New BioWare

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by S.T.A.R.A.C., Feb 16, 2020.

1. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Archetype Entertainment is a game development studio in Austin, Texas led by industry veterans from BioWare and other AAA studios. Founded in 2019, Archetype is an autonomous division of Wizards of the Coast. We are assembling a world-class team to build a multi-platform roleplaying game set in a new science fiction universe.

https://www.archetype-entertainment.com

https://wccftech.com/former-bioware...ertainment-says-bioware-has-become-corporate/

I have talked about this for years, where it leads. Btw, people laughed at me for saying this.
    This is the reason why i don't play and buy shitty games from Bethesda, EA, Blizzard, Ubishit, and other similar corporations.

Keitosha and Kolt like this.
  2. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I don't know who laughed at you, it's not really a controversial idea. As companies become bigger and games cost more money, they will inevitably be forced into safe releases that are going to be mediocre at best. The biggest issue though, is that these companies are publicly traded, so the priority of the leadership is pleasing the board, instead of making good game. That's why we have extra monetization in almost every AAA title.

Loobyluggs and Keitosha like this.
  3. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    Everyone saw that coming from a light year away, I doubt anyone 'laughed' at you or the idea that one day Ex-BioWare employees would end up in another studio, or would start their own. I also called it, many did; it was just a question of time. The only difference from what I myself thought would happen is that they didn't end up making 2D platformers on Steam's Early Access program (well at least that guy at Archetype was lucky enough not to end up like that).

The last 'great' BioWare game was Mass Effect 2, everyone knows that. It's been a long time. I myself didn't even praise ME2 as much as many others did, but it truly was the last overall high quality production game they delivered. The absolute best game they ever made - for me - was and still is Dragon Age: Origins. It's also among my absolute best video games of all time list. Anyway, I wish any and all Ex-BioWare people the very best in the industry if they manage to keep working in it, they all deserve as much as they gave us during the golden years of their company.

Keitosha and Solfaur like this.
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    neverwinter nights 3? please? thanks?

5. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    We are assembling a world-class team to build a multi-platform roleplaying game set in a new science fiction universe

Worth mentioning the sci-fi part. So unlikely to be Neverwinter, not even D&D. Wizards really gave this studio full freedom it would seem.

EA took Bioware and made them make a multiplayer live-service game, Anthem... It's strange to think that it's currently taking Respawn, who came from the super popular multiplayer Call of Duty franchise, to finally teach EA the lesson that singleplayer games like Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order are still in high demand. If only they learned that way-way sooner.

Keitosha likes this.
  6. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    hard to agree. ME3 was still a top notch space drama. yes - i think that ME2>ME1>ME3 in terms of storytelling and general
    quality, but given the time and changes this studio went in its time.. ME3 is nothing less than a 9\10. despite the EA\BioWare
    thing.. i don't think the outcome hurt ME3.

that's understandable. big studious eventually interested in cash flowing. Blizzard is going downhill for years now,
    same as Bethesda. its not surprising at all. for me BioWare went downhill after Andromeda was released. that's
    was the final nail in the coffin.

7. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    the checks the marketing of mass effect wrote could not hold up to the hype of 3.

they built up the idea that decisions mattered going back to the first game, you held the fate of whole races and species in your hands and while playing those quests they put that weight on you.

3 rolls around all that is a line of dialogue during a cutscene, and almost all those major decisions did not even get a in game rendered thing no real send off just toss always.

nm the interview where bioware flogged their own egos about how great and wonderful their endings were that they were unique and special because of the choices and story and their endings would never boil down to color choices......points to the end of and 3 and goes yeaaaa.

gee why did we hate fing 3? it was 80% a great game, graphically and mechanically better. the ending fell off a cliff. lazyness, lack of direction, changing major plot ideas mid stream several times and painting them selves into a corner, and just F them on that Fing star child BS, not indoctrination though it follows the flow of indoctrination to a T, and your character at the end nods at the kid like a retard, makes sense but no bioware nixes that so its just crap story telling then bioware? ok.

the wheels were coming off during the making of 3 and by the end something had failed. and andromeda and anthem and likely whatever next it will be middleing mediocre and pandering because their best days are dead and the lalents gone.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    bleh, then they don't exist to me. o_O

9. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Errrr ... and what's new about this?

Seriously though why bashing Ubisoft? Imho they learned this already and have turned around years ago. Really like what they did with the AC series and all the patches for various games to keep them up to date.

Witcher29 likes this.
  10. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Not true. All of you who bought Diablo 3, DA 2/3, Skyrim/Fallout 4, Far Cry Ubishit crap, and other shitty games, you didn't saw this. If you really saw this, then you wouldn't support it!
    Especially if you bought 16 times more detailed Fallout 76! If you did, then you should be proud!

11. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    Ooook, way to force your opinions on others about what consist of a "shitty" game.

Skyrim, a shitty game? Let me guess, you bought it to get to that conclusion? If you did buy it, then who are you to judge others? If you didn't buy it and you can somehow manage to claim it was "shitty" then you don't know what you're talking about. That's like someone opening their mouth about elected officials without voting. So keep your accusations to yourself.

But you know what I'll jump in, since you seem to be fired-up here pointing at me and everyone else whom apparently 'supported' the downfall of BioWare by buying games that aren't even related to them. Fallout 4 is a thousand times better than Fallout 76, and I for one enjoyed it more than Fallout 3 even without mods. Diablo 3 got much better long ago when they removed the Auction House and the gameplay was improved with Reaper of Souls, sure I prefer Diablo 2 but then again that's not even fair; Diablo 2 is one of the greatest games ever made, no amounts of future Diablo games will ever surpass the significance of D2. You might as well claim that Diablo 5, 6 and 7 will all be shitty, because nothing that might still happen to D3 before the release of D4 would ever make it any better than D2 was anyway. Now, when it comes to Far Cry I myself stopped after Blood Dragon, which itself was a very good parody and nod to 1980s sci-fi and was truly a hidden gem and still is either forgotten or underrated to this day; I'm pretty sure you never played it and judge it anyway. It was much better than the base Far Cry 3 game, and it has a fantastic soundtrack. Anything that followed I didn't touch that (FC4, FC5, Primal and anything else they might have released following Blood Dragon), but then again you probably think I did because apparently you're thinking everyone you're pointing at including me 'supported' what happened to BioWare.

With the above said, now I can agree with Dragon Age 2, although it did have good characters, voice acting and a pretty good soundtrack nonetheless; but obviously that game was rushed out and that's what killed it. There was no way they could have produced a full sequel to something as complex and large as DA Origins in less than 2 years. At the time, however, DA2's dev team still had most of the guys who worked on the first game, so the problem wasn't BioWare themselves, it was EA pushing their sequel out with a ridiculous deadline. It was starting with Mass Effect 3 and DA Inquisition that it was pretty clear that the 'classic' BioWare as a dev team was degrading at that point. But that's my view because I myself hated ME3 (albeit I did enjoy the multi-player a lot; I just hated the campaign), and was ultimately disappointed by DA Inquisition. I did prefer DA Inquisition over ME3 though, but was still disappointed. Then again DA Inquisition was pretty polished and a major improvement over DA2 on many aspects (except some of the characters were better developed in DA2... then again that's my opinion). However, for a lot of people out there who played DA Inquisition thought that it was either very good or pretty solid. Most reviews, including user reviews around are favorable for it. Same with ME3, some people loved it (for some reason, but that's their stuff; to each their own).

Anyway, the big problem here is you're accusing people in general, you're including games in your little list that have nothing to do with BioWare going down the drain over the past couple of years, and you went as far as to include a fuming pile of actual crap like Fallout 76 along side games like Skyrim and Diablo 3 which by comparison are masterpieces. There's very little in this industry that failed as miserably as Fallout 76 save for maybe Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing and you're using that title in your tirade? Seriously man. You're funny, I'll give you that.

Solfaur likes this.
  12. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I would agree that Skyrim is crap. Generally speaking Bethesda has a decreasing quality with their releases. I loved Morrowind and Oblivion was also great, even though they simplified a lot of things. But Skyrim is just boring and I'm not even going to bother with TES6 if they put it on the same gamebryo engine from 1998. Same with Fallout games, F3 was worse than Oblivion and F4 is even worse, as it isn't really an RPG and more like an very average shooter. F76 is great though, to watch from afar that is. I mean I had a ton of fun without even playing the game.

