New AMD Certification Entries Hint at Big Navi GPU?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 20, 2020.

1. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    You know AMD is releasing a new product when you start reading negative news about AMD graphic cards.Always amazing timing

2. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Big Navi is said to be much faster than your estimate(unless source?). Also, it is said to be more efficient than the current cards. So... Maybe your precious Nvidia cards will be the power hungry monsters, going by your logic?

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    So was Radeon VII... so was Vega... So was Fury. They were all "said to be" the next NV killers. I would love big Navi to deliver convincingly, if only to knock Nvidia off its perch and have them compete on an equal basis on the pricing front. Remember, big Navi is the same Navi arch, same 7nm process, theres only so much they can do with that without going overboard on the heat/power draw front. Nvidia otoh are going on a new arch, new process which will in all likelihood eclipse big Navi, unless they screw up something bad.

Robbo9999 and Nima V like this.
  4. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Maybe we have different cards in mind... Which card did you mean? Could you provide a source? You do have one, correct?

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-refresh-rdna-navi-graphics-cards-2020/

"Building on that new baseline, AMD will release new RDNA 2 graphics cards in 2020. Based on the 7nm+ process node, with enhanced performance and efficiency, those cards are expected to be high-end options, including the long-rumored “Nvidia Killer,” Navi 21 GPU."

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    Mesab67 likes this.

5. Valkyr09

Valkyr09 Member

GPU:
    GTX 2070 Super
    AMD needs first to sort out the existing issues with the 5700 series and then go to build big navi. I'm talking of the reports that the graphics cards are not screwed properly leading them to overheat.

6. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Ok, let's assume you didn't make an account to bash AMD...and for sure not for Nvidia's sake...

Which vendor doesn't make the cards properly? All of them?

You do understand that AMD doesn't make all the cards, right?

Mesab67, Eastcoasthandle and Undying like this.
  7. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    At this point considering the past misfires in the “this card is gonna kill Nvidia” lineup of AMD GPU’s even the biggest AMD fans should be tepid with expectations. Remember if you keep your expectations low you will be right at worst and elated at best.

8. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Was a counter to his misinformation comment. You could say I have an allergy to blatant bs.

"Remember, big Navi is the same Navi arch, same 7nm process, theres only so much they can do with that without going overboard on the heat/power draw front."

I don't plan on replacing my card this year, and quite possibly next. Not much personal interest outside of the geek factor)

Guess you care deeply about Nvidia... I used to argue about our different consoles with my friend, when I was maybe 14...)

Anyways, time will tell...

9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    It's hard to tell.

Historically, Nvidia has sold better than AMD. Even when AMD had the better product. Now this could be because Nvidia advertised their product more as well as had more partners, but AMD is gaining ground now with names like Microsoft and Sony at least. But let's remember one thing as well, it's not the high end that sells the most. It's the mid range. Big Navi really won't do a whole lot for their sales, just as the 2080 ti doesn't do much for Nvidia compared to their mid range offerings. So maybe we'll see, it'll be exciting.

10. hammadnadeemx

hammadnadeemx Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9-380 2GB ASUS
    I had 3 amd gpus a 7870, a r9-380 and now a 5700xt. I have never seen this black screen bug that is apparently effecting everyone. But i do update all my os, drivers and games so maybe that is why the experience is smooth. I used the the 5700xt on windows 10 for a month and never saw any issue but i hate windows so i switched to manjaro linux. The open source linux driver is so damn good. iIs plug and play. Did not need to configure any thing. And the performance with wine+dxvk is mind blowing. It is time for micro$H1T monopoly to end. Game devs should seriously use vulkan instead of directx because they can target multiple platforms ( stadia, linux, android, windows and mac using moltenVK). Exciting times ahead !

11. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Microsoft doesn't make the drivers for the 5700XT, this literally has nothing to do with Microsoft or Direct X.

12. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Mind-share is supposedly a thing, which you've covered. Also, not like RDNA2 can't be used for lower-tier cards as well. Guessing it will be. AMD could use much better drivers and very competitive prices.

13. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Hmm...where did he say that they do?

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Buildzoid has look at what we know so far about big Navi and how that may translate to reality.

pharma and Maddness like this.
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    buildzoid continues to have no idea what hes on about.

Eastcoasthandle likes this.

16. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Why do you say that. I thought a lot of what he was saying made sense.

17. Nima V

Nima V Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 760 2GB
    AMD fans usually overhype upcoming AMD GPUs and the same is happening to "bigNavi". personally I will be very impressed even if bigNavi reach the same level of 2080ti performance.

This time, AMD does not have the advantage of big node jump to help them improve the performance. adding RT hardware to the RDNA 2 which takes some parts of the die surface area, is not going to help them either. there is a huge gap between 2080ti and 5700xt and it will be a big achievement for AMD if they can fill this gap and at the same time add RT capability to their hardware in such a short time.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Yes not a big node jump, but I should have qualified my words with the term relatively ("big Navi is relatively same Navi arch, same 7nm process"). Wasnt aware of 7nm+, which is an improvement over 7nm, but as you said, no big node jump. And with its presumed 505mm die size, some of that will be taken up by ray tracing parts/cores. So I think twice die size of Navi will not translate into twice the performance, which is what most of the rumor mills were basing it on.

19. PCJack125

PCJack125 Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 Gaming 4G
  20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    While he is technically wrong in saying big navi is the same as current navi, his message was kinda accurate in the idea that, when was the last time AMD GPU's delivered on the hype? The closest (still didn't) can remember in the last decade was Hawaii (and that definitely had it's teething problems).

I don't care which brand my GPU comes from I just want the Best performance for the price I'm willing to spend and low power/heat relative to that performance.(which is why I think the RTX cards are a flop).