Microsoft offers microcode updates for Intel processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    I won't argue anymore, if that's what you think, then alright. I won't say there aren't other mitigations forced on the O.S, but I am reporting what I've done. I unistalled the mitigation microcode update specifically for Windows 1803, injected the pre-mitigations microcode for Haswell with a tool and that way I get the 22h; which is before any changes in security. I also used InSpectre and reports that there are no mitigations active. CPU performance is optimal at all benchmarks, before it gave lower scores.

I don't want to say you are not right or anything, I may not know about other protections, but at least the main ones are disabled, the ones that report an important performance decrease for some users, which is basically my whole point.

I'll leave it here because I don't want to enter into a debate that will lead nowhere.

2. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    And here you are again with your meaningless insults and yet another rant. I have not invented a single argument for you, that trash have indeed been all of your own efforts. From the moment I told you why your initial post of there being no reported case of the vulnerability affecting a home user was flawed, you took offence and wentangry teenager ,more like a bully actually, and have continued posting your trash.
    You did honestly believe you made a good post, with a clever argument, and felt dumb when pointed out it wasn't as good as you imagined.
    You could have said something like "yes but I maintain that I still don't believe it's actually a threat to home users and will tell others the same", instead you all your posts are more like "wtf you saying moron you low intelligence I'm right stop posting".

You call me a loon, but not once in this thread have you behaved like one normally would in a discussion.
    This is a discussion forum, and even when your opinion or what you believe is a fact differs, you should keep your tone civil and keep it a normal discussion. Not post those angry bullying and insulting rants in belief you can force your will onto others.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Smough and airbud7 like this.
  3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't the OS mitigation taken precedence over the microcode ones and hasn't the performance impact been significantly nullified with newer revisions? It was only a few weeks ago that I was reading an article that one of the newer Windows versions has an updated spectre mitigation that basically reduced the performance impact to zero.

4. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I'm glad Intel is more forthcoming about vulnerabilities.

Some of the mitigation have zero effect on performance others still do, there have been quite a few vulnerabilities now and more every month.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/security-center/default.html

Many are case/software specific, but a good many are hardware and or driver.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020

5. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I think the updated Windows mitigation you're talking about is Retpoline that was enabled by default sometime in spring last year, and had been enabled in Linux even earlier.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    If people didnt release all this info in to wild in first place about all these flaws via every social media possible to have there time in sun and causing panic, none of this would happen cause it wouldn't be public knowledge, blame the people that out the stuff, not companies that have to plug it at the cost of performance, there is always cost for plug a hole/flawbug via software means. Intel is only covering there asses as is MS.

See i dont blame INTEL or MS for all this software pluging of the flaws I blame the idiots that out the info in to public via the many social media outlets. I dont like it that there are hits to performance, but at some time I not gone manual patch these either MS release the microcode and patchs to there OS or i dont get them. cause I dont want to be bothered with this junk. and most of public dont even know bout this stuff in first place or care, but cause this stuff was outed to public via those social media outlets now it alot easier for people with know how to exploit that stuff vs lot less if people if it wasnt outed.

I not defending Intel or MS I have my issue with both.

7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

You mean from the MOMENT YOU CLAIMED something I said was flawed. From that point on, every single argument you have claimed I have made YOU HAVE INVENTED. WTF is wrong with you? Your post is a LITANY of exactly what YOU are trying to do by FORCING YOUR OPINION. Anyone can read your post and see it's a sniveling immature rant accusing me of exactly what you are doing. Should we count the name calling insults in your missive.

Then you have the GALL, DEMANDING I post in a manner you find appropriate. FOAD "You could have said something like "yes but I maintain that I still don't believe it's actually a threat to home users and will tell others the same". Who are you trying to BULLY you little man? That is essentially what I said from the begining which anyone can read which YOU continue to argue. You just kicked the crap out of yourself again. Get help freak. Wow.

BTW, my FIRST COMMENT IN THIS THREAD:
    Actually unless I disable these mitigations, yes to all your questions except system crashes. And at one point, the ucode update completely disabled overclocking on some CPU models. There's significant impacts in newer uarchs. You didn't notice because for the most part you're already CPU limited on your GPU. Depending upon what you're doing, the impact can be over 30%.
    I don't get why you're trying to down play the concerns of others...except perhaps as bait.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  8. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    As I said, every argument you claim that I have invented for you, have indeed been your own. Stop blaming me for that trash. The only one who has constantly posted angry rants are you. My posts have been based on actual facts, yours have just been angry rants to try to bully yourself through this argument.

You never once said that which you have bolded. You commented on the security issue, I said why your argument was flawed, and from that moment, you've been an angry little kid who has posted rant after rant in response because you somehow actually believed you were 100% right and my comment was wrong, and obviously must have thought angry posts would be the way to show everyone that you are right.

Here's your first reply to me in this thread. You can find the rest of your trash yourself, you just make it worse for yourself with each and every of your posts.
    "You'd seem a lot more literate if you actually reflected what my post said and not your attempt to inflate your knowledge level. Do YOU have examples of this being exploited in a home user? I've not seen a single one in my wide reading on the subject. Secondarily, I addressed business risk separately. If you are going to reply to my posts, please make sure you understand them prior to inaccurately portraying them. Thanks."

It's funny that you think it's me who has kicked himself, and you really should take your own advice to heart.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Gents, can you all chill the heck down and get back into the good civilized mode, please? Isn't the world so much better if everybody is a bit kinder and friendly toward each other? Thank you.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its not available to skylake or later.

11. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Retpoline is only available on Haswell and earlier, the performance impact for Skylake is small to non-existent so it doesn't need this performance fix.

12. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I made an exploit where I can delete all your data on your harddrive. But just like the Intel vulnerabilities, you need to be there physically. Also, my exploit requires a sledge hammer.
    ba dum tss

Smough likes this.
  13. Apogee777

Apogee777 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    Hi people - i just did a few simple benchmarks over the last day to resolve to myself the performance hit to my i7-4790k
    and actually i didn't even see the 4790k mentioned in the patch details...
    (although every other Haswell was mentioned, e.g. 4770k)
    but i installed it anyways and here are the results:

CINEBENCH R20 (for those who can't see attached Screenshot)

Keep in mind i only ran these tests once.
    i also have the latest BIOS for cpu microcode

- Before “windows10.0-kb4497165-v4-x64” - fresh reboot Score 1908

- Using “InSpectre.exe” to disable Spectre & Meltdown - reboot Score 1930

- Renabled “InSpectre.exe” to enable Spectre & Meltdown
    - Then Installed “windows10.0-kb4497165-v4-x64”- reboot Score 1946

KB497165.png

Whatever this means is up to you, but i'm happy enough not to disable any patch for performance reasons.

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  14. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Yes, you made claim(s), you did not support your claim(s). You repeated the exact same mistakes again. It is amazing that you repeatedly try to tell me that my OWN POSTS say something they do not. It is not funny, it is sad. Have a nice life.

15. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I actually don't know whether to decide it's fun or sad that you returned to this after almost three weeks only to post more trash.

My claims were true and what you'd consider common knowledge when talking of a two year old vulnerability, which you yourself seemed to give the impression of being read up upon, and even when you got your sources you screamed after, you continued with your trash.

Your posts say exactly what I say they do. That you don't agree only seems to suggest that you actually don't understand what you're writing, and apparently reading too.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020

16. Apogee777

Apogee777 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    We live in a society that thrives on click-bait and sensationalism, and there is nothing we can do about it.

17. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Oh damn, I didn't know people took advantage of others insecurities!
    *cough* religion *cough*