That being said, let everyone play what they want, just for the love of god don't preorder anything, because...

[​IMG]

Kolt likes this.
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    There's absolutely no need for that image.

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    made me realize bethesda game studios hasn't really released a proper video game since 2015.... that's kind of sad.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  15. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    At this point i don't expect anything more than more ports of the TES & FO catalog to the next consoles & handhelds/online apps from Bethesda. The next TES title prob years away with lots of promises, teasers and delays along the way.

fantaskarsef likes this.

16. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Instead of writing this long text you could simply say "i have a very low standards". Skyrim and Diablo 3 masterpieces!?
    One thing i don't understand is how you people didn't notice how every newer game from these big corporations was worse and worse. And it was just matter of time when everything went so wrong. And yes i can judge you because i didn't buy any of these games that i mentioned.
    I did play them long enough to see what they are. For example my friend borrowed me his account to play Diablo 3, and i played it long enough to see that it has nothing in common to earlier Diablo games. It's a piece of crap designed for people with low standards. It doesn't even deserve to be called Diablo.

Btw, these companies are not the problem. People who buy these shitty games are the problem. This is your creation!

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    your standards consistently involving the crap known as cryengine, so theres literally nothing of value to be had from you in discussing what is and isn't good games.

18. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    Or you could have said: "My opinions are the best and I don't give a crap about anyone else".

Also, your ability to read is dysfunctional. I clearly mentioned that Skyrim and D3 were masterpieces in comparison to Fallout 76. I don't think they are masterpieces on their own. There's absolutely no room for discussion if you're using Fallout 76 as an argument on anything. Especially considering that this whole tirade you're on is supposed to be related to BioWare's demise over time - but you're pointing fingers at games and developers that have absolutely nothing to do about that.

The main reasons as to why BioWare 'died' and fell from their glory days is twofold: 1) They couldn't bite the feeding hand, they were under pressure from EA, and EA having no idea as to how the video gaming industry works for gamers and only for investors decided to force BioWare to rush out everything they ever did starting from ME2's mid development cycle and was in full force with ME3 (which itself should have been a game worked on for a solid 5 or 6 years before release); and 2) BioWare's own veterans, the core and the heart of the team's real talents started to leave left and right, what makes a dev team what they are isn't the name of the team, it's the people in the team. So, no, a game like Skyrim or D3 has nothing to do with BioWare's degradation as a quality development team and no, Fallout 76 is not a good excuse to use to claim that it is even partly responsible for what happened to BioWare, heck Fallout 4 wasn't even out yet when Mass Effect 3 was busy being the laughing stock of the industry for about three years prior.

So, yes, by comparison almost any other games in the industry would be a masterpiece next to Fallout 76. Because Fallout 76 came out about 15% completed and resembles a pre-alpha test by high school students day dreaming about one day becoming video game developers. That's like saying that the whole food industry is going down the drains just because McDonalds exist. There's no point in having this 'debate' of yours that you so passionately want to bring here if you're claiming that such games as Skyrim and D3 are merely pieces of crap. They do have faults, they're not perfect, but you clearly have zero idea as to what consist of a 'shitty' game versus a game that doesn't follow in the footsteps of its predecessors but are at least freaking functional and don't require a miracle to even run.

Right, because I or anyone whom happened to buy Skyrim we 'created' something like Fallout 76, and we're responsible for BioWare's demise. Makes perfect sense (hopefully at this point you realize this is sarcasm since I fully expect you to quote this part for a counter argument). You, sir, must be one heck of a fun guy to have at parties.

ShadowDuke likes this.
  19. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Actually you have problem with this. Where did i state that Skyrim or D3 are directly responsible to what happened with Bioware? Find me that text!
    What i'm telling you that this has become a trend in the last 10 years, this production of shitty/dumb games. It's not just Bioware. Again, the reason why these companies produce stupid games is because consumers with low standards buy them, including you. Try to contemplate this.

And btw, what kind of mental construct can say that Skyrim and D3 are masterpieces in comparison to F76!? Is this an excuse maybe? Why would i compare any game to F76?

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    like crisis.