Lite-On Power Supply 400/1000 watt

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by fourbanks, Jan 24, 2020.

1. fourbanks

fourbanks Guest

GPU:
    amd 4800
    I wonder if anyone can answer as to what the above power supply really is? its 11 years old and has run perfectly from day one. the reason for asking is that today's CPS power supply is fixed and to have a variable one has got me thinking.
    the manufacturer no longer makes it, unfortunately,

i have just upgraded my graphics card to a 1650 windforce which only needs a 300-watt power supply with a 6 pin connector and that's running fine. I guess I could have gone for a more powerful graphics card say a 400 watt but in an old computer I didn't think that wise in case it turns out that the CPS would malfunction
    the computer in question can be found here

Acer Aspire M7720 instruction manual and user guide
    https://mans.io/item/Acer/Aspire-M7720

thanks in advance for any insight into this power supply

2. Surely it has a serial or part number on it. That would be helpful.

3. fourbanks

fourbanks Guest

GPU:
    amd 4800
    Lite On PS-6451-2 500w 24Pin Power Supply that's what is showing on the power supply but the service manual says 400W ~1000W in stable mode (Acer Assign System Power Unit) ?
    my guess is it's just a standard 500 watt supply?
    anyhow whatever it is has been superb over the past 12 years and has remained fault-free
    there is a picture of the unit here

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263668393441

4. There you go. The info on the power supply is correct, no matter what the manual says. 12 years is asking a lot of an oem power supply. Can a better one that will fit for pretty darn cheap.

5. fourbanks

fourbanks Guest

GPU:
    amd 4800
    its fine for my needs so will keep it. this Acer computer tower of mine the 7720 was very advanced for 2008 and to think that Acer provided no driver/ bios updates for it am surprised its worked as well as it has. if it hadn't been for Microsoft supplying the drivers for windows 10 then it would have failed years ago

6. Hyderz

Hyderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    i'd suggest you clean the psu

7. fourbanks

fourbanks Guest

GPU:
    amd 4800
    i do every 3 months the whole computer looks like brand new :)