Microsoft talks Xbox Series X Specs - 12 TFLOPs - H/W Accelerated Raytracing - HDMI 2.1

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Pretty nice that they are pushing VRS - seems like a pretty good tech when used properly. Will also indirectly give an advantage to Turing owners over Pascal/Navi.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Of all the talk that say one thing that actual interested me, and is something all consoles should do going fowards, it BC for the all generation. Xbox can do this. alot easier then Sony cause the whole Cell cpu. that was in the ps3. even then it requires them put effort to it.

I want console to let me play my whole collection reguardless of the generation. That is huge selling point for me and one main reason why I still pretty much game on PC

XP-200 and Brasky like this.
  4. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    That is 20% more flops than a 5700 XT. If this is true RDNA2 is going to be better than I expected. Certainly more power efficient.

OnnA likes this.

5. Xron

Xron Guest

GPU:
    gtx760
    Being 20/30% faster than Rx 5700xt might get Xbox X Series console near the level of rtx 2080/2080Super... That would bring true 4k gaming to consoles, especially with their optimizations.

I hope that Ms will release Vr headset for Xbox atlast, because having a console of this power level, with ~underclocked 3700x cpu and ~rtx2080 gpu performance as a setting stone would be enough for next gen Vr...

The biggest issue with todays Pc Vr headsets is how widely spread consumer pc power levels are... from gtx 1060/rx570 (needed for Vr) to rtx 2080ti and if devs could get the power level in console as MS is promising us, it would bring us to the next level of immersivness.

6. sofyodz

sofyodz Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1070ti
    I DO NOT BELIEVE IN THIS STORY OF12 TFLOPs BECAUSE THE PRICE OF THESE CONSOLE MUST BE BELOW 500$ ... AT THIS PRICE YOU CAN HAVE ONLY CG AT
    12 TFLOPs IMAO.
    thanks google translate;)

7. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Being an owner of a 1080ti, its a little odd seeing a console coming out so soon after that is going to beat it, well least technically in pure horsepower.

But considering its a console, developers have always been able to bring out the max with the tech they are using, Though I worry a bit about the price of this. No way they're going to make this 500 bucks or less right? unless MS don't care about the loss (least a big loss, i know sony has in the past take a little loss which each console) I'd like to assume 700 bucks plus for this and reckon they would still take a loss.

The 120 FPS seems interesting though, but think only a few TV's can make use of it like the LG 2019 OLEDs i believe have that option, Must be at 1080p mind you?

8. kings

kings Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    OnnA, Loobyluggs and DocStr4ngelove like this.
  9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I don´t believe that the console is going to be this powerful, at least in real life. They are probably exagerating to create more hype. Of course i could be wrong.

10. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Will you believe it when it makes your card look weak?

11. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    That AMD Direct X Raytracing is something not exist right now.. we now have only Nvidia ones, so we will see.. it could be good, it could be bad one.. To be sure, console would be again much closer to PC - because if you dont have 4k TV you would be able to get more fps and more raytracing i guess.
    Jaguar pseudo slimmer 8 cores was bad one, i thing that with proper 8 cores, they could make some really great things.. we already have enough RAM (it was always main flaw of consoles) and with some SSD or even NVME drivers - other major flaw - very slow I/I would be solved too.
    But main problem for MS, where really games.. and that which would force you buy it.. otherwise it could be really only.. budget gaming box, what is nice too for children etc.. i personally prefer one machine for everything and have possiblity to quickly switch between gaming and other stuff.. unless will console support more monitors, i will be still crippled.. You still can watch youtube on mone monitoring / read some game info etc.. and game on second. Its funny how pro gamers / reviews / achievement hunters.. play with console and notebook not their lap.. - not ergonomic at all.

12. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Well, this thing is basically a PC masquerading as a console so not too surprised by its capabilities. We'll have to see how it actually performs but things look pretty good so far.

Am I the only one who thinks that PC gaming has come to a standstill? Although CPU power has increased enormously most games don't utilize it, and GPU power hasn't increased much at all (and might have even regressed in terms of performance per dollar). 4K gaming and 120+ FPS used to be the preserve of PC gaming but that gap has narrowed considerably. I just hope next-gen GPUs are way more powerful.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Doesn't seem that hard to do honestly.

You can get a 5700XT for $350 and it's already 10tflops. Console contract will crush the price down even further and all you need is 20% more performance.

Also I'm almost willing to bet the consoles will be ~$600 this gen or sold purposely at a loss.

I don't see why it couldn't be other resolutions. The LG's support QHD and my 1080Ti can do most games at 120fps in QHD. In fact it can play a lot of older games at 4K at 120fps and part of the selling point is that this thing goes back and plays 360 games at increased resolutions.

OnnA and alanm like this.
  14. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    Thinking this will probably be like $999 or something ridiculous.

15. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well they have come out and said it's going to be 12 T-flops, which puts it above the 1080ti, least theoretical power. But it's more about how much they can pull out of it on console, if you look at the PS4 PRO, games like spiderman and God of war, have no reason to look that good and run as well as they do (locked to 30fps) but considering the power of the console it is quite outstanding. The new techniques they are looking to do to improve FPS is also quite crazy with rendering the game at different resolutions at once depending on the location of the screen, DLSS is interesting too, and all the other methods they're looking to push forward in the up coming years.

I just worry about the cost D:

16. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Sorry poor wording, the LG OLED's far as i know can do 4k 120hz (not sure if its true120hz mind you) I meant its likely the games produced will have to be at 1080p to be hitting the 120fps, or something like 1440p-1600p upscaled if they go that direction. we know from the 2080ti that it's hard to push 120fps on modern games at 4k, so doubtful many games will do that.... maybe indie games?

Be interesting to know if older games can be pushed at a higher FPS, though i am sure many are locked due to engine

17. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    We still dont have any device that can send 4:4:4 4k 120hz to the LG OLED (they say it will work, but the test is once devices can push that), but yea its true 120hz @1440p. The nice thing is they support gsync, so you wouldnt technically even need to hit 120, you could push like 4k 80-100hz variable and the display would handle without tearing and it would be beautiful.

And when 3080ti comes, it should be able to do 4k 120hz (i hope, lol). Right now 2080ti can't, even if it could push higher framerates, because it's HDMI 2.0b :(

18. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I'm hoping the 3080ti will have 2.1 extra reason to get it....just need to get a new TV then :p though will have to see if the price is reasonable when they release

19. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It's time for CGI quality gaming.

20. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I think 4K should be possible.
    By end of the day, it's developers who design game for the specific product (Xbox / PS5) it mind, so they can tweak game to run smoothly on 4K resolution.
    Devs can't do above for PC, cause everybody got different PC specs.

Still, I gonna stay with PC, since there more games I am interested in are available on PC and yet not on consoles.
    Not interested much in AAA game titles.