AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 20.2.1 driver download & discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 3, 2020.

1. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    :cool:well it's something for something ;):DJ/K

Jackalito likes this.
  2. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Is anyone else noticing that using Auto OC for the GPU provides the highest clock rates on Navi?

Progeny and OnnA like this.
  3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Unfortunately that doesn't work for this error, it's not a traditional blue screen but a problem that somehow causes the GPU to shut down and the system then reboots mimicking a power loss or a protection getting tripped like the PSU's over current mode but that can also happen on very powerful power supplies that wouldn't trigger that even with the types of spikes or issues some GPU's have had now even with multiple cards in use not that Navi here supports Crossfire from my understanding but yeah it results in that it is a more problematic error to troubleshoot and it's tough to log or get any details due to to this error.

Only black screen error that remains after the issues from 19.8.1 to 20.2.1 on my end now and only in a few specific games though I don't use hardware acceleration and DXVK so far has allowed for getting past the issue.
    Theory I have is that something that causes the display driver to act up or crash is not handled well at least for how Navi does things but from the above report it seems this reboot error might not be just for the 5000 series / Navi 10 type GPU models.

But as usual with this problem I'm just not sure about anything, hardware, software, mix of the two or just about anything and it's so random it's very hard to narrow down though seeing how DXVK keeps things going I'm betting on software and D3D11 in particular but I can't find what exactly is causing it plus the various black screen issues could all be down to various driver quirks and then just handled differently though causing a restart / temporary shutdown is a odd one in particular.

EDIT: Come to think of it though perhaps the issue from the Polaris 570 is a blue-screen I forgot if the OS lists those first or just reboots immediately unless the setting to not automatically reboot is first deactivated.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    rafaelluik likes this.
  4. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It might be that it avoids the other modes having boost being a bit conservative and you're not trying to force Wattman to follow a manual set curve of clock behavior and voltage scaling so perhaps it avoids these issues with the only minus being that you get the full 1.2v but it's not a problem long as the GPU can be cooled to where boost performance isn't affected.

EDIT: Well conservative might be a bit incorrect but the driver software is by default locked to ~2100 Mhz and then the system will generally scale a bit less so -50 to -100 even with voltage to the GPU core and power to draw.

Thus a result around 2000 Mhz to 2050 and only if the GPU can keep the core / shader clocks up depending on how the title in question scales.

Which is similar to the default settings but due to said requirements mainly on power draw modifying the power draw slider to 20% or so might be needed first to avoid dips possibly more depending on GPU and overall binning and such.
    And the bios defaults for this from 180 to 190 to 200 or higher depending on the type of 5700 XT model. (It varies a lot after all.)

EDIT: Think the power limit is available for the auto modes too come to think of it allowing some improvement to scaling should it be possible to push clocks higher without dropping to 1800 - 1900 due to being power limited.

Eastcoasthandle likes this.

5. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    That's not what happens. What happens (used to happen to me) is the GPU gives up, monitor loses signal and the system locks up while the audio continues playing like normal (not in a loop). It's not a BSOD. There won't be auto-restart.

rafaelluik likes this.
  6. MaestroBayten

MaestroBayten Member Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 6950xt
    Had yesterday a Blackscreen while watching a series and on the other Monitor browsing.
    It frozee and tried almost 2 min to find the Monitors signal and after that it got me a BSOD.
    Just switched from 20.1.3 to 20.2.1 and starting to make problems.
    Tabbing out of games takes longer and also interrupts audio for a few seconds.
    Its getting pretty annoying owning an AMD card...as soon the new gens comming out ill swap my Vega 64 LE for something else.

7. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    @MaCk0y @JonasBeckman
    That was information mainly for others, who forget to disable auto restart when BSOD can happens as not everyone is aware of that :)

JonasBeckman likes this.
  8. justdoge

justdoge Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX580 Gaming X
    @SpajdrEX do you know if there is a chance for fix for choppy/crackling audio in relive recordings in next release?
    installed 20.Q1.1 pro enterprise and its the same problem there like with 20.2.1

9. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    No choppy/crackling audio issues have been seen at the upcoming driver for Relive recording.
    If that happens to you even after the updated driver being released, we can investigate :)

10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Try 20.1.4 with PCIe driver 1.0.0.74 (if You have Ryzen).
    NP on my setup with it.

11. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    II can confirm that there is a slight delay alt tabbing out of the game. As well as the harsh ending of audio. But I’ve only seen it out of modern warfare 2019

12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Ah so the reboot is instant then, was assuming the OS displayed the blue screen and then rebooted (Thus giving the user a chance to catch the error and read on what happened outside of using the event manager and log info.) but I guess it happens directly.
    Makes sense I suppose as the system is kinda frozen (To avoid further errors and problems.) been a while since I had to deal with it myself thankfully.

