Monitor going blank under load

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Boban70, Jan 25, 2020.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Has there ever been a bios update released for your card?

2. DukeNuk

DukeNuk Member

GPU:
    Vega 56 Nitro+ LE
    both cards are running latest bios avaivable out of box.

3. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Did you try to disable all the AMD technologies? Try to disable all of them if you have not tried it yet (Anti-Lag, Chill, Image Sharpening, Enhanced Sync, Virtual Super Resolution, HDMI Link Assurance).

If the fps in the games goes over the refresh rate of your monitor did you try to limit the fps or enable vsync (if the game doesn't let you do that)? I had problems with my 5700XT and my FreeSync monitor when the fps goes way over 144 fps. Most games these days let you limit the fps.

Scratch that last part just looked at the spec of your computer and that's certainly not the problem.

4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    One thing I did notice when I had my black screen, is that the game I was running was still running. If this is a driver bug, and it blanked because of it, the driver would have crashed, and gotten restarted. This did not happen. I think what happened is that DWM failed. I think the current setup sometimes enables fullscreen mode outside of the game, which is why many people complain of white flickering on the desktop. It's the effect VRR has on the desktop compositor.

I decided to go ahead and disable the option in Advanced Graphic Option in Windows to not enable VRR for unsupported games. I haven't seen the white flickering since. Also, no blank screens for a couple of days too.

5. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT

"Thank you everyone who commented here trying to help.

OK, I have some results.

Using the HDMI cable recommended by tsumani as well as a monoprice 48Gbps HDMI cable had the same results, screen going blank/black. I had in the past even set the resolution to the same as the old monitor which I believe is 1600x900@60Hz. It made those settings both in Windows and in the game manually. Same issue in HDMI. I have probably tried at least 5 different HDMI cables.

Using a DP cable has not brought about the screen going black. Using the DP cable, I even set BF1 settings to Ultra at resolution 1920x1080@144Hz.

Even though with this gaming monitor I had the freesync FPS number display (overlay) enabled (top right side) as well and the center screen gun sights, when this blank condition happens, both the FPS and gun sights disappear, even though they are not being projected on the monitor by the display source, they are projected by the monitor. The exact same thing happens when I just disconnect any kind of video cable, even the gun sights go away. This has made me suspect the monitor.

So, I also picked up another one of these ACER VG240Y monitors, thinking I'd test and return the first. The same issues remain while using the second monitor, but only while using HDMI. No problems using DP.

Thoughts:

1. Maybe I always had an HDMI problem/limitation on my RX 480 card and I didn't know it.
    2. Maybe both of these monitors (now seemingly not on Microcenter's website unless using google to find it) have failures in their HDMI inputs/processing."

This?

1,000,000%?

386SX likes this.
  6. DukeNuk

DukeNuk Member

GPU:
    Vega 56 Nitro+ LE
    how changing a cable is fixing problem? it's avoiding it. it's not fixed by any way, it's just workaround. second, what is you problem with someone else joining topic with same problem that can't be simply avoided by changing cable?

7. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    On my Vega 64 if I connect to the TV with a crap HBMI cable and push it to 4k its just disconnects or gets the black screen bug, so I just got a really good HBMI gold plated etc. This bug just went it does 4k now without any issue.

With Display port there is no issue

8. DukeNuk

DukeNuk Member

GPU:
    Vega 56 Nitro+ LE
    i'm on DP since i got new monitor. same thing keeps going. and again, same machine, same monitor, same cable no issue in Linux.

9. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    He doesn't have the issue anymore? Problem fixed. You can see it your way, np.

"what is you problem with someone else joining topic with same problem that can't be simply avoided by changing cable?"

Was I talking about your issue?

10. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    I own an Acer monitor as well (w/ FreeSync, too) and it is described in the manual that HDMI and DVI don't get 144hz, so if you choose that when on HDMI / DVI, this results in a blank / black screen.
    Only DisplayPort is "capable" of running at 144hz, that's why your error vanished. Read the manual of the monitor again, and you will see. ;)