Dithering option?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Whiplashwang, Mar 3, 2018.

1. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090
    For those who have issues with the lagom banding, just install this software even if you don't have a hardware colorimeter calibrator

https://displaycal.net/

just install it, in the first tab, select go online for colorimeter info or something, select your montor, close the windows and leave it there, it wont work at the begining but it will correct the gradients and your images will look clean

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    They don't have banding. Because they use FRC. That's the whole point of FRC.

Enterprise24 likes this.
  3. Enterprise24

Enterprise24 Active Member

GPU:
    1080Ti FTW3 S2716DG
    Someone ask me about dithering on 1903. He said that he had BenQ PD3200Q (8 bit + FRC VA panel).

4. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    You can use reshade's deband to get rid of it in games.

Smough likes this.

5. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    That's how I got rid of the banding in your screenshot actually.

6. Enterprise24

Enterprise24 Active Member

GPU:
    1080Ti FTW3 S2716DG
    Reshade deband can fix banding in games. Potplayer + MadVR can do the same thing for video. But nothing can fix banding on desktop or web browsing except dithering.

7. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    DVI to DVI cable (thick DVI-D) GTX 1060 and 2333T C-PVA. W10 1709 Desktop has no banding (lagoom and png test file check same). SPlayer and Microsoft Video player had banding, then I used MPC-HC with madVR (huge fan), it made it like same with desktop (no banding), so there was a problem with those video player softwares. Games also have no banding but in some cases where the engine is at fault like RE:7 I had banding, and also in Mercury map (blue sky) of BFV but not in the vanilla maps, I have banding. You cannot fix what is not broken, sometimes devs screw graphics in favor of HDR and in normal displays it looks worse, which I think the case for RE:7 and new maps of BFV. Just incompetent developer or maybe an intended behavior? Who knows.

I'm not using anything any injections like reshade etc. (not even for altering the intended look of the games) No gamma or color alterations in nvidia, nor in the panel have been made (all factory which is quite natural until someone use colorimeter and make it a bit better). I do not need the linux nvidia driver dither option either, which I think no one should if you use windows and thats why nvidia will never released a toggle for it in the first place.

If you connect a TV with HDMI, to treat it like a monitor, make sure you set full RGB and normal/high hdmi levels on both ends and set TV to PC mode, also set the color to warm, movie mode etc. which will give the intended look of the content (correct settings varies between manufacturers so check out web), as I said even using colorimeter if you have money to buy, would be even better.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  8. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I think most people who find this thread know how to help prevent banding.
    Dithering is not the end-all be-all, but it is a useful tool. And I can't think of a good reason why we shouldn't have that tool in the toolbox.

Smough and Enterprise24 like this.
  9. hemla

hemla Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    What about new 1909?

10. Kamil950

Kamil950 Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 4GB
    Maybe some of you have color banding etc. in games and some applications because you are using some ICC profile in Windows?

Read 'Games misbehaving' part from article from link below.

https://pcmonitors.info/articles/using-icc-profiles-in-windows/

Short fragment of this part:

11. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    This has been addressed already. The basic ask here is for the option for games that that exhibit banding.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  12. Kamil950

Kamil950 Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 4GB
    Is dithering on AMD GPU works also without ICC profile?

Why somebody here has color banding in Battlefield 1 with AMD Vega 56 without Reshade (but with Reshade's deband in other post there are no or less banding)? https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/dithering-option.419748/page-4#post-5713810

Is it worth to buy in future other AMD GPU for dithering instead of Nvidia if I do not use ICC profile?

I don't understand why in for example monitor AOC 24G2U/24G2 (6-bits per subpixel plus dithering, IPS, 1080p, 144Hz) in review below in Lagom tests for example 'The greyscale gradient appeared smooth without obvious banding or dithering. Some temporal dithering was evident upon close inspection, but it was very well-masked.'. They wrote 'Our test system runs Windows 10 and an Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti connected via the supplied DP cable. Additional testing was performed using an AMD Radeon RX 580 and using HDMI, although observations for this table didn’t vary significantly between GPUs or inputs.'

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-24g2u-24g2/

So is no color banding possible on Nvidia or it depends on source material (like some games with bad colors) or what?

13. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    To completely eliminate banding everywhere it is not possible anywhere because the games themselves can produce heavy banding, e.g. Witcher 3 with clear sky. This is likely due to them using wrong arithmetic for parts of their rendering.
    Deband filter only mitigates this and it generally works worse for games than for video. Though it can be really helpful regardless if you can live with the loss of detail.

Calibrating colors should be done with a display which has a LUT >8 bit (lots of crap displays don't), video driver or OS probably don't use sufficient precision for this. Dithering helps only when higher bit depth is converted to lower.

14. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    What the actual f***... Did you just really registered at these forums to display this pathetic fanboy behavior? I want these proofs of thise supposed superior image quality from AMD. Also considering the fact you have an ancient GPU, as your profile indicates, I don't think you are even in position to judge anything from nVidia. Do you own a Pascal or newer GPU?

15. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56

16. hemla

hemla Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    Does it work on Pascal GPU and how it's different from old registry trick(as it has same bugs - ie. it stops working after sleep etc.)?

17. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    Yes, my GPU is a GTX 1070. Apparently it uses NVAPI rather than the registry to turn on dithering.

18. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    With 451.22 WDDM 2.7, I don't notice dithering breaking anymore after automatic display suspend or OS suspend to RAM, as there definitely is less banding with dithering enabled. Though for whatever reason, suspend still introduces a slight amount of banding, which entirely disappears after logging out and in again (forcing proper LUT via Calibration Tools).
    What a mess this Windows OS is...

@ManuelG Though it would be nice if dithering was enabled by default for 8 bpc. AMD does so on Windows and Nvidia also on Linux Xorg. Windows Nvidia currently only enables it by default with 10 bpc and some corner cases (e.g. fullscreen exclusive program running in 10 bpc on a 8 bpc display).
    As a result, the Windows 10 night light transition effect causes a ton of banding when toggling it with Nvidia and 8 bpc display, while it does not on AMD.

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no thanks, if you want dithering it can be an option hidden somewhere on the colour page.

20. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    I don't agree. The banding missing dithering causes with night light or ICC profiles likely can be noticed by many more people than any side effects of dithering. Temporal dithering should even be unnoticeable on a proper ~108ppi display with 8 bpc. There is a reason why AMD and Nvidia Linux devs decided that way. Those 24" 1080p 6 bpc + FRC displays should be noisy as hell in comparison. Of course I wouldn't be against an official option to turn it off.