Mostly just trying to figure out how some of this works but eh doubt I'll learn anything more than the ideas and suggestions since this all started so it's basically just waiting and seeing what gets fixed in the newer driver releases and doing some work on the backlog in the meantime ha ha.

13. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Perhaps someone can start a thread asking what applications they have installed that would normally start up with windows 10. Be it automatically or manually.

14. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    If we're looking at the problematic parts like CEF or Chromium you have Steam, Uplay, Origin and also the browser component in the Radeon Settings software itself plus potentially Microsoft Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Opera or builds of these browsers.
    Adding to that there's a lengthy list of software that hooks into the OS in various ways ranging from MSI Nahimic, Razer, Realtek, Corsair iCUE, Logitech Setpoint, Intel MEI and others and many more.
    Next would also be overlays or software like TriXX, Afterburner / Rivatuner and what have you.
    Windows 10 has a number of different processes depending on how the system is configured and depending on settings particularly for 20H1 some of these might be retained on reboot (Which can now be decoupled in 20H1) and also if hibernation or fast boot is activated and processes like the Game Overlay, XBox app and Windows utilities including Defender.

It'd be a pretty lengthy list overall really, I keep a fairly minimalist runtime starting up and shutting down programs as I need them but there's still a good number of running programs and processes. :D
    Plus there's all kinds of other software and tools like Discord, Media Player Classic and a number of different filters or codecs and others like VCE and so on.

Think AMD's settings software is still causing some timing issues if you use the power config utility from a command line or power shell to generate a report unless 20.2.1 fixed that by now but I don't think it did.
    (Might be a bit of a non-issue overall though, goes back to default values once RadeonSettings.exe is off.)

Oh and if you use the standard AMD install you also get the DSEManager stuff and possibly some other extras, default on newer Windows 10 builds is the DCH which lacks this (Audio related something?) plus the paths and such differ a bit.
    (AMD still installs the Radeon Settings app in DCH though despite it probably should be some universal app runtime and not this but maybe Microsoft has become a bit more lenient on how this new fancy mode works and what's allowed where?)

15. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT SWFT
    @all...

When gaming, do you keep a browser open in the background/desktop?

If yes, try closing it.

16. MaestroBayten

MaestroBayten Member Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 6950xt
    I have the newest chipset driver, so i should try the older one? Got a 3900x on the crosshair viii hero.

17. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    If you are describing a thing i used to have in relive recordings then solution or more like workaround is known and tested it myself, works for me:
    in radeon software relive settings enable separate microphone track. Such track can be empty and doing nothing but adding separate empty audio file next to mp4 av file but it does the job and i do not get any odd cracking in video file's audio.

justdoge likes this.
  18. ms178

ms178 Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    @SpajdrEX Speaking of PCIe and Ryzen, since August 2019 all Windows 10 release builds and insider previews show a Code 10 error for the LAN NIC (onboard Realtek) [even during the Windows 10 installation the NIC is not recognized] when having UEFI (default: CSM) and "Above 4G decoding" options enabled (default: disabled) on my MSI B450 Tomahawk [non-MAX]. Just for a brief moment after installing the AMD GPU drivers, the LAN NIC starts to work properly but just until a restart of the PC [with these BIOS settings enabled, I can get a BSOD loop if I install the AMD GPU, RAID and Chipset drivers in the wrong order]. After the restart, the Code 10 error returns and I need to disable either both or one of these BIOS options to get the LAN NIC to work again.

There is also a weird performance regression in Company of Heroes 2 with both of these BIOS options enabled [by around 50%] which also can worked around by disabling one or both of these BIOS settings [usually I disable Above 4G Decoding and enable UEFI]. However not every game shows similar performance regressions, but there might be some subtle stuttering [tested with BF1 and BF5]. I already filed a bug report with Realtek, MSI, Microsoft, Feral Interactive and the AMD Linux driver team and at least the LAN NIC does work on Linux fine with both options enabled. The regression in CoH2 is reproducible on Windows and Linux with these settings though (on Linux also with DXVK/Proton and the native port).

But back to Windows and this particular driver, I noticed with 20.2.1 that Battlefield 5 freezes within minutes when using DX12 on my Vega 56 on the previous Windows 10 Insider Preview [also present in the current build, it hangs right around the Kasserine pass in the intro episode] - there are no such problems with DX11.

19. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Currently using Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi + 3600 + Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT and using Firefox with HW acceleration enabled, no issues alt-tabbing or watching YouTube
    20.2.1 Driver, current chipset drivers, BIOS 1201

20. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Yes, You can at last try -> maby it will work NP then :)