ASUS Outs notice on cooler mounting issue STRIX Radeon RX 5700 Series

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    How "lucky" we are.
    If you go to Home Depot and they sell you a suspended shelf and the wrong screws, you end up with a shelf falling off the wall and hitting something or someone.
    Luckily, it's just a video card, it will just overheat and underperform.
    Yeah, it's like 10 times more expensive like a shelf, but everyone is safe, right?
    Yes, you payed 400-500 and you will not get the performance you saw in the benchmark, but this is a small price to pay of you look at the bigger picture. Think about the children!
    Thanks Asus, you just made my day!
    Not that I would buy a Navi GPU ( no money) but really, don't you have your own engineering team testing things inside and outside the limits of the manufacturer recommendations?

Neo Cyrus and Solfaur like this.
  3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    They do, that's why this is happening. They even offer to handle the switch of screws for you in their service centers, wherever those might be.

4. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Huge fail, really late reply to the community too. ...7 months later is just rediculous. This is why people are only buying 1 of the following 4 Radeon partner cards: Sapphire Pulse/Nitro+, the PowerColor Red Dragon, or the GIGABYTE Gaming OC. Every other partner card is just worse in one way or another.

Fox2232 and anticupidon like this.

5. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Finally some sort of apology for bad ASUS coolers on the AMD line of cards.
    Still a bit negative that i needed to fix my Vega 64 card myself, could not RMA the card, because ASUS said it was "Working as intended".

anticupidon likes this.
  6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Glad I went with an MSI branded reference card and not an ASUS STRIX card....

anticupidon likes this.
  7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    After my experience with Asus Strix I'm not surprised by yet again seeing Asus having issues building AMD video cards.

8. svan71

svan71 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I wish EVGA would sell AMD graphics, Asus charges a heavy premium without the support you should expect at the prices they charge, that along with the illegal "void warranty" sticker they place on their cards puts them on not to do list.

9. svan71

svan71 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    you too? my strix lighting stopped working less than a year old, the fiber optic cable turned yellowish and stopped allowing the light to flow through it. Asus refused to rma it or supply me with the means to repair it.

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Yes, my specific "OC" model of card crashes at random when playing video games because Asus set the voltage too high for state 7, it took me about a year to figure out that I needed to undervolt the card to make it usable...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020

11. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    According to other websites Asus are blaming AMD as the stated mounting pressure isn't sufficient enough to transfer the heat. Asus found that increasing the mounting pressure with different screws resolved the issue. All previous cards will probably need to be RMA'd. Sources: Techradar, Windows Central.

12. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    That's what this article is saying too.

What I don't get though, is why are we not hearing about any other OEM cards having these problems? I mean this is Asus we're talking here, literally the 970 Strix the big heat pipe cooler didn't even touch the VRMs even with a thermal pad included.

Kind of just seems like poor oversight from Asus. It happens sometimes. If I remember correctly Gigabyte Vega 64 cards used the same cooler from their pascal cards, but these had issues with the Vega chip since it wasn't designed for it. MSI Armor series has some problems with their RX 580. Heck even XFX had their issue with the 5700 cooling. All of these were design oversight on the OEM's part.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    nick0323, Maddness and KissSh0t like this.
  13. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Asus, especially the ROG series, was my go to brand back when I was building my i7 3960X rig, bought the Rampage IV Extreme. Along the way, got a Maximus IV Gene-Z, even had a couple of Asus HD series GPU's way back) but that is all in the past now, I look to MSI and Gigabyte for mobo's and GPU's. Asus has totally dropped out of my radar because I find the premium paid for their ROG mobo's and GPU's to be NOT worthwhile. Their shifting the blame for their own folly doesn't quite ingratiate themselves to me, and other like-minded peeps.

But when it comes to AMD GPU's, I'd recently branched out to a couple of Gigabyte RX VEGA64 Gaming OC's, but my usual go to AMD cards is either PowerColor or Sapphire. I'll prolly upgrade my GPU's later on in the year, 2nd half to 3rd quarter (would wait for dust and hype to settle as well as stable drivers) before I'd look at big NAVI.

As of late, some minor issues with the newer Adrenalin 2020 drivers, but ain't anything to write home about.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    They did though.

Even the 5700xt reference cooler required a washer mod to increase pressure.

15. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    What exactly is this fixing? Of course putting more pressure on anything is going to give better contact. But I wouldn't say the design is broken in this case. Without the washers, temps are still in viable range as shown in the video. Literally the biggest difference is barely 3c.

On the other hand of the Strix 5700 where obviously it's an issue that hinders performance of the card if Asus is recalling them.

16. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    The fact is though, that even if AMD did give Asus the wrong mounting pressure surely the onus is on Asus to test these cards before releasing them to the public. This really is Asus screw up.

17. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I had trouble with my Strix gtx 1070. After 2 years the factory oc went unstable and i had to run it at stock clock. Assumed it was a bad chip but maybe it was the cooler getting loose.

18. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Yeah I had to repaste my RX480 only a couple of weeks ago. My temps were hitting low to mid 90s and my PC was shutting down. After that I'm now in the high 60s low 70s and stable again.

19. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    Couldn't get Asus to RMA my 580 after it failed, under 1 year old because I didn't buy it off a big company and I had to return via them. Will never touch them again for anything.

20. djismGAMING

djismGAMING Member

GPU:
    RX 470 4GB
    Hi, do you have the STRIX RX 470 OC yet?

If so, can you share your Bios version and this voltage setting if this is the card (STRIX RX 470 OC) in question?

I have one and don't know if i'm in the latest BIOS, although the latest update from ASUS's site says so, I've experimented too much with different BIOSes on this card.

GPU-Z shows Bios version as 015.050.000.000.000000 on my card

Thanks in advance if this is possible. :D