AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 20.2.1 driver download & discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 3, 2020.

1. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT

Its fine if Windows installs the basic driver, you are going to use Device Manger to update it anyway.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I do think you might be onto something here rflair, the radeon settings interface itself could be a source of black screens.

3. Lipici

Lipici Member

GPU:
    There is no difference between you and those people who have problrms. You making supositions just like them.
    Also: you are more funny than amd drivers. To install windows again. Works with old video card but with the new ome dosent work so you need to reinstall OS. :)) I think this will see at next driver at fixed issues: reinstall OS.

4. Montville

Montville Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 7900XT
    Just to mention after a long time I installed this driver, up from 19.4.3, and guess what... audio is muffled by about 70% system wide.. not just in games. Okay then, just another driver flop.... hence returned to 19.4.3 and all is well again.

I wonder when AMD is going to boot the whole driver department to the kerbside and get competent people on the job?

have a great time all ;)

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Good info on Borderlands 3 and Jedi Knight which were known to be a bit prone to stability issues, Division 2 I can keep running for hours no problems so can't say much on that title. :)
    Atelier games are a matter of when for black screen errors here and Ghost Recon Breakpoint is prone to frequent non-black screen driver crashes (Recovers though, really well also other than Wattman doing it's safety thing and going back to defaults which well it's good I suppose if overrides are in place.) though as I mentioned adding in DXVK just makes it work though I can't say what it resolves.

Atelier is doing weird stuff to the PCI Express bus, syncing for how it manages the swap chain and overall violating the D3D API standards in new and weird ways plus the issues affect the console builds too though as that's the only title I have where it gets that bad it's not a definitive factor as well that sort of shoddy coding practice isn't very common for good reason. (The PCI bus thing destroys any chance of non-stuttery smoothness it's just impossible for how bad it's hitting things here and chocking the rest of data and the sync stuff kinda completely shoots down any chance of good GPU usage because it drops four imes per frame doing this check stuff first so yeah.)

EDIT: Been trying to use Breakpoint and seeing if I can get D3D11 stable but Wattman or defaults or just tweaking it down or up or other changes and no effect at all, 15 - 20 minutes and it's crash time. :D

DXVK and Wattman and even overclocking and yeah just leave the game overnight and it's still going, wish I knew what was breaking Breakpoint here. :p
    (D3D11 1.2v down to 1700 Mhz and other tweaks and nope 15 minutes better do that mission fast!)
    (DXVK 1.1 2000 Mhz a slight bump in power draw to make the GPU hit that and 12+ hours still sitting in that Bi..Bio...Biu....The Camp. No issues!)

Least it can rule out the GPU settings partially and some of the hardware but not very conclusively other than well it's stable here but not here ha ha.

Well just have to keep testing whenever new drivers are out, might work eventually.
    Of course Division 2 just keeps going and EAC eliminates DXVK anyway but higher clocks are no issue at all.
    (Different games, different demands, different results and differing stability isn't new though so that's not very telling on it's own.)

Division 2 also is still using a older AMD ADL file whereas Breakpoint updates their AMD driver library add-in .dll file every few patches to almost up to the newest 5.3.x version now and fun stuff with what that adds.
    (That aren't really applicable since Breakpoint has hinted at but still doesn't support Vulkan - or D3D12 - so some of the ADL changes for these API's won't be doing much, yet.)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    LocoDiceGR likes this.
  6. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Borderlands 3 and Jedi Fallen Order are also on Unreal Engine 4 which AMD has had issues with both performance and stability wise so if those are fine well that's really good results too plus I think JFO is on D3D11 whereas Borderlands 3 was D3D11 but then updated and now defaults to D3D12 if available.

EDIT: Both should also be fairly up there in terms of what UE4 build specifically they're on so newer fancy tech and features and more demanding still so if that's stable that's really good now compared to initial reports for these two titles. :)

7. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Anyone being a guinea pig for the "pro enterprise" variant of the driver which now support "as is" the non-pro Radeon GPUs?

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Any news on the next driver with a possible solution to these issues?

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    whens the 6700 launch?

10. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    If AMD's doing near daily builds for the Vanguard program now they're probably onto something and trying to close whatever that is although the situation then goes into whether that will roll into the next driver which would be a process of testing and would thus take a bit more time before a public release of said driver or if it'll be for the driver after that at which point whatever 20.2.2 will contain could be released fairly soon though as usual there's no real date to any of this outside of AMD pre-announcing the release via sources like Twitter which happens but infrequently.

Lead of the Vanguard program and a few other AMD staff sometimes frequent the Reddit or a few forums but they can't really go into too much detail for what they're allowed to share and some of the regular users involved in the Vanguard program seem to have been given a few warnings or being timed out from the program for sharing a bit much so AMD is pretty serious about them not leaking anything specific even if they don't actively engage in discussion they're certainly monitoring and reading many sites and discussion boards like this one.

EDIT: But the matter is also that there are a number of open issues that need to be resolved so what fixes the next driver will contain could be almost anything in addition to possibly having support for some upcoming game or whatever.

Both what's listed under known issues and several things that are not or might apply but for earlier GPU models or that got de-listed but are still very much a thing.

Just a guess on my end but that hardware acceleration issue is probably a big priority as well and testing should be easier for getting it resolved.
    Better routines on backwards retention and keeping fixed issues fixed would be very much a improvement too especially this particular problem and how it keeps recurring.
    (Things change and issues come back and all that but even so it's been going for a long time with various grades of severity and it's kinda silly so some improvement would be nice.)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Undying likes this.

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    What is the Vanguard program?

12. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
  13. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah their user engaging sort of closed beta testing with a bigger focus group and more varied hardware and software but not a completely open beta and it's controlled but there is a few bits of info from sources like AMD themselves since the ongoing Navi issues and other Adrenaline 2020 problems and longer standing problems for the Radeon VII, Polaris and Vega don't exactly look good for AMD's GPU division and their driver teams so there has been more direct communication and response unlike the earlier mostly silent situation as this has developed over a few months now. :)

Still takes time for these to roll into the main release branch drivers but it's definitively being worked on though other than what gets posted I don't have much insight into things but it's clear these problems are a bigger priority and there's some ongoing process or development that I hope will see several of these issues closed in the next couple of driver releases. (Some of it though well it might take time to properly identify and fix and other issues still aren't talked about much.)

14. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    i have 2 issues that affect me

1) the odd black screen requiring hard reboot however my power buttons work normal and 1 time it recovered

2) memory locks to 1000Mhz or 1250Mhz

15. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Higher refresh rate monitor? AMD tends to run the memory at a higher state and voltage for well there's some reason behind it but you end up on the low or mid state instead of the idle one which at the way Adrenaline 2020 shows memory clocks that's around ~500 Mhz.

There's a workaround but it involves using Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) to add a custom resolution with modified values for the refresh rate which however the driver handles this it goes back to idle speeds again.

16. xxela

xxela Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 XT Red Devil
    Do AMD tends to run the memory at a higher state and voltage only on some systems? or only with specific drivers? i have 144 Hz freesync monitor and I had this bug all 2019. It was intermittent some drivers fixed some bring it back. After 2020 adrenalin release - 19.12.2 it was gone and it stay gone for now. I think is a bug ; why it manifest on some systems and on others not I don't know.

17. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    For GDDR I think they do but not for HBM such as the Fury and Navi cards at least far as I know though the behavior is something they changed in the driver software a while back and it's affected the 300 series and up to Polaris and now Navi for how the memory clock speeds are running at roughly half speed instead of idle.

EDIT: Bit uncertain on the specifics as well but at or just above 120 Hz for the refresh rate on the display meaning some 120 Hz models depending on what their horizontal and vertical refresh rate values are and then the higher 144 Hz displays and above.

With the workaround from how I remembering that's simply a custom mode with the let's see if I get this right the horizontal refresh rate value is lowered by one.
    Apply the custom values test so that it works which I believe CRU handles and then it's just a quick confirmation that the memory clocks have gone back to idle speeds and that should be it.

18. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guinea Pig Level 2

Undying, MaCk0y and pharma like this.
  19. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    [​IMG]

20. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru