I think I've diagnosed a huge Nvidia problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Danny_G13, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Hi, so I'd been plagued by lock ups on wake (windows 10) for a long time, and couldn't diagnose because no errors were appearing.

About 3 weeks ago, one finally appeared in reliability monitor and a bit of googling claimed it was the Nvidia drivers.

I switched back to an old set, and hey presto, I've not had a single lock up since.

So, I THINK I've diagnosed the problem. The issue is how to fix this?

Basically, most if not all Nvidia drivers after May 2018 seem to be upset with the April/May Windows 10 update last year, and cause this crashing problem - it's a well-known issue and happens in different ways. Mine is a wake up lock, others it's a standby lock or whatever.

But older drivers are obviously not ideal to use as a solution, and I'm losing features and performance.

So... any ideas?

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Why arent you updating windows ?

BlindBison, Xtreme512, TimmyP and 3 others like this.
  3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Second question: why do you use sleep/wake?

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    there are no significant sleep/wake issues in current drivers with current windows 10 editions.

anything that does arise is specific to particular vendors with their differences in ACPI implementations.

The fact you are overclocking also becomes a factor.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I had a lockup with 442.19 after resume from sleep. PC would try to turn on and went into a boot cycle and in end it auto restarted.

Didn't have that in a long time. Didn't see it again when I returned to 442.01.

Danny_G13 likes this.
  6. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    I am, sorry, I meant following that update in April last year this has become an issue with all subsequent versions.

7. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Because I need quick access to my work at all times.

8. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    It happened on stock. Trust me, I'm not arguing this point, I'm not posting asking for anyone to approve my diagnosis, I am asking for a solution to an Nvidia problem that I and others have diagnosed.

9. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Interesting. Perhaps 442.01 might be an answer. Thank you for this reply.

-Tj- likes this.
  10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    20 seconds access without problems is better than 3 seconds access with problems.

patteSatan, Smough, artina90 and 2 others like this.

11. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    Sleep isn't a brand new feature, it should work in 2020, lol. Telling someone to not use it, isn't exactly a good solution. Better to get at the specific cause in this instance.

Keitosha, Herochild, gx-x and 6 others like this.
  12. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I used to have problems with sleep mode on W10 not resuming correctly where certain applications hung/froze, however switching over to hibernate fixed those problems for me and now my system resumes with no problem.. although hibernate does take a little bit longer as it's pretty close to fully shutting down. Still better than completely shutting down for me.

13. dexterav

dexterav Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090 OC
    problem is, not working for all
    and be honest start from off is still better option and some error just simple disappearing because HW and SW just simply reset to right state
    but after sleep, hybernate, hybrid boot, well crap happens
    remember if win making trable, you just restart os and in 99% trouble is gone :D

and second, my system boot 4-5s...
    and its full off crap ofcourse, why i bottering with sleep , hybernate etc without any advantage
    just its only my BFU opinion

14. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Exactly. Telling someone off for a lifestyle choice and need rather than fixing the non-working tech is not a solution.

Like when you ask on an iPhone forum why this or that happens and some smart Alek explains you should be using an Android instead.

tiliarou likes this.
  15. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Yeah I tried hibernating but had the same issue. Ever since that April update.

Basically the monitor comes on, and I get the lock screen but the globe icon for network has an x in it and the system's locked.

Or the monitor comes on black, and I get nothing.

Ever since going back to May 2018 drivers I've had this thing online about 16 days without any hitches at all.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its not an nvidia problem, its a platform problem

Theres nothing well known or mass diagnosed here, vocal handful who presumes themselves to be a larger number than they actually are.

Oh, and PSA, part of that group already worked out that it was their samsung nvme drivers that were the problem.

and it does, when you're not overclocking or have re-evaluated your overclock to be safe with current drivers or use a mainboard that resumes from s3 properly (many don't).

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    We all wish you success in resolving sleep/wake issues. We would gladly assist you, but this is not an easy thing to do in the forum. Plus, all users who do not utilise sleep/hibernation have not experience in the matter.

Just do not go crazy if you would fail, remember that alternative - to not use sleep/wake - is not much worse in speed (if you can assemble and configure a capable rig).

18. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Thank you for the kind words, but I've kind of diagnosed it? That's the whole point. I just needed to know of a workaround and one was provided in here. Which is, as you say, what you're all trying to do.

So mission hopefully successful!

mbk1969 likes this.
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You haven't diagnosed anything, you got to "oh, it doesn't occur if i do this" and stopped instead of delving into the why and combination testing.

Something about your system is a factor, be it drivers for other devices, the bios / nvcache itself or a previously untriggerable hardware issue.

But you've resisted all attempts to pull further information out of you.

Samsung NVME driver 3.0 explicitly locked up 1809 and later windows 10 installs on wake from S3.
    The Realtek driver asus is currently distributing for that board is also a known cause of hangs with Geforce systems, up to and including 6.0.1.8746

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    Smough likes this.
  20. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    I learned to never again use any sleep/hybernation features. All I got was BSODs, black screens or the system stuck at logon screen. This happened with 2 different systems that I had, so with this one I have now simply don't use that.

Mostly, what I got was blue screens, with different errors each time. I tried to troubleshoot it, even asking at forums, but no one really knew the exact reason. After I stopped using that and just turning off my computer sometimes to save energy/let it "rest", no more issues.

Waiting the 13 seconds everything takes to boot is fine by me, rather have everything running correctly that full of errors or unexpected behaviors.