Baldur's Gate III

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by SpajdrEX, May 30, 2019.

1. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    looks nice. very nice.

but yeah.. im also not fond of turn based combat.

2. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Looks like I am not alone. I don't hate turn based combat, but I am not a big fan of it, especially as an adult. Turn based combat games are time consuming, and time is something I am very tight on. Loved Divinity 2, but gave up on playing it for that very reason; consumes too much of my time.

coc likes this.
  3. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    He said pretty clear it’s turn based only. So there won’t be any option to choose from wheather you can turn it off or not.
    You can still hope for a mod tho.

4. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    The turn based system is just one of the issues I have. Now this is just MY opinion, but :

After watching the demo, this is most definitely NOT Baldur's Gate 3. This is probably an otherwise fine looking D&D game that happens to take place in and around the city of Baldur's Gate (I assume anyway, since BG2 wasn't even near the city of Baldur's Gate), but this by no means deserves that '3' in the title. Not even remotely.

Drop the '3', give it it's own subtitle and drop any pretense this has anything remotely to do with the Bhaalspawn saga that the '3' implies and leans on.

Nowhere in this is there ANY indication this has any connection to 1 & 2, even tangentially. Hell, based on what I've seen this looks to have more connection to Neverwinter Nights 2 than it does to Baldur's Gate.

A cheap marketing gimmick. That's all slapping that '3' on the title is. Undeservedly riding the wake of a classic series.

You've got the makings of a fine game here, Larian. Not Baldur's Gate 3, but a fine D&D game. Talk to WotC about ditching that '3'. You don't need it. Either that or start showing the justification for that '3', because to date, you have failed completely to do so.

The game's art style and graphics look pretty darn similar to DOS2. Basically a Divinity recycling that I can see so far. Again, maybe this turns out to be a great game, but the gameplay video I see just doesn't seem like Baldurs Gate, just another RPG with turn based combat that looks eerily similar to DOS and DOS2 - nothing original.

5. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Yeah, i had the same opinion. I stil think it will be a great game, i absolutely loved DOS1 and DOS2, for me those are/were masterpeaces. I had so much fun with them, especially in coop with friends.

6. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    Wow we have some snobby RPG players here. I played BG1 and BG2 many times. BG3 is probably the best evolution of those mechanics and games that I could hope for.

Can't wait for this release.

scatman839 and Astyanax like this.
  7. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    Based on what? What about the gameplay video makes you think that? Please be specific.

8. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    One of the trickiest things to adapt well into a RPG are a lot of the climb and jump mechanics from DnD. A lot of times it just ended up being a specific point you can use the skill. They have gone way farther with their implementation. They also have specifically designed a lot of the levels to have verticality to make better use of these skills (in the video they show an example of hiding ontop of a building roof to sneak around and steal or ambush). This opens up a whole new level of interactivity with the level and secrets to find.

In addition to this, they also have the ability to move physics based objects in the environment and stack them to create artificial stairs, again it's like adding a whole new dimension to the levels compared to traditional ISO RPGs.

I also personally like the Divinity 2 style system because it feels more tactical in a turn based setting. You never knew in BG2 if you had to run a party member across the screen how many rounds in the combat log were going to play out. In this every movement can be calculated as an action point along with my other attacks and abilities which is far more precise.

While Dragon Age Inquisition had great cutscenes, it felt short on the turn based gameplay, this seems to have the best of both worlds.

Also, skills! All the skills from DnD seem to be tied to the environment as I mentioned with jump and climb, it looks like they have tried to evolve the usage of skills beyond situational conditions at a specific point and incorporated it more into the environment.

I'm also very curious to see the in depth crime system they mentioned, as being a rogue and trying to be a true thief was usually underwhelming because there wasn't any nuance in being a criminal and having a reputation, I'm reserving judgement on that but it seems they have thought about this too.

cerebus23 and Carfax like this.
  9. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I don't think current gen consoles would be able to run Baldur's Gate 3

An interview with the Executive Producer of BG3. I'm pretty sure he's talking out of his ass on that one. That said, it's probably for the best if the game doesn't ship on current gen consoles, as it would only further push back the actual release date. But I'm pretty sure it could run on current gen.

The game is likely to be very CPU intensive due to all the interactivity and simulation, but the turn based combat should be much less intensive than if it were completely real time.

10. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    It was obviously done as a marketing ploy. Baldur's Gate is exceptionally well known among PC gamers and D&D enthusiasts alike. Although it has no relation to the Bhaalspawn saga, it takes place in Baldur's Gate and other locations in and around the Sword Coast.

Personally I don't have a problem with it. In the end, Baldur's Gate is just one of the large cities in the North of Faerun, along with Neverwinter, Luskan and Waterdeep.

