Television Discussion

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by stereoman, Apr 6, 2019.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Sounds like I should watch it soon (I already listed it when it came out), but I loved Watchmen for how gritty it was. Thanks for the intel

Repo Man likes this.
  2. All good points - you know perhaps I'll give it a second try & attempt appreciating it more...

Repo Man likes this.
  3. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    A vampire show that isn't specifically targeting women, count me interested.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  4. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    rant deleted

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019

5. Obi-Wan Kenobi Television series confirmed and underway. Actor Ewan McGregor revealed that he had known about the upcoming project for a long time and commented, "It's a massive relief, because for four years I've been having to lie to people about it." See more (IMDB)

The series is to be Directed by Deborah Chow; Chow's resume includes directorial credits among Breaking Bad, Mr. Robot, Tyrant, Turn: Washington's Spy's, Fear the Walking Dead, Jessica Jones, Snowfall & most recent fan favorite - The Mandalorian.

Carl Weathers who played Greef Karga in The Mandalorian had only good things to say of his recent work with Deborah Chow:

“It really came across that she knew what she wanted and had mapped out what this episode was going to be very precisely. As an actor working with so many different directors, when somebody has a great sense of what they want to do, it allows you a lot more freedom and your choices are much more in sync. She took the pressure off of me and the other actors.”

“I don’t want to pour water on that or anything, but to me it isn’t such a big deal. Why is it such a big deal if a woman directs an episode of “Star Wars” and does a great job? She came in and hit it out of the park. Good directors are good directors and it’s high time that we give people a shot who are just good directors and who do a great job.”

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2019
  6. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    Binged watched all 6 episodes of The Bodyguard(Keely Hawes) on netflix, not even 10 minutes in and i was addicted :rolleyes::D

Last thing that grabbed me like that was Chernobyl :)
    Staarted watching Foyles War on itvplayer, very good :)

7. [​IMG]
    Watching Red Dwarf again. Probably watch MASH again afterwards.......new tv is garbage. Yes i am a geezer. Get off my lawn you darn kid.

8. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    MASH? Great :D

Deleted member 271771 likes this.
  9. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    I spy with my little eye something beginning with Smeeeg Heeed :D

10. Was going through re runs of The Wire not long ago

11. Gabriele Coulson

Gabriele Coulson Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1060
    Finished The Mandalorian recently and I gotta say it really revitalized my interest in the franchise because I've been skipping out on all the SW movies that have been coming out in the past years. Heck, I even started playing SWTOR again.
    Anyway, is there any other show out there with a similar vibe? I suppose I'm looking for something sci-fi with some space travel and aliens and other wacky stuff. I've heard of Stargate and Star Trek of course, but they seem like huge franchises that I don't feel like diving into atm. Any ideas? I'd prefer something modern, but feel free to recommend just about anything that sounds remotely similar.

12. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    New season of Fargo coming April 19th. This time it's set in the 50's.

13. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Yes I'm a huge MASH fan also I watch them all the time. SUcks though my main show Supernatural is in it's final season. Can't bitch though 15 seasons ain't bad for a show.

14. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    [​IMG]

:D

15. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Final trailer is out. And there is a familiar face returning. One of Breaking Bad's best characters imo. 3 1/2 weeks to go!

16. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Will you give this show another chance? I don't know if I will.

17. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I'll probably watch it just to pass time, but the show lost me after Season 1.

18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Like Twin Peaks in the 90's, they screwed the pooch by revealing the monster.

I think now, looking back; they had no intention of going beyond their script being a mini-series or, perhaps a TV movie two-parter. That's it.

The plot ended at the end of the 1st season, mostly, so that after that we are left with an examination of the characters, and, truth be told, the characters are not that interesting. Just annoying kids, really. No sense of logic to them, and the failings of the writing are shining very brightly.

Versus:

...which has amazing characters, amazing acting, amazing 'film-noir-in-color' cinematography and the kind of writing that makes actors ache, when they read it.

Check out this scene from the last season (NSFW):

What is great about that scene is that it brought several years worth of plotlines into one, truly great moment.

Stranger Things and their writers have no chance of touching that, not even having the DeLorean time-travel into one of their little scenes would do it...

19. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    After watching Season 3 I had to go back and watch Season 1 again just to remind myself what the show was actually about.
    It was a thriller... It had suspense, mystery and likeable characters. It had purpose to me and I enjoyed it again but at the same time it just reinforced my opinion on the other two seasons, which is my dislike for them.

20. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Watched Altered Carbon S1E1 again yesterday, this time as a first with 4K dolby vision in time to get back into it for S2's release in less than 2 weeks! (This is a reminder.)