Apple bid to avoid $440 Million infringement penalty fails.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by HeavyHemi, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Meh, their SoC's are still miles beyond anything qualcomm is doing + battery/camera on their phones is arguably better than any android device.

Also while Pixel phones may not have as many, their fanboy's are equally as annoying as iPhone ones. The pixel subreddit is brainwashed as far as im concerned.

I can't stand iOS but if they sold a iPhone running Android i'd buy it in a heartbeat.

2. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I don't know about the camera, but battery life is nowhere near the best:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/smartphones-best-battery-life,review-2857.html

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I guess I meant towards android phones i'd want to buy - I didn't know the S10 Plus was up there though so that's definitely nice. I don't really consider the midtier SoC phones with super batteries an actual phone i'd want but yeah.

4. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    It's not just iOS that I don't like, but the hardware limitations as well. My old phone was an S8+ and it had 4 GB of RAM (same as iPhone 11), which I found far too limiting. Even if iOS is less demanding on memory, modern apps and games can be quite large (not unusual to see them using 1.5+ GB of RAM). My current phone is a Note 10+, which has 12 GB of RAM, and it makes a world of difference (I can now run multiple instances of a demanding game while listening to Audible or streaming a movie). An iPhone would be okay for running a single app at a time but my needs are far more than that - I use my phone like I use my PC, to do many things at once.

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Android has and always had terrible memory management. Devices like the Note10 has so much ram because there are literally so many services and features running stock through Android, then on top of that all of the Galaxy services running all at once. My Pixel 3 that has 4gb of ram which is completely stock Android and also has a coprocessor to take some of the load off(as recent iPhones do as well to help with memory and cpu usage), but I can tell you from experience I haven't had any issues with multitasking or high usage applications. iOS is not only very efficient in memory usage, but also in parking applications and caching.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  6. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    You say fanboys. However, in my world it's fangirls (fanwomen?). Most guys I know aren't particularly attached to any particular brand, but, the women in my life are absolutely all about Apple, specifically iphones (the specs means nothing, just as long as it's the latest one). It's definitely a status symbol, as important to them as the handbag they're carrying.

7. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I don't know if I would say iOS is more efficient - I think it's just more limited than Android. It focuses on doing particular things very well whereas Android is a jack of all trades (master of none). At any rate, no matter how efficient the OS is, I can't imagine a 4 GB device being able to juggle two apps that take up 1.5 GB of RAM each without needing to kill one in the background at some point (especially when streaming music or videos as well).

Yes, it would include girls as well. I know a couple of girls who are like that - even after they realized the benefits of Android they still cling to their iPhones. I remember one of them commenting (in an admiring manner) how I value functionality above all else. Then she went back to texting on her iPhone. :p

8. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    No to both of those. Camera is leading edge, but not "better" than any android device. There are areas it does better/best in, and there are areas it doesn't. No one holds this crown as no manufacturer is better then another in all situations.

As to the battery, thats just downright not correct at all and i don't even know where to begin on that one.

9. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Battery seems like a lottery to me. I have iPhone 6 Plus for 5 years and battery is solid. While people around me struggling to have their newer iPhone battery last for a day and have sudden shutdowns (with bluetooth and other things disabled).

I appreciate the simplicity and well designed products from Apple, however it's not without software issues like freezing and others.
    If I didn't have PC and only had to rely on my mobile phone, that would probably be Android.

Aura89 likes this.
  10. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    If I had to give a positive for Apple, then, it's their musician oriented apps. They're superior to Android, although I can see on my 9T Pro that android music making apps are getting better. However, all the big names are on Apple.

11. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Actually the point was they are a PATENT TROLL entity IMO and just about everyone else. They apparently made some 10's of thousands in profit outside of their patent troll portfolio. I do not know what you are arguing. I am certainly NOT focused on their one failed product.

12. Apple products used to have a Halo around them; more so when Steve Jobs was CEO; less so now that Tim Cook is. The right to repair movement is evidence of this as are the Courtesy Apple-Care Repair programs that were issued for the 2012 HD ribbon cables, Unibody Macbook Bottom Cases & the Butterfly keyboards for the Retina Macbook Pro 2017 upwards laptops. Those were relative to public (customer) outcry. Evidence of a Halo no longer being around Apple products. The beginning of the end for Apple's mobile device flagship the iphone's stranglehold on the market was marked by a big hit for investors. After the market had closed on Feb 23rd 2015 Investors would lose nearly $240 billion worth of Apple holdings. The following months would continue to showcase loss of market share for the iPhone. Sources below. I point out these things only to show that Tim Cook has changed things for Apple. While Apple recovered from that loss in 2015 (somewhat) where they may have once been on the facetrack to had beaten Amazon; they no longer are - as now Amazon holds a 1 trillion market value.
    I completely agree with this. It is only getting worse.
    "Fanboys" defend any company to no ends.
    The iPhone 3GS, the predecessor to the iPhone 4, had the exact same screen size. I do not recall those events.
    Yes, Apple has developed good SOCs out of partnerships that were laid out in the past; biting the hand that feeds them won't help. Tim Cook is a moron.
    Iphone cameras have historically been consistently ahead of the competition on average excluding the one off company here or there that'd develop an exceptional Android or such. The iPhone XR is consistent in this regard, 63MP Panorama isn't bad at all aside from the spec sourced lenses etc.
    This I agree with, I didn't in the past but within the last ehh 5/6 years I feel like Microsoft and others have become far more competitive and Apple is less appealing to many consumers (an iPhone in everyone's hands); they've accessorized more and sold products you can buy accessories made by designer brands. Kate Spade was one of the first and remains a very popular one to this day.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2020
  13. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Umm....Where have you been regarding Apple and their advertising as THE status symbol?

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  14. Oh that! we were referring to eh. Well yes fair enough. I suppose I get where one could go with that famous ad. I suppose I just meant to point out that I'd been noticing some buying their products less than others. Also that Apple did get into partnerships with Designers to market their products more recently far as accessorizing.

As for where I've been? Well - clearly under a rock ... underground better yet :cool: (Waiting with my many wares and stocks of canned goods for the Zombie Apocalypse haha)

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You just seem to have the belief that any company that defends patents that they hold, are patent trolls......