The Bhaalspawn saga is over with. Time for a new adventure in Baldur's Gate! :D

11. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    This is a good post. I tried to write something like this myself earlier, but as my only experience with D&D is through playing CRPGs, I don't have the knowledge to fully describe the challenges and limitations that CRPGs have had with implementing various D&D mechanics.

In this, BG3 will be legendary I have no doubt. WotC could not have tapped a better developer than Larian to head this project. They have the talent, ambition and resources to pull this off and make it the most faithful adaption of a D&D ruleset ever seen in a video game.

The amount of permutations this game will have will be STAGGERING. The player's guide will be hundreds of pages long to be sure.

12. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    yep, time is definitely a factor.

in general Baldurs Gate was not a big impact on me in its time. turn based games i can only think
    about Heroes II & Heroes III that i really grind for tons of hours.

the latest videos looks very interesting, but having only turn based combat is very specific crowd-aimed formula.

shoja likes this.
  13. From what I saw it's a bit more ambitious take on Divinity. Even though I expected something more "different", I'm fine with that. Divinity 2 is very good game and I believe BG3 will be great as well.

14. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    They mentioned they are going to have a lot more 'popcorn' fights (easy fights that build confidence to make you feel strong). They used the example of fighting some goblins. It should not be an intensive party-wipe encounter. In a lot of DnD adaptations even comparably weaker encounters could be downright painful to fight through. So I think they have taken this into consideration for people who want a more story-centric experience and don't mind some challenging encounters, but not EVERY encounter draining you of every resource.

15. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Let's get real here. All of these mechanics and dialogue heavy CRPGs are time sinks. I bought Pathfinder Kingmaker shortly after it released in 2018 and I still haven't beaten it, mostly because I have a full time job and a family with 4 kids. The game also has no respect for your personal time. Whether it's resting, travel or the unfolding of the main plot, it's innately time consuming and laborious.

And that's fine. You have to know what you're getting into. If you don't have the patience or personal time to play these types of games, then don't play them.

Even if BG3 was RTWP it would still be a huge time sink because of the game's massive size, scope and complexity. They have over three hundred developers working on this game at Larian including the ones that are sub contracted. That a lot of people for this type of game, so you know it's going to be absolutely huge and extremely detailed.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020

16. Bond!JamesBond!

Bond!JamesBond! Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    i don't care much if it's turn based because from my experience there's more strategy involved.
    this is so simplistic.

KissSh0t likes this.
  17. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    sure its fine. time consuming games are supposed to be time consuming games. im just mentioning the turn base combat
    as a drawback in my own eyes. it doesn't reflect anything on the game quality.

about that game you started in 2018.. that's very different for each person. if we're talking about single player
    games, i can't do that. im having a very hard time to start something and not sinking into it until im done with it.
    games that i intend to play but lack the time for it - stays on hold. very individual. BG3 looks very nice so far, than
    again BG series had lesser impact on me than other old games like Diablo, Half-Life and Fallout.

18. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    But this isn't supposed to be a newer Divinity 2. It's supposed to be a Baldurs Gate PC game - not a Divinity game with the Baldurs Gate title in there.

When I watched the video, my first impression was: this is a D&D themed Original Sin, but not BG3. At the very least I would have expected a user interface that harkens back to the look and feel of the old games, and not just a quick reskin of OS2.

Also, the parts that didn't look like Original Sin reminded me a lot of Dragon Age: Origins (i.e. the cinematic dialogue or the camp). These are actually bits where Original Sin would have been closer to the original, and I am somewhat worried that the depth of characters and companions that was conveyed though BGs writing cannot be reached when every bit of dialogue needs to be acted out and motion captured.

But my initial impression still remains: this feels like Original Sin in a slightly different setting. Graphics look very similar, colour palette very similar (super colourful at that) - I waited 20 years for this game and it looks like crap, honestly.

I noticed the spellcasters in gameplay were lacking in complexity with their spells. There were no verbal, somatic or focus components, and that's pretty disappointing. That may change, but this is first impressions video which is supposed to WOW us, and it didn't wow me, nor (apparently) many others on the Baldurs Gate forums.

19. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    I think anyone expecting BG3 to be another iso RPG with a small facelift were not setting the right expectations. If you want those games go look at Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny etc.

I would have been extremely disappointed if they did nothing to advance the formula for such a big AAA title.

Also if you think the game is just a newer divinity 2 then maybe you need to go read a DnD book -- the rulesets are completely different. Base attributes, talents, spells... to try to say it's a facelift on divinity 2 is just intellectually dishonest. If one of your biggest gripes is the HUD, I mean... c'mon. It's obviously a placeholder.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    theres no way to stay as true to the ruleset as possible without going down the turn based route.