Did i damage my gpu/gpus ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by hosseintaheri, Feb 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. hosseintaheri

hosseintaheri Guest

GPU:
    1080 ti sli
    Hi dears,
    I had overclocked my gpus before with after burner , and it did work fine , with these settings:
    +150 on core
    +300 on memory
    120% power
    And custom fan curve,
    My cards are founders edition,
    Today i decided to clean uninstall after burner to update it (removed settings too) , after i updated it to new version, and overclocked it again , i ran rainbow six siege , at the beginning the game crashed , i ignored it cause my oc settings were fine before after i ran the game for 2nd time my game crashed again , and my pc was not responding to any key , so i pressed the restart button, after the pc booted up I realized that i did +300 on core instead of memory . I had never touched the core voltage, it seems that my gpu is working fine now , but i wish to know can something like this case cause damage to my gpu ? Can a bad oc like this cause a gpu to permanently lose its former performance?(for example produce less fps than before),should i be worried about my mistake?

2. Did you try it again with the stock settings? It's probably ok if was just once. It is possible to damage them in such a way, but one time for just a little bit shouldn't be too bad.

hosseintaheri likes this.
  3. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It's pretty rare to damage through core clocking, most damage comes from increased voltages. It can happen but it's unlikely, the GPU just shuts down and restarts on default clocks, so to speak via driver crash.

hosseintaheri and A M D BugBear like this.
  4. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP

5. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Overclocking the memory, in most cases I have seen on my side, can cause artifacts or quite possibly game to hang, and yes at times, have to do a hard reset.

Personally if you want to overclock, I would first start the gpu, find a stable overclock then the memory afterwards.

I know in some cases that, even if your memory is very stable(Overclocked) you can actually in-fact lose performance in a long run, same goes for system memory.

Even though it might look 100% stable, its actually losing performance, that's the time you want to back down your memory clocks.

Yes, not just memory, but gpu speed as well.

I know on my side, I have ran some games over 1600mhz on my 970, in single gpu mode, even though it looked very stable, even if you over-volted the card/Hardcore bios modding, doesn't matter, I did in-fact lost performance in a long run, judging from benchmarks.

Every tried unigine heaven 4.0? If so, did it run well?

6. dentomanan

dentomanan Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    I think the problem is with the drivers. Try installing an older version.

7. hosseintaheri

hosseintaheri Guest

GPU:
    1080 ti sli

8. hosseintaheri

hosseintaheri Guest

GPU:
    1080 ti sli
    Yes i tried heaven, no artiffacts, crash , freezing, after resetting oc setting to default