GPU fans revving up and down

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by droopy_ro, Feb 17, 2020.

1. droopy_ro

droopy_ro Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti MSI

This is an issue i am having for about a week now. The GPU( Palit GameRock RTX2080) fans spins up, then down, then up, down and so on.

As you can see in the clip above, temperatures are fine <70ºC. It only happens in games and other 3D applications, and it gets loud at 3000 rpm.

I have had the GPU since October last year, the system is clean of dust as i dust it every 3 months or so and the case has dust filters.

It had the same behavior on an Z370 board and on my new B450 board.

Things i tried:

- reinstall Windows

- an older driver version(used DDU)

- installed MSI Afterburner and set a custom curve and a fixed rpm

- uninstalled MSI Afterburner and RTSS

- tested in Valley bench, Borderlands 2, ArmA 3 and Dirt Rally 2.0

- switched from BIOS 1 to BIOS 2 and back

WTF is going on ? i never seen anything like it, if a GPU is hot it spins up and stays there until a low temperature is reached, it dose not bounce like that.

I will try a very old driver, 3xx or whatever the oldest RTX 2080 driver i can find when i get home and uninstall GeForce Experience.

Did you experience something similar, how did you fix it ?
    Thanks.

2. Hyderz

Hyderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    is your gpu dusty? getting enough air?

3. droopy_ro

droopy_ro Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti MSI
    As i said above and as you can see in the video, no and yes :)
    I only found one old thread, with a similar problem, a GTX770 that was RMA'ed and had a defective "fan control chip".
    I will RMA mine too and see what the shop says.

4. andries

andries Guest

GPU:
    Galax 2080 ti
    Are you familiar with repasting a gpu? Maybe give it a shot. I had the same problem when I did not use enough thermal paste. Problem resolved after I properly repasted it with enough thermal paste. Coincidentally it was also a Turing gpu, rather use a little more than to little.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

For what ever reason, your GPU fans are ramping up to 100% when your GPU temp hits ~62C. Either you have a setting somewhere that is causing this or the fan control on the GPU is defective.

droopy_ro likes this.
  6. andries

andries Guest

GPU:
    Galax 2080 ti
    Weird thing is, my card did not get overly hot when it did the same thing, at about 75c the fans span up and down. Could be any of these reasons though. When I removed the cooler to repaste the card, one corner of the die did not have any heat paste on.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  7. droopy_ro

droopy_ro Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti MSI
    It was a fresh Windows install on a new motherboard. I RMA the card about three days ago, waiting for an answer from them. Thanks anyway.

8. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    I encountered something like this, or say: I still encounter it in theory ...

I own no NVIDIA, but a Vega64 from Powercolor.
    Had to do a fresh install last week and after starting the first game after say 1 minute of gameplay I was greeted with a noisy sound: My GPU's fans spinning full speed.
    I almost went crazy and immediately checked temps just to see the card was hovering at about 70 degrees celsius, just 5 degrees more than the "zero-fan-feature", which is (de-)activated at 65 degrees.
    I used the newest drivers and didnt want to go through the trouble of DDUing the drivers and testing each version one by one, so I installed MSI's Afterburner (sidenote: as a German I LOVE this title for obvious reasons :D) and went to setup a custom fan curve.

What should I say? Problem solved! Fans are silent and temps are a few degrees more (say 75 instead of 70) but no insane 3000rpm fan anymore. :)

Good luck. ;)

9. andries

andries Guest

GPU:
    Galax 2080 ti
    I am not so sure, doesn't sound right. I would try to repaste and reseat the cooler heatsink. If that doesn't fix it, rma it. It is not normal, certain area on the gpu might be getting warmer than it should.

10. droopy_ro

droopy_ro Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti MSI
    You loose your warranty if you re-paste your card. It might work in the USA, but in Europe we have those stickers on the screws that hold the cooler down.

11. andries

andries Guest

GPU:
    Galax 2080 ti
    Oh that sucks, never had that problem before, I am from South Africa btw. We have have all the major brands here, only some gpu's come with warranty stickers, non I personally encountered, you have to really mess up the re-pasting for them to void your warranty. Hope you get your gpu sorted, best of luck.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    droopy_ro likes this.
  12. droopy_ro

droopy_ro Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti MSI
    I got a refund for the card. They did not tell me what was wrong, but most likely it was the fan controller on the card. Thanks all.

13. andries

andries Guest

GPU:
    Galax 2080 ti
    Cool man, happy you are sorted.;) This might be off topic but I need to know, what is the fan controller exactly? Because I know the fan speed on the graphics card is controlled via the bios, so it's a software controller right? So does this mean your bios got screwed, or the physical plug on the card itself?

droopy_ro likes this.
  14. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    [​IMG]
    But integrated on the PCB.

droopy_ro and andries like this.