AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 20.2.1 driver download & discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    You deserve it :)

2. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    It's mostly reported for Navi cards, Vega only a few reports and almost none for Polaris.

3. MaestroBayten

MaestroBayten Member Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 6950xt
    Well that was not the answer i was seeking for but thank you?

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Small depth of field effect around the weapon I assume, guessing the developers optimized it a bit and oops it broke so it'd need to be patched most likely unless AMD and NVIDIA can fix whatever precision or rounding issues were introduced probably at a slight performance cost I'd imagine or the developers wouldn't have tampered with said effect in the first place.

Can be seen in some games like Far Cry 4 too so I assume it's a type of depth of field shader and it got optimized to be faster but there's some issues due to shortcuts with some errors in how the effects looks as a result but it should be faster however you would measure this, ideally a sort of quality setting would allow weaker GPU's to reduce it and higher end GPU's to retain the full quality but apparently it just got lowered overall.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Mathematical calculations and all sorts of interactions like the depth buffer and whatever else and my own lack of mathematical skill what so ever really but I can sorta tell what it's supposed to be and that it seems a bit off likely as a result of making it faster thus less precise and simpler for the GPU to calculate especially in addition to all other effects also going on. :D

MaestroBayten and OnnA like this.

5. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Was sarcasm, mostly...)

Anyways, seems you got an answer.

MaestroBayten likes this.
  6. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Yea, not very bright of them...or maybe just too lazy. Like AMD seem to be... :rolleyes:

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Reminds me of Ghost Recon Future Soldier which had the benefit of shipping with a mess of a engine so the shaders had this compiled data and then all the source shader data files in more readable form and every update would tweak (reduce) stuff for ambient occlusion, shadows and other effects in what I assume was a struggle to make the game run better but this time the changes were at least partially comparable in what actually goes into some of these optimizations though not everything is a reduction it can also be a optimization or rewrite that retains quality but is more efficient or faster to not equate every performance gain as some visual quality drawback and balance act even if that's a thing too. :D

Numbers alone don't really say much though, AO and other effects typically run at lower precision with little issue but occasionally visual glitches or small errors do occur.
    Earlier game engines in particular and problems with far draw distances and z bias or how it was called and the resulting imprecise flicker effects and what not.

As to AMD well not much more I can really say that hasn't been mentioned but hopefully we'll have a fun little update for Wednesday or whenever and a hopefully nice long list of fixes to various issues. :)
    (Seems to be the general date for them to release drivers but not always.)

EDIT: Well that and more modern shader techniques can overcome requiring brute force such as I believe Crysis 1 ran with upwards of 512 samples for I think one of the D3D10 enhancements to per object motion blur to reduce glitches and give a smooth effect.

Doesn't say much here though, it's not some fancy bokkeh effect or anything but it does cost a bit and apparently it got optimized but now it either needs to be fixed or it'll be left as is.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  8. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    Vega owner here with black screen issues. AdoredTV reported a lot of Vega owners on reddit posting the same. Went back to 19.12.1 for now.
    And I've heard Polaris has sometimes issues too.... but by far not that much as Navi (or Vega).

I hope the new driver SpajdrEX was talking about will fix that.

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    *raises hand*

Polaris here..

*edit*

Ohh... no wait I'm Ellesmere aren't I...

Guessing there are less because a lot of them have upgraded to newer cards.

10. ms178

ms178 Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    I hope so, too. I had a just a few display mode change related blackscreen issues with my reference Vega which mostly went away with 20.2.1 (I did also test a Gigabyte model recently which had random blackscreen issues). There are a ton of other issues though, some minor and others major. I'd consider weird behaviour with Wattman [not applying set profiles; high idle voltage of around 850 mV on DisplayPort and 950 mV with HDMI at 144 Hz] the latter.

11. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Polaris here (580), never had black screen issue and i'm wondering what all the people are talking about.
    On the other hand many of these reports mention discord while i'm not using discord and i never did.

Strange Times and Undying like this.
  12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Same here. I dont think Polaris have these issues.

13. Synapzes

Synapzes Guest

GPU:
    8800GTS SLI 600/1000
    I can fully say that disabling ULPS has fixed my black screen issues with my 5700XT, no more 19.12.1 drivers for me.

Passus likes this.
  14. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 REF
    I don't have black screens on polaris i'm still on 19.9.1
    but when I play I don't have nothing else in background.. no browsers no discord.. first thing anyone should do is run the game in this way

15. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    No issues on reference Vega 56 (w/ latest Vega 64 BIOS) here.

No blackscreens
    No DXVA issues
    No issues with HW acceleration in Opera Dev/FF
    30/167MHz idle clocks on 144Hz display

I must be lucky (or OS is in great shape here) :)

OnnA likes this.

16. Halfmead

Halfmead Guest

GPU:
    GigaByte 2070 Super
    ULPS OFF does nothing for me, Black screens/crashes to desktop and unresponsive after is happening... RX5600XT :(
    i REGRET having bought this, nothing but trouble since, and i was so happy to finally migrate to full AMD system... Lesson learned i guess (should say, the 15 min to 2 hours i can actually play the card is great performance wise, but.... regret not getting 2060 super or 2070 by now)

17. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    We are the majority BTW, im not having issues also....
    Everyday playing (2-6H or more) in BFV & Forza H4 + some other games.

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You safely install 20.2.1 on the 580, no issues as well.

LocoDiceGR and OnnA like this.
  19. ms178

ms178 Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    If you don't touch Wattman, this issue doesn't show up [I've also seen no issues when using the auto-undervolt feature]. Unfortunately it doesn't stay troublefree if you set your settings manually in Wattman [and I need it to regulate the fans on my Morpheus II manually or my card gets too hot, I also set my custom P-State voltages with Wattman - I could use MSI Afterburner, but that leads to stuttering and stability issues as the card sometimes sits at just 620 mV at idle instead of 750 mV with a -125 mV undervolt]. After a couple of reboots and days of usage you'll notice the higher idle voltage. With older drivers the memory clocks were also stuck at 500 Mhz at idle, at least that bug got fixed with the new Adrenaline.

20. Odin

Odin New Member

GPU:
    AMD Sapphire 290
    vega 56 here

even with ULPS off sometimes i get out of the blue the black screen and reboot once in a while just beeing on the desktop, never got that in a game

disabled the HW acelaration, etc etc

i have 2 monitors, one 144hz 1440p and the other 4k 60hz