue on anything but the driver in the AMD section without getting attacked..... Apparently can't do it in the frontpage section either without someone coming out to start crap and then play victim.

For some people, the black screens are the result of unstable systems. For some people, the black screens are the result of running outdated games. For some people, there might be a driver issue. For some, it's other 3rd party software or embedded coding on a site that streams video. I keep saying that it's not 100% driver related because I know for a fact that it's not 100% driver related. People just have too big an ego to believe that something they've done might be exacerbating the issue, or might even be the direct cause.

carnivore and Richard Nutman like this.

11. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I think it's healthier to assume AMD drivers issue is a meme at this point and just laugh instead. Can fix PC, can't fix stupid people.
    Just double the trouble. If Earth is flat, better start building a second floor :D

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its usually the hardware

[​IMG]

Game software can't cause black screens. They can cause GPU resets if they use Vk and Dx12 (gpu page faults especially)

Could see outdated monitoring utilities doing it though.

Radeon drivers bundle firmware updates and if what i've seen written on tpu is anything to go by, there are far more timing level tweaks in the radeon kernel driver than there are in nvidia's, timings that are subject to being capable of throwing the lesser of integrity gpu's bitflipping and crashing the chip or its scanout.

which as a psa: the early turing screen garbling and blanking was due to programmable scanout crashes (excluding the space invaders, those were just bad chips)

So yeah, it possible for "bad drivers" to crash a good card just because the owner uses a different monitor to you :oops:

Not a bad turnaround for getting many of the black screen causes fixed though, usually takes >12 months to fix pervasive issues in the radeon driver.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    So by extent some titles might be more sensitive to memory timings or rather the GPU is affected worse and that might be part of this issue although then what number of cards are actually hardware faulty?
    If it's minor enough to be possible to resolve via firmware but still a flaw however minor which also extends into the GPU cores on the 5500 and 5600 and users doing multiple RMA's with no luck then the actual number of affected cards must be pretty high.
    (Going by if it's actually at the core of it a GPU chip fault or error of some kind at least IE a hardware issue somewhat solvable via software updates.)

Some titles also do violate the various D3D9 or D3D11 or DXGI and whatever else API standards and expected Windows OS behavior and functionality to some pretty severe extents as well which the GPU might be more sensitive towards and then you have some of the problems like with ReShade and I think also Vulkan and possibly some parts of DirectX where the driver reports features as supported but they aren't or it's handled incorrectly though that situation is more of a software crash or a "regular" driver crash not a complete GPU shut down.

For timing and these firmware updates those might also be why the 19.7 drivers were pretty unstable with memory overclocking which 19.8 mostly resolved (Although having other stability issues in turn until 19.9 came out.) but unfortunately AMD locks the values down a bit so trying to set lower than default memory clock speeds for testing isn't supported and voltage values are not exposed either.
    (Plus just from comparing the tech powerup bios database the timing values between Samsung and Micron are different with I think the Samsung chips having looser timings comparably to Micron the higher the clock speeds go.)

Not sure though, 20.2.2 here resolves a fair number of issues but some titles are still very prone to crashing including this black screen error and other still unresolved problems but it's a good driver release overall for fixing many of the existing issues. :)

EDIT: Or just throw DXVK into it I suppose which has worked really well so far even if it's not intended as a Windows wrapper for D3D -> Vulkan but eh either the game or the drivers are forced to have some standards and somehow things work at least a bit better. :p
    (I wouldn't know the finer details really, program in question no longer crashing the driver or the very system is a good result at least.)

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Edited post

"Game software can't cause black screens. They can cause GPU resets if they use Vk and Dx12 (gpu page faults especially)"